Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Mar 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Shara-929649 said: I agree it is IMHO cyber stalking. That sort of invasion of someone's privacy is not warran...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

I agree it is IMHO cyber stalking. That sort of invasion of someone's privacy is not warranted. I think in the internet age some people think that they have the right too much of people's information. By all means protect yourself and remain cautious but treat each other with respect as well.

--hide--

Thanks, Shara. Just curious, how did you quote me without my name showing up in the quote?
Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-106 said: I would definitely google a guy before I met him. Catholicmatch is so isolated from the outside world that i...
(Quote) Mary-106 said: I would definitely google a guy before I met him. Catholicmatch is so isolated from the outside world that it would be important to a see a person's Internet footprints. Catholicmatch(CM) is different from Facebook where you can see a history of posts that can give you night into how a person spends his time or what he believes. I think it would cool if CM was more like Facebook where you update your status with silly or profound items..went to the game, babysat my nieces, lost my keys. Just a thought. And don't forget to google yourself. It's amazing how much is out there, at least for me:).
--hide--

Hi Mary,

I have not done that for anyone on CM, but I also have another subscription which I wish I didn't have but I was being economically minded when I signed up and it doesn't end until June and since there is no refund I am sort of stuck. But, from that site I have encountered at last count fifteen scammers. My son who is a Marine, helped me with the first one, clever fellow my kiddo, he got the guy to email him, then took the IP address to their Information officer, who was able to determine the gentleman was not in the service as he suggested and that his IP address was coming from South Africa and not the middle east. Then they turned it over to their investigative team to handle. Since then I have learned how to do that myself. IP Address lookup online. When you get their email (has to be an email from their email server to yours) click on the link that gives you more information and look for email origin. In there you will see the detail information including the IP address, copy and paste that number into the IP Address lookup and it will give you where the IP address originates, if that address does not match up with other information you've been told RUN :-).

I have also googled specific names coupled with scams, romance scams etc and generally these guys pop up, they use the same name or variations of the same name over and over and they use the same emails over and over -- you'll notice they don't actually answer your email questions or even actually know anything about you, but often give these long love filled emails. Often the grammar does not match up with the level of education one must have. If they give you a phone number check the area code of the number and if it doesn't match up run as well. Some of these guys can carry on the ruse for months before they ask for money, etc. Or they have managed to gather enough pertinent information about you to infiltrate your life on their own. It is a good thing that I am not so lonely I am desperate for someone to compliment and flatter me and love me. They often target people they think are vulnerable to that sort of thing.

Many scams come out of South Africa, some also have connections with London, and there are those in the US that will say they are from say NY, their IP address is from California and then their phone number is from Wisconsin. . .trust your gut, if something doesn't really add up check it out, they generally don't add up. Some will try to berate you into feeling bad for doubting them or calling them on the inconsistencies -- don't fall for that -- they are at fault. Some will try to play on your sympathies but I love you so much how could you do this to me??? Ignore it, many will just sort of silently slip away. They can be reported to the State Department I think.

I don't mind if anyone wants to google me or variations of my name. And, I might or might not google someone I was talking to that I did not have a bad feeling about lol.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: God gives brains out regardless of sex.
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

God gives brains out regardless of sex.

--hide--

He's given more physical strength to the man. It's no secret that a woman is in far more danger from an encounter with an unfamiliar member of the opposite sex than a man is.

Would you be suggesting that women who are the victims of sexual assault lack brains (and not strength)?

Mar 17th 2013 new

Inflammatory comments, just because, would be a red flag. scratchchin

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: I agree it is IMHO cyber stalking. That sort of invasion of someone's privacy is not...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

I agree it is IMHO cyber stalking. That sort of invasion of someone's privacy is not warranted. I think in the internet age some people think that they have the right too much of people's information. By all means protect yourself and remain cautious but treat each other with respect as well.

--hide--

I agree. This is cyber stalking. I do like checking the IP address of their email to ascertain where the email is really coming from. I looked myself up on Spokeo once and that was somewhat accurate. For giggles once I looked up my brother-in-law and it had him with an advanced college degree that he really didn't have. My sister found that humorous.

Mar 17th 2013 new
One more thought-- the vaule of the results depends on the name of the person you are investigating and, to a lesser extent, where he lives. If the gentleman's name is John Smith, an investigation will be next to worthless even if you already have lots more information about him. If his name is Aloysius Vesuvio Rodriguez, for example, you can be pretty sure that the information you find will be pertinent to the person about whom you are inquiring.
Mar 17th 2013 new

My comment was made in response to the mention of being able to sense a weirdo or predator. That takes some brains. The physical question is irrelevant.

(Quote) William-607613 said Would you be suggesting that women who are the victims of sexual assault lack brains (and not strengt...
(Quote) William-607613 said Would you be suggesting that women who are the victims of sexual assault lack brains (and not strength)?
--hide--

At the risk of taking a lot of heat from the Pink Sistahs here, yes. I hedge my bets, and any risks I take are calculated. I've never had any trouble.

If you THINK about where you're going, who will be there, how you will get home, etc.., you're far less likely to have trouble than if you blithely go bouncing with a guy you just met into a dive in a bad part of town.

Most assaults are perpetrated by acquaintances the victims thought were "okay".

Mar 17th 2013 new

Google is a girl's best friend.

A man's best friend, too...except a surprising number of men seem unaware of how vulnerable they are due to the amount of information they give out early in the acquaintance.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Being "out there" here on CM, is another way to show to other Catholics that you are fair...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Being "out there" here on CM, is another way to show to other Catholics that you are fairly "safe."
--hide--
This is very true!

Forum posters are often good friends with other forum posters, and many have met in person. It helps a lot when you see someone interesting and a fellow CMer can tell you, "Oh, yeah, she's a lovely person, just watch out for her dog!" *

* That one's for you, Donna! wink

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: I still submit that I think that when a woman and a man meet here, that they exchange parish i...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said:
I still submit that I think that when a woman and a man meet here, that they exchange parish information, .
--hide--

Your lifestyle is obviously very different from mine. That information would be totally useless in my case, since I don't attend Mass in my parish.

Posts 31 - 40 of 84