Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.

Hi, Catholic Match family! :)

This May I am going on a 10-day vacation to California and am greatly seeking ideas for things to do there, see there, places to eat, etc. I've been using the tips from friends and family who have been there/live there as well as Trip Advisor, etc. And, I've got the obvious things on my list--such as going down Rodeo Drive, seeing the Hollywood sign, etc. However, here is a brief description of my itinerary: (please note I am open to any and all ideas; I'm really big on seeing things that are unique, Mom & Pop places to eat, etc.)

Flying into LA & staying 4 days

Driving up the Pacific Coast & staying the 3 nights in Carmel

Spending a day in San Francisco

Driving up to Sonoma and Napa Valley & spending 2 nights there

Driving to Sacramento and spending one night there

Any and ALL ideas are greatly appreicated! You can post them here of PM me. Thanks! :)

Mar 14th 2013 new

Sounds good to me! You are on the right track.i have no details to add,sorry.I haven't even been to these places yet. wave Have fun!

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Sounds good to me! You are on the right track.i have no details to add,sorry.I haven't even b...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Sounds good to me! You are on the right track.i have no details to add,sorry.I haven't even been to these places yet. Have fun!

--hide--

Well, thanks Bernard! :) I'm hoping more people will contribute. I've noticed a lot of people on this site live in Cali. I'm pretty sure I've got my bases covered for things to do but it's always best to check with the locals or those who've been there! We'll see...

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Hi, Catholic Match family! :) This May I am going on a 10-day vacation to Cali...
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:

This May I am going on a 10-day vacation to California and am greatly seeking ideas for things to do there, see there, places to eat, etc. I've been using the tips from friends and family who have been there/live there as well as Trip Advisor, etc. And, I've got the obvious things on my list--such as going down Rodeo Drive, seeing the Hollywood sign, etc. However, here is a brief description of my itinerary: (please note I am open to any and all ideas; I'm really big on seeing things that are unique, Mom & Pop places to eat, etc.)

Any and ALL ideas are greatly appreicated! You can post them here of PM me. Thanks! :)

--hide--

Hi Tiffiany! It's been 100 years since I've been to Northern California. With that said, I think it's worth it to spend more than a couple of days in San Francisco. There's the Warf and Ghiradelli Square and Chinatown - to name just a few, and, of course, you must ride on a street car! Also, I used to fly in and out of Sacramento (again, 100 years ago!), and, while downtown, I would always visit a cathedral not far from the capitol buildings. In addition, look into taking a tour of Hearst Castle.

As far as LA is concerned, if you are interested in the glitz of Hollywood, you really belong in Beverly Hills. Hollywood itself is quite seedy - interesting, but seedy. I'll have to double-check, but I think I was given the name of a deli called Nate's that is the best in town. I was meaning to get there a couple of years ago and couldn't because my mom got sick. My friend ended up taking the tour of the stars homes with another friend (we were supposed to do both for his birthday) and said it was great! There's also Venice, which can be a blast! Are you coming alone or with a friend?

If you decide to head South - Orange County, let me know and I will try to meet you. If you would like more information about where to go and what to see, private message me. AAA guide books are always a great source, too! If I know what interests you, I can make some suggestions. I just need to find my travel cap!! Chelle

Mar 15th 2013 new

Tiffany, in May the waterfalls in Yosemite National Park are incredible!! You should try to get into the park and have tea on the patio at the Awahnee Hotel, and just take in the massive granite cliffs and waterfalls. However, the drive from Sacramento to Yosemite is about 4 hours one-way...

I agree, Highway 1 up the California Coast is beautiful! (I was raised there for part of my life wink ).

The Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in Sacramento is on 10th & K Street, but I'm partial to St. Francis of Assisi on 28 and K--it's where my mom made her First Communion in the late 1920's, and also where I made mine--only quite a few years later!!

If you make it over to Yosemite, give me a holler, and I'll come join you for the day! Maybe Marian of Clovis can come, too...

Bon Voyage!!

