Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Mar 18th 2013 new

I will ignore the "...I'm a thinker. Most women I meet probably aren't." comment, as I don't think that you meant it the way that it was written.

In addition to all of the good suggestions above (for topics of conversation), I suggest that you regularly read a good newspaper. If you stay well-read on a large variety of topics and current events, you are bound to find something that will be of interest to your date if you get to a lull in the conversation.

Ed

Mar 18th 2013 new

Being new to this, I'm almost reluctant to "jump in," but......I struggle with making conversations myself. This only seems to be an issue with my personal life - work setting is so much easier. I'm sure that you were not intending to generalize women as non-thinkers. I'm reading the threads to gain insight and advice - hope it works for us both!

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jennifer-951210 said: Being new to this, I'm almost reluctant to "jump in," but......I struggle with m...
(Quote) Jennifer-951210 said:

Being new to this, I'm almost reluctant to "jump in," but......I struggle with making conversations myself. This only seems to be an issue with my personal life - work setting is so much easier. I'm sure that you were not intending to generalize women as non-thinkers. I'm reading the threads to gain insight and advice - hope it works for us both!

--hide--
Oh "Jump In" The water is fine!! laughing laughing (plenty room in the pool) laughing Mike Ps Welcome aborad Jen!!

Mar 18th 2013 new

If you have ever watched or listened to interviews on TV or radio...

The best and most insightful interviews are those where the interviewer asks a question, listens attentively to the answer, and then asks follow-up questions based on the particular response. Be ready to throw out your "list of questions" if the conversation leads in an entirely different direction. A perfectly great interview/date can be ruined by lack of listening and simply following a "list of questions".

Ed

Mar 18th 2013 new

Three topics that will always guarentee an interesting conversation:

1. Zombie apocalypse.

2. Nuclear Holocaust.

3. The weather.

And I am seriously not kidding about the first 2, you can discuss the application of Catholic theology to the first two.

I'd love for a man to discuss zombie apocalypse survival statergies with me.

I'm prepared. I want to know who else is.

Mar 18th 2013 new

laughing I think that's a generational preference.
I think for the 50+ group the questions are: Stones or Beatles? Star Wars or Star Trek? Ginger or Mary Ann?

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Every single girl was a blonde with lots of heavy eyeliner.
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Every single girl was a blonde with lots of heavy eyeliner.

--hide--

Ha! That must be what I was doing wrong. I put up a picture without makeup people can see what I usually look like instead of when I might get dressed up and wear makeup. Perhaps I should change my picture for more responses :)

Seriously, David and many others here have made some great points. If I am conversing with a man I will try to draw him out conversationally to find out about him and topics of mutual interest. Perhaps he is passionate about something that is new to me but interesting. I would not know if I did not ask. Sometimes people take a while to open up and you may have to throw out a few conversational gambits to get them talking.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: I can be the quiet type a lot of the time, and on occasion I struggle for things to talk about when I mee...
(Quote) John-220051 said: I can be the quiet type a lot of the time, and on occasion I struggle for things to talk about when I meet women. Any suggestions for becoming a better conversationalist?

Part of my problem is that I'm a thinker. Most women I meet probably aren't. What are some ideas for helping me to broaden my conversation?
--hide--

Tried and true list of things to talk about. Never fails.

First make it clear you are not interested in anything she has to say.

Then use this list in exact order:

Beer

Football

Stockcar racing

Junk food

Snowmobiling

Fishing

If she hasn't said a word, she is obviously a boxing fan.

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelle-924354 said: Hi Marge! A really good question to ask people (if it hasn't already been overdone) ...
(Quote) Chelle-924354 said:

Hi Marge! A really good question to ask people (if it hasn't already been overdone) is what would they do if they won the lottery? It's fun to listen to others' replies; plus, it can be a real window into their character! Chelle

--hide--
Oh, Chelle -- What would you do if you won the lottery???? wink hug hug hug

Mar 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-54311 said: Tried and true list of things to talk about. Never fails.First make it clear you...
(Quote) Tom-54311 said:

Tried and true list of things to talk about. Never fails.

First make it clear you are not interested in anything she has to say.

Then use this list in exact order:

Beer

Football

Stockcar racing

Junk food

Snowmobiling

Fishing

If she hasn't said a word, she is obviously a boxing fan.

--hide--
Now what woman could resist that kind of a conversation???? I think you're on to something, Tom -- a long, single life, to be exact. laughing

Posts 21 - 30 of 112