Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.
Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:, specifically, what are some things to do in San Fran? So far this is what I have: Golden Gate Bridge...
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:, specifically, what are some things to do in San Fran? So far this is what I have: Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, the iconic row of houses (think Full House), and Ghiradelli Square.
--hide--

- Forget Ghiradelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf -- they are just shops and pricey restaurants.
- Forget "Full House". It's just a neighborhood...and probably doesn't look like that anymore. (C'mon, that show happened 25 years ago.)
- Walk across the bridge if you can.
- See Alcatraz.
- See Chinatown.
- Ride a cablecar.
- Drive down Lombard street. (crookedest street in the world)
- See the Japanese tea garden.
- See the giant redwood trees in Muir Woods (45 minutes north of GG bridge).
- If you have time, stop in Fairfield on the way to Sacramento and visit the Jelly Belly jellybean factory.

Mar 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: - Forget Ghiradelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf -- they are just shops and pricey re...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

- Forget Ghiradelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf -- they are just shops and pricey restaurants.
- Forget "Full House". It's just a neighborhood...and probably doesn't look like that anymore. (C'mon, that show happened 25 years ago.)
- Walk across the bridge if you can.
- See Alcatraz.
- See Chinatown.
- Ride a cablecar.
- Drive down Lombard street. (crookedest street in the world)
- See the Japanese tea garden.
- See the giant redwood trees in Muir Woods (45 minutes north of GG bridge).
- If you have time, stop in Fairfield on the way to Sacramento and visit the Jelly Belly jellybean factory.

--hide--

Alright everyone,

Thanks to your wonderful ideas (and those of friends and acquaintances which God has just recently dropped into my lap), I will be staying at least two nights in the Bay Area. I really appreciate all of your input on places to go and things to see in Cali. I am definitely going to try and do as much as I can while I'm there--and of course I hope this will not be my last time to be there. I'm actually seriously considering graduate school there and will start another thread on that topic--since I want input from people who have lived there/stayed there for an extended period of time. Everyone I know who lives in Cali or has lived there says they LOVE IT! Of course, the biggest complaint is the cost of living. However, there are some amazing grad programs for what I am going into there as well as jobs for my field.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. If you have any further ideas for my Cali trip please feel free to PM me. I'm really bombarded with school, work, etc. and likely won't have time to check this thread. God bless! :)

Mar 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Hi, everyone! Alright, well unfortunately d...
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:

Hi, everyone!

Alright, well unfortunately due to plane ticket reservations and hotel reservations I have to do certain things as planned--such as fly into LA and then out of Sacramento. However, I am trying my best to spend at least one night in San Francisco. So, specifically, what are some things to do in San Fran? So far this is what I have: Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, the iconic row of houses (think Full House), and Ghiradelli Square.

Hi Tiffany,

As a local Californian, I have some ideas for you, but let me stew on this for awhile. I will try to think of things I would have liked as a younger woman.

Here are a few things that stand out for consideration:

1. At SF, you may want to see Chinatown. SF was a major point of entry for Chinese-Americans, so the Chinatown there is significant and fun

2. If you come to CA, you must see at least one of our Catholic missions. Look up CA missions before coming; there are many along coastal CA. Although I just noted that you live in TX. I understand that there are also Spanish mission in NM, so it is possible that you may not be so impressed with them, if seen others in a surrounding state.

3. Do not expect much from Los Angeles. It is not the beach-bonaza represented in the movies. An urban jungle is a better description, so be careful. That image is the Los Angeles of former years. Parts of Hollywood are quite seedy; just so you know,and so won't be dissapointed. You might like Universal Studios, that has much to offer about how movies and special effects are made. You may like the Huntington Library, and the Pasadena area, Malibu, Venice is seedy, but fun to visit and see if you have an open mind.

4. If you must go to Sacramento, you might want to see the state capital building, which is quite nice. Surprisingly, Sacramento is quite small-townish. Although I like that town, there is little of interest.

5. Most of the CA coast is beautiful. A favorite thing to do here is to drive Highway 101, much of which is parallel to the beaches.

6. Go to our Pacific shores, especially Malibu, Venice beach, Monterey coast. They are most often crowed, but it would be worth it to go. I suggest going earlier in the morning, and on a weekday, if possible.

7. The whole state is quite casual as far as dress.

8. Californians can sometimes be icky about "tourists." So don't look like one while here, and you will have fun, e.g., leave any cowboy hats at home, and don't play any country music on your radio.