Mar 15th 2013 new

1. If you can arrange it, START the trip in Northern California. (See #8 to learn why.)

2. SKIP Sacramento unless you are particularly interested in the Gold Rush/mid-19th century history. If that's the case, visit Sutter's Fort and Old Town. If time permits, visit the state capitol building.

3. Go to Napa if you are a wine connaisseur. Otherwise, SKIP it. Also, only spend one day. Forget Sonoma -- there's nothing there except the mission, and it's not a great one.

4. Visit Point Reyes National Seashore & Drake's Bay if you have a whole day.

5. Visit Muir Woods EARLY in the day (arrive before 9:00). Bring a picnic. Hike in the woods, then eat lunch at Muir Beach. (North end is clothing-optional.) Then drive to the top of Mt. Tamalpais -- if the weather is good, the view is stupendous. On the way back towards the Golden Gate bridge, take the last exit on the right and drive along the Marin headlands -- best view of the Bridge. There are old coastal artillery batteries in the hillsides and a lighthouse (it closes early, so check the times).

6. San Francisco deserves more than a single day!
Things to see: Mission Dolores. Old St. Mary's Cathedral in Chinatown. Grant Avenue, Chinatown. (Go to the Four Seas restaurant for dim sum lunch.) Walk through North Beach (Italian neighborhood) to Fisherman's Wharf if you must. (Tourist trap.) Then ride the cable car from Powell Street back to downtown.
Alcatraz is worth a visit, but you must get your tickets far in advance and be on time.
Check out the show "Beach Blanket Babylon" if you can -- silly but lots of fun. www.beachblanketbabylon.com
San Francisco Zoo is pretty good, and right off the beach (swim if you dare). Drive through Golden Gate park, visit the Arboretum and Japanese tea garden, see the buffalo herd. Drive to the top of Twin Peaks for a view of the city.

7. Drive from San Fran south on I-280/US 101, stopping at San Juan Bautista Mission (if you have the time). In Monterey, visit the Aquarium (where Mr. Spock swam with the whales). Allow 1/2 day for the Aquarium. In Pacific Grove, visit the butterfly sanctuary, then see Mission Carmel in Carmel. Carmel itself is pretty, but it's a town for lovers...really stinks to visit it alone. In any case, two nights would be enough.

8. From Carmel, go South on CA-1, the coastal highway. An all-day drive will get you most of the way to Los Angeles. The road is high, winding, and has no guardrail...the views are great. But if you drive it northbound, you see nothing at all.

9. At San Simeon, visit Hearst's Castle.

Ten days is not enough to see the Sierra Nevada or the Mojave or Death Valley...but you'll go back. biggrin

Mar 15th 2013 new

Dress warmly! Northern California is hot in late July and October, and the coast can be chilly all year round.

California saying: You know who the tourists are -- they're the ones with the blue knees.

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: 1. If you can arrange it, START the trip in Northern California. (See #8 to learn why.) 2...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

1. If you can arrange it, START the trip in Northern California. (See #8 to learn why.)

2. SKIP Sacramento unless you are particularly interested in the Gold Rush/mid-19th century history. If that's the case, visit Sutter's Fort and Old Town. If time permits, visit the state capitol building.

3. Go to Napa if you are a wine connaisseur. Otherwise, SKIP it. Also, only spend one day. Forget Sonoma -- there's nothing there except the mission, and it's not a great one.

4. Visit Point Reyes National Seashore & Drake's Bay if you have a whole day.

5. Visit Muir Woods EARLY in the day (arrive before 9:00). Bring a picnic. Hike in the woods, then eat lunch at Muir Beach. (North end is clothing-optional.) Then drive to the top of Mt. Tamalpais -- if the weather is good, the view is stupendous. On the way back towards the Golden Gate bridge, take the last exit on the right and drive along the Marin headlands -- best view of the Bridge. There are old coastal artillery batteries in the hillsides and a lighthouse (it closes early, so check the times).

