Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Paris

Mar 16th 2013 new

Any of the over 50 crowd ever been to Paris?? I'm looking for the best area and hotel recommendations... and of course, I' love to hear your travel tales. wink

Merci!

Mar 16th 2013 new

My best friend and I spent our 40th Bday celebration in Paris...What a wonderful place!!

Stayed just off the Rue de St. Germain, which I would recommend as it is well situated and lots of cafes for breakfast etc.

I was fine with the small hotel we chose, but I would not really "recommend" it, though I myself would stay there again.

There is a great book series called "Cheap Sleeps in ___" and "Cheap Eats in ___" and there are ones for Paris, and I found both very useful and fun to use.

You have to see all the museums (especially the Lourvre, the Orsay, and the Orangerie for the IMpressionists).

Speaking of Monet, you must take an excursion to his home in Giverny (about an hour outside Paris), if it is in the summer when the flowers are in bloom (I was there in September and it was still beautiful). It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen, and if you love Monet as I do, it is a must.

Go to one of the flea markets if you like old stuff. They are terribly interesting.

Go to the one of hte daily food markets, the French love their food!

Of course, Notre Dame, San Chappelle, and the Sacre Coeur church and Montmarte area.

Didn't go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, but it looks fun.

Definitely go to the Luxembourg Gardens, one of the great parks of the world.

Take the bateau mouche boat rides on the Seine. It give a good perspective on Paris, particularly if you do it early on.

Make sure you check out the Ile de la Cite, the island in the middle of the Seine, it's like it's own little world.

And you MUST visit the Rue de Bac, and see where St. Catherine of Laboure saw the Virgin Mary and was given the design of the Miraculous Medal.

Of course, shopping. There is high and low end shopping, and it's all fun!

Bring your French translation book, say "bonjour" and "merci" as you enter and exit every store, etc. otherwise they think you are rude.

And seriously, wear your valuables under your clothes in a travel pouch, as I was robbed, still don't know how, and I can tell you all about being an "UnDocumented American In Paris" and all about the US Embassy there if you want! eyepopping

Bon chance on planning what is a must do trip for everyone! Jealous!!!!

Mar 16th 2013 new

I have to wonder...why are you asking the over 50s??

I spent a great deal of time there, many years ago. I slept in fleabags.

Mar 16th 2013 new
I have been twice. My recommendation is that, depending on your taste that you find a hotel that included a bathroom/shower. I stayed in a place 25 years hotel st. denis ago that had both so I one with and my friends did not, and they used my room. Saved costs. Many also include a light breakfast-- very sufficient. To Pat's list you cannot forget the champs de lyses for shopping. Monte march is awesome too along with Sacre cour. I would also add the hotel des invalides, which is where Napoleon is buried. Very interesting.
Mar 16th 2013 new

I would recommend Rick Steve's book on Paris. His recommendations worked well for me!

Also, as Pat stated, you must see the Chapel of the Miraculous Medal, and while in the area, be sure to go just down the street from there to the Shrine of St. Vincent de Paul where you can view his incorrupt body.

www.thecatholictravelguide.com

www.thecatholictravelguide.com

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I have to wonder...why are you asking the over 50s??I spent a great deal of time there, m...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

I have to wonder...why are you asking the over 50s??

I spent a great deal of time there, many years ago. I slept in fleabags.

--hide--

Asking the maturer bunch because I'm not interested in staying in a "fleabag." Its my experience that the older crowd is more concerned with hotels/apartments that offer creature comforts, good locations and are safe.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: My best friend and I spent our 40th Bday celebration in Paris...What a wonderful place!! Staye...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

My best friend and I spent our 40th Bday celebration in Paris...What a wonderful place!!

Stayed just off the Rue de St. Germain, which I would recommend as it is well situated and lots of cafes for breakfast etc.

I was fine with the small hotel we chose, but I would not really "recommend" it, though I myself would stay there again.

There is a great book series called "Cheap Sleeps in ___" and "Cheap Eats in ___" and there are ones for Paris, and I found both very useful and fun to use.

You have to see all the museums (especially the Lourvre, the Orsay, and the Orangerie for the IMpressionists).

Speaking of Monet, you must take an excursion to his home in Giverny (about an hour outside Paris), if it is in the summer when the flowers are in bloom (I was there in September and it was still beautiful). It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen, and if you love Monet as I do, it is a must.

Go to one of the flea markets if you like old stuff. They are terribly interesting.

Go to the one of hte daily food markets, the French love their food!

Of course, Notre Dame, San Chappelle, and the Sacre Coeur church and Montmarte area.

Didn't go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, but it looks fun.

Definitely go to the Luxembourg Gardens, one of the great parks of the world.

Take the bateau mouche boat rides on the Seine. It give a good perspective on Paris, particularly if you do it early on.

Make sure you check out the Ile de la Cite, the island in the middle of the Seine, it's like it's own little world.

And you MUST visit the Rue de Bac, and see where St. Catherine of Laboure saw the Virgin Mary and was given the design of the Miraculous Medal.

Of course, shopping. There is high and low end shopping, and it's all fun!

Bring your French translation book, say "bonjour" and "merci" as you enter and exit every store, etc. otherwise they think you are rude.

And seriously, wear your valuables under your clothes in a travel pouch, as I was robbed, still don't know how, and I can tell you all about being an "UnDocumented American In Paris" and all about the US Embassy there if you want!

Bon chance on planning what is a must do trip for everyone! Jealous!!!!

--hide--

Thanks, Pat!!
What about travel within Paris? Did you use the Metro, walk or taxis?

Mar 18th 2013 new

The metro is the best subway system in the world if you ask me. I recommend it, and of course Paris is a great walking city. I took some cabs, and that was fine too. I would take the metro myself and walk.

Mar 18th 2013 new

I know I am under 45 but I couldn't help myself in sharing a site for you to stay. I went to Paris for a couple days after a week long pilgrimage in Lourdes back in 2008. The group I was with stayed at Sacre Coeur, which is a beautiful basicalica that sits above Paris. Here is the link for the english translation for the Sacre Coeur. Pretend I was never here shhh

translate.google.com

Mar 18th 2013 new

Jessica, that is very interesting! I think I need to go back to Paris and stay there!

Posts 1 - 10 of 23