Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Mar 18th 2013 new
(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: Thanks, Pat!!What about travel within Paris? Did you use the Metro, walk or taxis?
(Quote) Cindy-57124 said:

Thanks, Pat!!
What about travel within Paris? Did you use the Metro, walk or taxis?

--hide--
I second Pat on the Metro, and walking of course.
Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: Asking the maturer bunch because I'm not interested in staying in a "fleabag.&quo...

Asking the maturer bunch because I'm not interested in staying in a "fleabag." Its my experience that the older crowd is more concerned with hotels/apartments that offer creature comforts, good locations and are safe.

--hide--

Hey, I'm mature. I hear they have a real good McDonalds over there. You could get some French fries. wink

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-54311 said: Hey, I'm mature. I hear they have a real good McDonalds over there. You could get so...
(Quote) Tom-54311 said:

Hey, I'm mature. I hear they have a real good McDonalds over there. You could get some French fries.

--hide--

tongue

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: Thanks, Pat!!What about travel within Paris? Did you use the Metro, walk or taxis?...

Thanks, Pat!!
What about travel within Paris? Did you use the Metro, walk or taxis?

--hide--

Be sure to grab an internet map of the metro if you can. I have first hand experience of waiting for a connection for over an hour because I didn't realize that in addition to the different lines, like the subways I am used to, there are also several levels in the Metro. Have fun!

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: Any of the over 50 crowd ever been to Paris?? I'm looking for the best area and hotel recommen...

Any of the over 50 crowd ever been to Paris?? I'm looking for the best area and hotel recommendations... and of course, I' love to hear your travel tales.

Merci!

--hide--
No never been: Let us know how you like it; BTW: send us a "Postcard too" laughing

Mar 23rd 2013 new
That sounds great!

Wouldn't it be great to run away?

I found the people in France to be very kind and accomodating. Just remember perspective...

Things (including many hotels) are maybe twice as old as our historical structures. Id go for safety and hope for creatue comfort. If you take in all the sights, you'll be so sleepy come bedtime that some of that might not matter.

I had a great time driving the countryside and stopping at the occassional castle or winery. Have a great time!
Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-117586 said: I had a great time driving the countryside and stopping at the occassional castle or winery. Have a great...
(Quote) Mary-117586 said: I had a great time driving the countryside and stopping at the occassional castle or winery. Have a great time!
--hide--

That sounds great - driving!! From Paris, I'm taking the (VERRRY FAST) train to Lourdes for an overnight stay, then back to Paris. I would love to drive, but will have to wait til next time - and hopefully not alone. wink

I rented a car in Ireland...OMG, the wrong side of the car and the wrong side of the street, in the rain!! LOL But it was wonderful to be able to take in the local scenery...

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Cindy-57124 said: Any of the over 50 crowd ever been to Paris?? I'm looking for the best area and hotel recommen...

Any of the over 50 crowd ever been to Paris?? I'm looking for the best area and hotel recommendations... and of course, I' love to hear your travel tales.

Merci!

--hide--
Oh, I thought you meant the Paris in Tennessee!!! embarassed laughing

Mar 23rd 2013 new

Merci!

--hide--

Paris is worth visiting, seeing and worth living there for a time, if anyone can arrange such a thing!!! Tartan Beret

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: My best friend and I spent our 40th Bday celebration in Paris...What a wonderful place!! Staye...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

My best friend and I spent our 40th Bday celebration in Paris...What a wonderful place!!

Stayed just off the Rue de St. Germain, which I would recommend as it is well situated and lots of cafes for breakfast etc.

I was fine with the small hotel we chose, but I would not really "recommend" it, though I myself would stay there again.

There is a great book series called "Cheap Sleeps in ___" and "Cheap Eats in ___" and there are ones for Paris, and I found both very useful and fun to use.

You have to see all the museums (especially the Lourvre, the Orsay, and the Orangerie for the IMpressionists).

Speaking of Monet, you must take an excursion to his home in Giverny (about an hour outside Paris), if it is in the summer when the flowers are in bloom (I was there in September and it was still beautiful). It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen, and if you love Monet as I do, it is a must.

Go to one of the flea markets if you like old stuff. They are terribly interesting.

Go to the one of hte daily food markets, the French love their food!

Of course, Notre Dame, San Chappelle, and the Sacre Coeur church and Montmarte area.

Didn't go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, but it looks fun.

Definitely go to the Luxembourg Gardens, one of the great parks of the world.

Take the bateau mouche boat rides on the Seine. It give a good perspective on Paris, particularly if you do it early on.

Make sure you check out the Ile de la Cite, the island in the middle of the Seine, it's like it's own little world.

And you MUST visit the Rue de Bac, and see where St. Catherine of Laboure saw the Virgin Mary and was given the design of the Miraculous Medal.

Of course, shopping. There is high and low end shopping, and it's all fun!

Bring your French translation book, say "bonjour" and "merci" as you enter and exit every store, etc. otherwise they think you are rude.

And seriously, wear your valuables under your clothes in a travel pouch, as I was robbed, still don't know how, and I can tell you all about being an "UnDocumented American In Paris" and all about the US Embassy there if you want!

Bon chance on planning what is a must do trip for everyone! Jealous!!!!

--hide--

I have been to most of these places and woudl return to do the rest in a heartbeat! heartbeat

Posts 11 - 20 of 23