Thanks for everyone's input! I am truly grateful and having a blast making a list of all the must-sees and to-dos. I am really big into Hollywood glitz and glamour so there are some things that I want to do in LA, BH, and Hollywood for sure. I'm going with my cousin who is also a huge film fanatic so I've got to plan this with her preferences in mind as well! :)

--hide--
Mar 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said:
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said:
--hide--

I wrote a lot but it didn't come through! Will do it again later!
Mar 23rd 2013 new

Sounds like a great road trip, wish there was a CM event for a roadtrip along CA, I would love to go! Make sure you visit Santa Monica.

Ann

Mar 24th 2013 new
Haha! I loved that last part! No worries. I never wear Cowboy hats! Lol. Plus, I'm pretty fashion-savvy and have a nice tan so I'm hoping I won't look like a tourist. Lol.
Mar 24th 2013 new
Tiffany,

As a "local," Californian, I have to put in my 2 cents.

Everyone has given you good advice so far. Ten days seems plenty of time for a vacaton, but since it appears to be much a road trip, there might be some places to see, and some places not as critical. I include some already mentioned advise, to add emphasis.

-I would spend less time in Los Angeles, and more time between L.A. and the "Bay area." Yes, I have lived in Los Angeles at length.

-The HWY 101 trip will be unforgettable, and is a "must do" for sight-seeing along the Pacific coast. Much of the most beautiful parts of CA are along the Pacific Coast, but also the most expensive to visit and live.

-Inland to Sacramento and Yosemite seem a bit off your track. Yosemite is a must-see place, but the inland areas there might be another trip for you. If you do go to Sacramento, you might want to see the capitol building there.

-While in L.A., you might want to see Malibu for beauty, and Venice Beach for fun (at Santa Monica). Parts of the Pasadena area are quite nice where the Rose Parade happens. If there, you might want to see the Huntington Library and Gardens that is nearby. Also, you might want to see Universal Studios in L.A., if you are interested in how movies and made. Chelle wrote that much of Hollywood is seedy, and I agree, but you might want to see the movie related sights just for fun.

While in L.A. you have to be particularly aware of traffic congestion on the freeways, that could hold you up for long periods of time. I recommend early morning freeway driving, like 6:30 am or earlier, or after 7:30 pm. Please be careful on the L.A. freeways. There is a ton of business drivers in L.A., and they move very fast and directed. Study your maps first, including turnoffs, and miles between, and you should be fine.

If you drive south to Anaheim, in Orange County, you could spend an entire day or longer at Disneyland (I am a child at heart).

Bring your walking shoes.

The Bay area coastal areas are beautiful. I would spend some time at Monterey/Carmel.

You must see at least one of the California missions. Read up on the CA history of them first which is CA historical and Catholic history in CA.

At Napa, do a wine tour, that will include wine tasting. It is quite interesting how the wines are made, and many of the wineries have tours for all visitors. Most of these were French/Italian families who relocated their businesses to CA from Europe, hence, fantastic CA wines due to trades already established in Europe.

At San Francisco, I would see Chinatown, as well as some of the other points that you already list. As a point of entry for the Chinese, the Chinatown in SF is large.

Please note that we are hard hit in CA by the gasoline prices. Here in San Diego, it is currently over $4.00 per gallon. I mention this so that you will be prepared.

Dress code in CA is casual,e.g., cute t-shirts, sundresses, sandals and white tennis shoes. Light colors and colorful with a tan is common here. Bring sunglasses, no cowboy hats (while visiting the most liberal areas of CA). Just look like a Californian, and you will be fine here.

Have fun!
Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Hi, Catholic Match family! :) This May I am going on a 10-day vacation to Cali...
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:

Hi, Catholic Match family! :)

This May I am going on a 10-day vacation to California and am greatly seeking ideas for things to do there, see there, places to eat, etc. I've been using the tips from friends and family who have been there/live there as well as Trip Advisor, etc. And, I've got the obvious things on my list--such as going down Rodeo Drive, seeing the Hollywood sign, etc. However, here is a brief description of my itinerary: (please note I am open to any and all ideas; I'm really big on seeing things that are unique, Mom & Pop places to eat, etc.)

