Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

03/21/2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: This is true, moderators are not apologists on the site - so their posts do not carry any ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

This is true, moderators are not apologists on the site - so their posts do not carry any more "weight" as far as Church teaching goes than the posts of any other member. They post their opinion just like all of us.

--hide--

Thank you..You get it! thumbsup

03/21/2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Since you are a moderator on a Catholic website, it would seem appropriate for you to quit throw...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

Since you are a moderator on a Catholic website, it would seem appropriate for you to quit throwing your words out without knowing whether what you are saying is correct according to Catholic beliefs or not. And I'm not following you around -- but do feel that on here, if a moderator is posting incorrect doctrine, it should be corrected.

--hide--

A little historical background may help here.

I was the first moderator. Initially, the role was limited to answering questions in Community Help and trying to keep the postings there from straying too far from the limited scope of that particular forum. The role then extended a bit to include what was then the War Room (St. Thomas More), not Culture and Current Events, then the rest of the forums (except for the opposite sex forum!). Donna was added about the time the scope was expanding to cover the forumverse.

The official function of the moderators is to enforce the forum and site rules: no more, no less. The moderators were chosen from active forum posters because they have a feel for the dynamics and, perhaps even more important, because at least one of us is often here during those hours when the CM staff are not working. Brian has made it clear in a number of different posts that the moderators are primarily regular members and their postings, unless identified otherwise, should be taken as such.

If anyone has a question as to whether a post is made as a moderator or as a regular member, the best course of action is to ask that person directly by private message. If you aren't able to do so (e.g., because of being blocked due to age difference), feel free to ask one of the other moderators to relay a message for you.

If there are any concerns about what appears to be an official moderation action, you may contact the moderator in question if you wish, or you may file a Help ticket. It is not appropriate to question moderation or disciplinary actions in the forums (c.f. forum rule # 7:

Discussion concerning the disciplinary action or decisions by CatholicMatch administration is forbidden. The help ticket system is designed for this. CatholicMatch does not engage public debate on issues of discipline, as our privacy policy often precludes us from revealing pertinent information.)

I hope this helps clear up some confusion about the role of the moderators.

03/21/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: A little historical background may help here. I was the first moderator. Initially...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

A little historical background may help here.

I was the first moderator. Initially, the role was limited to answering questions in Community Help and trying to keep the postings there from straying too far from the limited scope of that particular forum. The role then extended a bit to include what was then the War Room (St. Thomas More), not Culture and Current Events, then the rest of the forums (except for the opposite sex forum!). Donna was added about the time the scope was expanding to cover the forumverse.

The official function of the moderators is to enforce the forum and site rules: no more, no less. The moderators were chosen from active forum posters because they have a feel for the dynamics and, perhaps even more important, because at least one of us is often here during those hours when the CM staff are not working. Brian has made it clear in a number of different posts that the moderators are primarily regular members and their postings, unless identified otherwise, should be taken as such.

If anyone has a question as to whether a post is made as a moderator or as a regular member, the best course of action is to ask that person directly by private message. If you aren't able to do so (e.g., because of being blocked due to age difference), feel free to ask one of the other moderators to relay a message for you.

If there are any concerns about what appears to be an official moderation action, you may contact the moderator in question if you wish, or you may file a Help ticket. It is not appropriate to question moderation or disciplinary actions in the forums (c.f. forum rule # 7:

Discussion concerning the disciplinary action or decisions by CatholicMatch administration is forbidden. The help ticket system is designed for this. CatholicMatch does not engage public debate on issues of discipline, as our privacy policy often precludes us from revealing pertinent information.)

I hope this helps clear up some confusion about the role of the moderators.

--hide--
Even though I understand the role isn't church teaching, it still bothers me a bit that someone who isn't a 7/7 would be a moderator on a Catholic web site.....but hey, that is just my opinion....again, I didn't say anything prior to this forum thread about it for that reason....their job is doing other things. I do fear that someone who doesn't understand the role of moderator might, however, think they are authorized to speak in matters of the faith.

03/21/2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: Yay, finally the Catholic version of the show! I haven't seen the Bachelor the ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

Yay, finally the Catholic version of the show!

I haven't seen the Bachelor the last few seasons, but I've seen the show in the past many times. It's just a TV show, not a life instructional video. The Bachelor/ette is probably the worst possible way to meet someone if you want the relationship to work out - even for the secular folk. But it's fun to watch anyway. I like the Sister Wives too - does that mean I embrace polygamy? It's just for entertainment.

--hide--

shhh Don't tell anybody, but I'm fascinated by Sister Wives too.. laughing How do they do it? I could never do it, because I don't want to 'share' my man.. laughing

03/21/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:If anyone has a question as to whether a post is made as a moderator or as a regular member, the best cour...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:If anyone has a question as to whether a post is made as a moderator or as a regular member, the best course of action is to ask that person directly by private message. If you aren't able to do so (e.g., because of being blocked due to age difference), feel free to ask one of the other moderators to relay a message for you.
--hide--
There is a block on messaging when there is a certain age difference? When did that start,and whats the gap?? scratchchin

03/21/2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Even though I understand the role isn't church teaching, it still bothers me a bit that some...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Even though I understand the role isn't church teaching, it still bothers me a bit that someone who isn't a 7/7 would be a moderator on a Catholic web site.....but hey, that is just my opinion....again, I didn't say anything prior to this forum thread about it for that reason....their job is doing other things. I do fear that someone who doesn't understand the role of moderator might, however, think they are authorized to speak in matters of the faith.

--hide--

On matters of faith and morals what matters is the source of authority, not who relays the message. Is a quote from the Catechism any less valid because the person who provided it is 0/7? On the other hand, opinions not backed up by some source of authority are just that -- opinions.

03/21/2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: There is a block on messaging when there is a certain age difference? When did that start,and wha...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

There is a block on messaging when there is a certain age difference? When did that start,and whats the gap??

--hide--

Between members of different sexes. It has been in place for several years.

03/21/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Even though I understand the role isn't chu...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Quote:
Cheryl-409772 said:

On matters of faith and morals what matters is the source of authority, not who relays the message. Is a quote from the Catechism any less valid because the person who provided it is 0/7? On the other hand, opinions not backed up by some source of authority are just that -- opinions.

--hide--
Well, that is the problem... a person who isn't a 7/7 wouldn't relay that church teaching correctly or at all most likely and when people see the word moderator but don't understand the role, they might think they are an authority on it. I don't know...it just doesn't sit well with me on a Catholic site. I'd rather have someone who has 7/7 doing the job and I think that would say more for the site.

03/21/2013 new

If this thread turns into a which hunt on moderators, I will shut it down.

For your reading pleasure (we have been meaning to publish this for sometime and did not get around to it.) here is an explanation of the role of moderators in the forums. www.catholicmatch.com

If you have a question or concern please submit a help ticket.

03/21/2013 new

Thank you for speaking up. Of what social value are programs, such as these, which portray a constricted perspective of life--basically some trumped up fantasy, playing on peoples' deepest human fears of being poor and alone. is it a psychological strategy to live a vicarious life and pull through? Try thinking of these programs in terms of Maslow's heirarchy and they start to come to light. Of course, bottom line for producers is $$$. These kinds of programs meerly generate greater fear and draw people further and further from the purposes set out for us in the Gospel. The fantasy or "carrot" is held out as desireable and realistic. Just a thought. :)

Posts 71 - 80 of 109