6. San Francisco deserves more than a single day!
Things to see: Mission Dolores. Old St. Mary's Cathedral in Chinatown. Grant Avenue, Chinatown. (Go to the Four Seas restaurant for dim sum lunch.) Walk through North Beach (Italian neighborhood) to Fisherman's Wharf if you must. (Tourist trap.) Then ride the cable car from Powell Street back to downtown.
Alcatraz is worth a visit, but you must get your tickets far in advance and be on time.
Check out the show "Beach Blanket Babylon" if you can -- silly but lots of fun. www.beachblanketbabylon.com
San Francisco Zoo is pretty good, and right off the beach (swim if you dare). Drive through Golden Gate park, visit the Arboretum and Japanese tea garden, see the buffalo herd. Drive to the top of Twin Peaks for a view of the city.

7. Drive from San Fran south on I-280/US 101, stopping at San Juan Bautista Mission (if you have the time). In Monterey, visit the Aquarium (where Mr. Spock swam with the whales). Allow 1/2 day for the Aquarium. In Pacific Grove, visit the butterfly sanctuary, then see Mission Carmel in Carmel. Carmel itself is pretty, but it's a town for lovers...really stinks to visit it alone. In any case, two nights would be enough.

8. From Carmel, go South on CA-1, the coastal highway. An all-day drive will get you most of the way to Los Angeles. The road is high, winding, and has no guardrail...the views are great. But if you drive it northbound, you see nothing at all.

9. At San Simeon, visit Hearst's Castle.

Ten days is not enough to see the Sierra Nevada or the Mojave or Death Valley...but you'll go back.

--hide--

Hi Marge and Beverly! Great suggestions for the tour of Alcatraz and seeing Yosemite. I went to Alcatraz when there were still personal guides; it was fantastic! I thought about it as I was falling asleep last night. Also, Yosemite is worth a drive through and cup of tea, if nothing else. The views are breathtaking!

Hi Tiffiany! The Madonna Inn is great for a pottie stop. I think it's off of Highway 101. There's Solvang, as well. Also, when you're in Los Angeles, you can take Sunset Blvd from Hollywood to Beverly Hills; I think it ends in Malibu (you'll have to check a map). There's a seafood restaurant right on the beach called Gladstones. If nothing else, I'm sure they have a bar; you can watch the sunset! The Santa Monica pier is also an option.

Marge is right! Ten days is not enough, but you should be able to do the central part of California proud. It's about an 8-hour trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles - I think around 500 and some-odd miles. The driving/traffic in SF and LA are challenging, if you are not used to it - especially in SF because of the hills. (SF does have the cable cars, though, and LA now has a subway.) You're going to have a great time, though; I'm so excited for you! Chelle

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Hi, Catholic Match family! :) This May I am going on a 10-day vacation to Cali...
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:

--hide--

Tiffany,

I agree with those who say you should spend more time in San Francisco; you might want to take one or two from your four days in LA.

(It's a shame you're not driving south towards San Diego; Laguna Beach would be a must-see.)

Mar 15th 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: Tiffany,I agree with those who say you should spend more time in San Franci...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

Tiffany,

I agree with those who say you should spend more time in San Francisco; you might want to take one or two from your four days in LA.

(It's a shame you're not driving south towards San Diego; Laguna Beach would be a must-see.)

--hide--

Hi, everyone!

Alright, well unfortunately due to plane ticket reservations and hotel reservations I have to do certain things as planned--such as fly into LA and then out of Sacramento. However, I am trying my best to spend at least one night in San Francisco. So, specifically, what are some things to do in San Fran? So far this is what I have: Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, the iconic row of houses (think Full House), and Ghiradelli Square.

Thanks for everyone's input! I am truly grateful and having a blast making a list of all the must-sees and to-dos. I am really big into Hollywood glitz and glamour so there are some things that I want to do in LA, BH, and Hollywood for sure. I'm going with my cousin who is also a huge film fanatic so I've got to plan this with her preferences in mind as well! :)

Posts 1 - 10 of 21