Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

03/17/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Cyber stalking? I don't think so. He doesn't know I'm doing it, and I am not maki...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Cyber stalking? I don't think so. He doesn't know I'm doing it, and I am not making any contact with him. Research? Mmmm, yeah.

If I google someone, I don't think I'm invading his privacy. The ones who invade his privacy are the ones who post personal information on the web: the individuals themselves, their friends, their employers, etc..

--hide--

I think the creepy, stalkery part was "friending" or conversing with family or friends of a person. Anything that is available on the public internet, I think is fair game.

03/17/2013 new
Mary I agree everyone googles people its only a wise thing to do.
03/17/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said:Google is a girl's best friend.A man's best friend, too...except a surprising number of men seem ...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:Google is a girl's best friend.A man's best friend, too...except a surprising number of men seem unaware of how vulnerable they are due to the amount of information they give out early in the acquaintance.
--hide--

So do I need to ask for a last name before we meet? I don't think I usually give mine out before meeting her....

03/17/2013 new

(Quote) John-842063 said:So do I need to ask for a last name before we meet? I don't think I usually give mine out before meeti...
(Quote) John-842063 said:So do I need to ask for a last name before we meet? I don't think I usually give mine out before meeting her....
--hide--

I never give my last name before meeting.

03/17/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said:I never give my last name before meetin...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:I never give my last name before meeting.
--hide--

Well I do if asked, but I don't ask so it is rare

03/17/2013 new

(Quote) John-842063 said: So do I need to ask for a last name before we meet? I don't think I usually give mine...
(Quote) John-842063 said:

So do I need to ask for a last name before we meet? I don't think I usually give mine out before meeting her....

--hide--

Forget the google search, I don't about last names and such. On one hand, I think it would be weird to meet someone in person without know his/her name. If I met someone in a bar or a party, I would ask his full name so why not if I meet him online?

I just started this thread as a lark because I think you can find some interesting and funny things out on the internet and now I am having to think to hard ;)

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) Kathryn-328433 said: Men are generally bigger, stronger, and faster than women. Women are less prone to aggression than men...
(Quote) Kathryn-328433 said: Men are generally bigger, stronger, and faster than women. Women are less prone to aggression than men.~~Kate
--hide--
I doubt that the ability to sniff out bad stuff lies in those characteristics.

03/18/2013 new

(Quote) Margo-404841 said: It bothers me how much information abt me is available on the Internet, including the amount of p...
(Quote) Margo-404841 said:

It bothers me how much information abt me is available on the Internet, including the amount of private information abt myself I provide here on CM. My kids are much more facile abt this than me.

--hide--

It's probably a benefit of being raised as part of the "internet generation", we've had it beat in our heads since we were little to protect ourselves on the internet. I found a pretty interesting book at the bookstore just before I left for a semester abroad this year, didn't buy it but I wish I did. It was about how to make yourself virtually invisible, mostly through your internet footprint.

I did just do a search on some of my friends to see if I was just abnormally paranoid, there's a startling amount on my best friend Dan, and most of it looks to link to a way to find him (mostly ancestry.com and white pages), Gina's linked to her facebook, and that's it actually, if you actually knew here, there was a Gina who's a mental health practitioner in the same state as Gina, but if you knew her in any way more than just her name, you'd know to discredit that. So yeah, probably an internet genration thing. Talk to your kids, see if they can help you lessen your footprint any!

03/18/2013 new
We have to strike a balance between sensible and paranoid. I've seen plenty of both in the replies posted in this thread.
03/18/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-106 said: Let's hope for your sake that you are an excellent judge of character ;)
(Quote) Mary-106 said:

Let's hope for your sake that you are an excellent judge of character ;)

--hide--
I make mistakes now and then but as I survived before Google, Internet and mobile phones I trust my own capabilities. If I'm wrong my next date might at the end of the evening be wearing my head as a hat. But the statistics speaks against that so I'll take my chances.

Posts 51 - 60 of 84