Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 31st 2013 new
This post has been flagged as inappropriate for this discussion or forum.
Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: Don't forget about the Reagan and GW Bush tax cuts.
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

Don't forget about the Reagan and GW Bush tax cuts.

--hide--

Hi Sean et alia,

That's true, but at least Reagan had the good sense to gradually raise taxes after he cut them. And then, in 1986, with the help of the Democrats, he closed a number of loopholes in the tax code, and taxes went up again.

James ☺

Mar 31st 2013 new
This post has been flagged as inappropriate for this discussion or forum.
Mar 31st 2013 new

Again you've demostrated you don't know anything about economics. The rust belt is rusting because of Liberalism and Unionism. They really only prospered a very short time for two periods.

First period is before government broke up the so called Trusts. Actually, steel and fuel were cheaper before government got involved. When government instituted income taxes after WW1 it caused the Great Depression.

The second period was from roughly 1939 to 1970. We had to build the infrastructure to fight and win WW2. After the war we rebuilt the rest of the world. By 1970 that had been accomplished. Unions demanded higher wages and produced poorer work.

Before you were even born
I was working at 2 different automobile lots and I saw first hand the garbage that was being turned out. We would have all sorts of problems and find garbage and other junk stuffed in rocker wells and doors. Windows leaked and we had to remove and replace them. Etc. Etc. Etc.

When you find poverty and problems in the world, at the crux of it will be government.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.
George Washington

The tendency of government is increase its responsibility, and thereby its control over the people. . . The intent is that every man be armed. Everyone who can afford one may own a gun.
Patrick Henry

Government is not the solution. Government IS the problem.
Ronald Reagan

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Bernie-350671 said: Again you've demostrated you don't know anything about economics. The rust belt is rusti...
(Quote) Bernie-350671 said:

Again you've demostrated you don't know anything about economics. The rust belt is rusting because of Liberalism and Unionism. They really only prospered a very short time for two periods.

First period is before government broke up the so called Trusts. Actually, steel and fuel were cheaper before government got involved. When government instituted income taxes after WW1 it caused the Great Depression.

The second period was from roughly 1939 to 1970. We had to build the infrastructure to fight and win WW2. After the war we rebuilt the rest of the world. By 1970 that had been accomplished. Unions demanded higher wages and produced poorer work.

I was working at 2 different automobile lots and I saw first hand the garbage that was being turned out. We would have all sorts of problems and find garbage and other junk stuffed in rocker wells and doors. Windows leaked and we had to remove and replace them. Etc. Etc. Etc.

When you find poverty and problems in the world, at the crux of it will be government.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.
George Washington

The tendency of government is increase its responsibility, and thereby its control over the people. . . The intent is that every man be armed. Everyone who can afford one may own a gun.
Patrick Henry

Ronald Reagan

--hide--

The first income taxes were imposed in 1862. And off an on until the current law, ameneded many times since, was started in 1913 before WWI.

Mar 31st 2013 new

Catholic union members built huge parishes in Midwest and Northeastern cities. The loss of Catholic enclaves in these cities greatly weakened the power of the Church in the US. No idea why you oppose unionism in and of itself considering how much of the Catholic Church in the US was built by Catholic union members. The decline of the American manufacturing base, unions and American cities parallels the decline of the Catholic Church and the rise of the sexual revolution. Ever heard of what GM did to Poletown in Detroit?

Unions certainly can be criticized for not doing enough to oppose globalization and for having become part of the liberal establishment. I don't belong to a union and can understand people's grudges against them. Even so, they play an important role in an industrial economy. It's amazing how much "conservative" Catholics slam them. I guess they don't know their own history. Maybe you should read Rerum Novarum before you blindly condemn unions??

Maybe, just maybe, protecting our own industries and paying decent wages are pillars of a sustainable economy...ever consider that?

(Quote) Bernie-350671 said: Again you've demostrated you don't know anything about economics. The rust belt is rusti...

