Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said:I agree it is IMHO cyber stalking. That sort of invasion of someone's privacy is not warranted.
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:I agree it is IMHO cyber stalking. That sort of invasion of someone's privacy is not warranted.
--hide--

Cyber stalking? I don't think so. He doesn't know I'm doing it, and I am not making any contact with him. Research? Mmmm, yeah.

If I google someone, I don't think I'm invading his privacy. The ones who invade his privacy are the ones who post personal information on the web: the individuals themselves, their friends, their employers, etc..

Mar 17th 2013 new

Very true -- which is why a guy with a name like that is crazy to be giving it out to all and sundry.

Mar 17th 2013 new

Good info.

I was contacted by a guy on another site, and something about him just didn't ring true. In the second email he gave me his full name and his child's name, and told me his wife's name -- she had died a year previously. I googled and could not find an online obituary for her anywhere (and nowadays nearly every death has one). A message or two later it was clear he was a phony.

Mar 17th 2013 new

To answer the original question: Yes, absolutely. It's interesting to see what Dr. Google turns up. However, that's where I draw the line on creepy information hunting.

Mar 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Shara-929649 said: I agree it is IMHO cyber stalking. That sort of invasion of someone's privacy is not warranted. I t...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

I agree it is IMHO cyber stalking. That sort of invasion of someone's privacy is not warranted. I think in the internet age some people think that they have the right too much of people's information. By all means protect yourself and remain cautious but treat each other with respect as well.

--hide--
It's not private if you can find it on the Internet. How would you feel if you neglected your motherly duties and got involved with a man who had a history of violence, when you could have found out ahead of time about his past? This has happened to me. A while back, I had been corresponding with a man in whom I had heretofore been interested. Upon looking him up, I found he had been arrested more than once for violence against his wife--in front of their children--and had violated the subsequent restraining order. Because I looked into it, and, as you might say, invaded his privacy, I was able to avoid exposing myself and my children to a person with a history of violence. As my children's only surviving parent, my need to protect my children trumps anyone's perceived "right" to Internet privacy. Kate
Mar 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Peter-933860 said: What do you mean? How am I being having any benefits over a woman in this regard?
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

What do you mean? How am I being having any benefits over a woman in this regard?

--hide--
Men are generally bigger, stronger, and faster than women. Women are less prone to aggression than men.~~Kate
Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Kathryn-328433 said: It's not private if you can find it on the Internet. How would you feel if you neglected your moth...
(Quote) Kathryn-328433 said: It's not private if you can find it on the Internet. How would you feel if you neglected your motherly duties and got involved with a man who had a history of violence, when you could have found out ahead of time about his past? This has happened to me. A while back, I had been corresponding with a man in whom I had heretofore been interested. Upon looking him up, I found he had been arrested more than once for violence against his wife--in front of their children--and had violated the subsequent restraining order. Because I looked into it, and, as you might say, invaded his privacy, I was able to avoid exposing myself and my children to a person with a history of violence. As my children's only surviving parent, my need to protect my children trumps anyone's perceived "right" to Internet privacy. Kate
--hide--

You are right, Kate. I never thought of it from that perspective. Your children have a wise mother biggrin

Mar 17th 2013 new

I think this is a great point. I would like to suggest in addition to Googling someone, to also check state and county records. There are ways for people to modify their personal records, but the government records are documented by law. Do not forget to check out the records held within the county being currently resided in, but neighboring counties too.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Kathryn-328433 said: Men are generally bigger, stronger, and faster than women. Women are less prone to aggression than men...
(Quote) Kathryn-328433 said: Men are generally bigger, stronger, and faster than women. Women are less prone to aggression than men.~~Kate
--hide--

Kathryn,

I think we can state the obvious ad nauseum but from taking a quick look at the responses to this subject, I think people either miss the subject completely or are hyper-sensitive to it.

I think this thread could be summed up pretty easily:

If two people are meeting for the first time it is in the interest of each person to uncover any negative information about the other person (to the extent that it is legally possible) because either person might be out to swindle or harm the other. Women have to be especially careful in the event of the latter possibility because of the normal differences in strength between a man and a woman; the woman is usually at a disadvantage if she has to physically protect herself or her children.

I'm done here; good night.

Mar 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: No I'm not, but as I recall that wasn't part of the OP's question. By the way, would ...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

No I'm not, but as I recall that wasn't part of the OP's question. By the way, would a woman be less likely to sniff out a axe murderer?

--hide--

Let's hope for your sake that you are an excellent judge of character ;)

Posts 41 - 50 of 84