Flying into LA & staying 4 days

Driving up the Pacific Coast & staying the 3 nights in Carmel

Spending a day in San Francisco

Driving up to Sonoma and Napa Valley & spending 2 nights there

Driving to Sacramento and spending one night there

Any and ALL ideas are greatly appreicated! You can post them here of PM me. Thanks! :)

--hide--

A holy hottie in Cali. wink Can't believe no one else suggested this!

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: A holy hottie in Cali. Can't believe no one else suggested this!
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

A holy hottie in Cali. Can't believe no one else suggested this!

--hide--

Haha! LOVE IT Tara! That is my new phrase on what I'm going to pray for. I always say "God, can't you just bring me a Godly husband?" But now I'll say "God, please bring me a Holy Hottie!" :)

Mar 24th 2013 new

Jacqueline,

Thank you SO MUCH for all of your tips. I definitely love to hear from those who are locals and know some of the insider information as I call it. LOL

I wish I did have more like 14-20 days to spend in Cali but of course if I relocate there for a job, which it's looking like that's going to happen, then of course I'll have more of an opportunity to go back and explorer the places I missed. It seems like Cali is truly a wonderland of adventure and there is SO MUCH to see and do!

I am definitely going to be spending lots of time between in LA and the Bay Area--my cousin and I are spending three whole days (and maybe four) at a B&B right on the water in Carmel. I'm really into the beach and love the idea of staying in a small, quiet, and quaint beach town. Plus, we get free passes to go on a whale watching tour. They said "be prepared to get drenched" but that seems like a lot of fun anyway. :)

I am definitely going to drive HWY 101 at least for awhile; I have heard that it is amazing to see! So thanks for reminding me. :)

I'm definitely going to try and squeeze in Yosemite even if it is off my track. I plan to go see the Korbel Winery anyway which is only a bit further north from Yosemite, so it might work out.

I am definitely going to spend some time in Beverly Hills and Hollywood just because it's touristy and I've always been into the glitz and glamour of Hollywood since I was a little tike. I was in acting classes and always wanted to be in film and TV (or at least one of the other). Plus, I am a huge movie buff.

I've already got Santa Monica and the SM Peer on my list of must-dos. I mean it is iconic.

Thanks so much for your tips on the traffic. I hear it can be horrendous and living in Houston (the 4th largest city) I know what rush-hour can be like. So, I definitely plan to have me and my cousin up before the crack-of-dawn to get a head-start on the day. Plus, my phone has a great GPS system that takes traffic into account and tells me approximately how long it'll take to get from Point A to Point B so I'm blessed with that. Hopefully God will take care of the rest. I tend to be an aggressive driver so all I have to say to LA folks is "watch out!" Haha.

I am definitely wanting to see Disneyland, especially because I've always been a Disney fan and have been to Disneyworld so I'd like to see the other Disney park in the US.

Bring your walking shoes--definitely have made note of this. Although I want to "look the part" in places like the Grove and Rodeo Drive so I'll be wearing heels, I have found some comfortable ones. (Yes, they do exist. LOL)

I definitely have a few missions picked out which I am most certainly going to see; I've used Trip Advisor and Catholic websites to help me identify those. I know they have one in Monterey which is just beautiful.

I'll keep Chinatown in mind. I did not realize SF was such a historical place for the Chinese. I'm big into history and love seeing places that are important to immigrants so I may have to spend some time there.

Thanks for the heads-up on the gas prices. I know many have forwarned me of this. Fortunately, I also have an app on my phone which shows me the cheapest local gas prices so I definitely plan to use this on the trip. Gotta save money where I can. :)

Haha! I thank you for your tips on dressing! I've been buying up clothes specifically for the trip since Janauary and all of my clothes are very "California-ish"--bright colors, dresses, fun stuff. Obviously I know what you wear depends upon what part you are in or where you go. I definitely won't wear any Cowboy hats. I don't even own one and hate those! I do have some Cowboy boots--just to the calf and very trendy but really I am not a Texan at heart so I think I'll probably fit in better in Cali than I do here in Texas, particularly fashion-wise. I've always been pretty fashion-savvy, even when I am wearing more relaxed clothing.

I have heard that without a permit it is illegal to wear anything but flats in Carmel and Monterey (because its roads and sidewalks are so crooked and un-even) so I wonder if there is any truth to this? I definitely have plenty of flats but I know my cousin likes to wear heels (she's only 5ft) so I might call the Carmel or Monterey authorities and check this out.

Thanks again for taking the time to write all of this out for me! You are such a sweetie! :)

Posts 11 - 20 of 21