George Washington

Patrick Henry

Ronald Reagan

--hide--

Apr 1st 2013 new

Initially, but were ramped up in the 20's. Several Millionaires ceased to be wealthy as a result.

Apr 1st 2013 new

Paying descent wages doesn't mean paying $30 + an hour for what I can't afford to purchase. Protectionism doesn't work. It makes me pay more for something I don't want to purchase in the first place.

Free trade is I have something to sell, at the price and quality you want, at the place and time you want it. Protectionism is government stepping in because you didn't purchase it from unions who elected the government official doing the interfering.

Unions had a place and may still do, but the union officials are corrupt and unions are nothing more that money laundering for Liberal Democrats. Unions give them money and when they get elected they tax the rest of us and send the money to the union bosses. Obama has done just that. When he stole GM, and make to defense of it, he STOLE it, and violated the laws of the US, all he did was give the companies to the unions. We will NEVER get our money back from GM. Their stock would have to double then double again just to break even.

I had a friend and Obama just took his bonds. Obama didn't purchase them. He just took them and said too bad. My friend lost $1 Million of his retirement. Don't even bother to defend unions as they are as corrupt and for the most part in bed with organized crime. I have seen and experienced it. Once again, I have lived twice as long as you and seen twice as much.

Go to the Cathedral of the Plains. That was built by farmers.

Catholicism died after Vatican 2 and when the bishops failed to stand up against the Supreme Court on abortion. I have a hard time telling someone is a Catholic if they are from the NE or California. Their catholicism isn't what I was taught.

Apr 1st 2013 new

I don't think you understand what free-trade and protectionism are.

No disagreement that Obama and many if not most union leaders aren't any good. Union leadership too often doesn't represent workers but rather the interests of union leaders and corporations. Wall Street has taken over both parties. So you have the choice of death by either the left or the right, but both lead to the same place.

The leadership of the Church in the US isn't much different. Dearden didn't do anything to help his own parishioners in Poletown...yet somehow he was known as a leader in social justice. His co-ruler in Detroit, Tommy Gumbleton, shut down dozens of Catholic schools but now has reinvented himself as a champion of the poor and abuse victims. The American hierarchy is useless for the most part. I read an article citing comments by leading American prelates on gay marriage. Their comments were as weak as usual. No wonder so few respect the Catholic Church as its own leaders tend to make a mockery of it.

(Quote) Bernie-350671 said: Paying descent wages doesn't mean paying $30 + an hour for what I can't afford to purcha...

Paying descent wages doesn't mean paying $30 + an hour for what I can't afford to purchase. Protectionism doesn't work. It makes me pay more for something I don't want to purchase in the first place.

Free trade is I have something to sell, at the price and quality you want, at the place and time you want it. Protectionism is government stepping in because you didn't purchase it from unions who elected the government official doing the interfering.

Unions had a place and may still do, but the union officials are corrupt and unions are nothing more that money laundering for Liberal Democrats. Unions give them money and when they get elected they tax the rest of us and send the money to the union bosses. Obama has done just that. When he stole GM, and make to defense of it, he STOLE it, and violated the laws of the US, all he did was give the companies to the unions. We will NEVER get our money back from GM. Their stock would have to double then double again just to break even.

I had a friend and Obama just took his bonds. Obama didn't purchase them. He just took them and said too bad. My friend lost $1 Million of his retirement. Don't even bother to defend unions as they are as corrupt and for the most part in bed with organized crime. I have seen and experienced it. Once again, I have lived twice as long as you and seen twice as much.

Go to the Cathedral of the Plains. That was built by farmers.

Catholicism died after Vatican 2 and when the bishops failed to stand up against the Supreme Court on abortion. I have a hard time telling someone is a Catholic if they are from the NE or California. Their catholicism isn't what I was taught.

--hide--

Apr 1st 2013 new

You are correct, I don't know the exact details of a specific person in the NE. Too many people are Liberals first, and everything else second. Take Jews. In Isreal they are conservative, but in the US they are Liberals first and Jewish second.

Posts 81 - 90 of 91