Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

03/21/2013 new
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: He doesn't speak like this outside of Mass.He is here to 'bring our parish back together, to encou...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

He doesn't speak like this outside of Mass.
He is here to 'bring our parish back together, to encourage forgiveness for past hurts in our church, to firmly bring us back into line' (to stop council members and lay groups from thinking they should be in charge) -- I don't think I can go through them. And I'm not sure how it would go if I approach him -- he is on the lookout for 'trouble-makers' as it is and might lable me as one if I say a thing!

--hide--

Pray for him daily. I am not a good public speaker and when I get nervous I start talking fast. I usually like the Saint Michael prayer, the Holy Spirit prayer and the rosary. Some things upset me this week so I said my rosary right before bed and it helped me relax and rest. So I encourage you to find a scriptural rosary and focus on that.
03/21/2013 new

(Quote) Brett-848238 said: Just be thankful that you actually have a priest. Some parishes in western Oklahoma have circuit ...
(Quote) Brett-848238 said:

Just be thankful that you actually have a priest. Some parishes in western Oklahoma have circuit rider priests that only say mass once on Sunday.

--hide--

Yes, we are very blessed to have 2 Masses daily and 7 on Saturday evening/Sundays -- but just like praying the rosary or Lauds or Vespers in a group, I really dislike the 'rush-rush-rush' some people impose on others by seemingly being more about 'getting it done' instead of praying it thoughtfully, reverently, deeply. I guess I'm spoiled from some very great priests.

03/21/2013 new
Indeed. Rushing through any liturgy drives me nuts. There is one young man where I go to Mass that used to fly through the Rosary. I had to take him aside and point out all the graces we were losing trying to keep up with him. I will light a candle for your intentions Sunday.
03/21/2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: To me it is always the favored priests that get reassigned but I have come to the conclusion af...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

To me it is always the favored priests that get reassigned but I have come to the conclusion after my grandparents parish lost Father Jazdzewski (who had been with Sacred Heart for more than 10 years) that in a way it is sad to see the beloved priests go but it is a nice feeling that another parish will get to experience the charity and kindness of this priest. So somewhere out there in the Diocese of La Crosse Father Jazdzewski is serving other fathers. He is still missed.

I know the feeling of hearing a priest speed through the prayers because I have sat through a church service where it seemed like the priest was in a hurry, one could barely even have enough time to reverently take in the prayers. I will remember to say a prayer for your new priest.

--hide--

embarassed I just realized my earlier post may be misinterpreted. Father Jazdzewski is still alive, he is serving in three parishes in Western Wisconsin somewhere. He was reassingned back in 2010 or 2011. He was a good man with a good heart. embarassed

A second the advice of the others, pray for your new pastor because the priests really need our prayers more than ever now. Praying

03/21/2013 new

I completely empathize with your situation. My parish has recently lost a very holy priest to retirement due to illness to a priest who is entirely self-focused and not much more than an administrator/comedian. I was at Mass last week and, before his sermon, I prayed for patience and compassion toward this new priest, only to have him use the phrase, "Oh, my God!" during the first sentence of his homily! This is something I have made a practice of apologizing to God about every time I hear someone use it and taking God's name in vain. That was not exactly the answer to my prayer, I can assure you! Am I being overly sensitive to this all-too-common phrase?

I sure don't have the answers when someone of this caliber replaces a truly holy priest. Is it best to be frank and hope that an honest exchange might have an impact on some of his behaviors? Is it best just to pray? I know that I should be very grateful just to have a priest at our church, but...it's just not an easy time.

I will pray for you and please pray for me!

03/21/2013 new

(Quote) Susan-635047 said: Am I being overly sensitive to this all-too-common phrase?
(Quote) Susan-635047 said:

Am I being overly sensitive to this all-too-common phrase?

--hide--

No, you are not, as it is not only an offense against God, but a source of scandal coming from a priest. It may have been a one-time slip. If it happens again, especially soon, you may want to talk to the priest about your concerns.

03/21/2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: He doesn't speak like this outside of Mass.He is here to 'bring our parish back toge...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

He doesn't speak like this outside of Mass.
He is here to 'bring our parish back together, to encourage forgiveness for past hurts in our church, to firmly bring us back into line' (to stop council members and lay groups from thinking they should be in charge) -- I don't think I can go through them. And I'm not sure how it would go if I approach him -- he is on the lookout for 'trouble-makers' as it is and might lable me as one if I say a thing!

--hide--
He certainly has some worthwhile goals, all of which can be pointed out favorably to him. It's unfortunate that politics and power interfere with the intended workings of the council and lay groups. The problem isn't isolated to your parish. These people should be reminded of their true role in the Church and how they are to assist the pastor, not usurp his authority. So much can be accomplished when all of these groups work together.

Perhaps you can lend your support to his causes, and in the process mention your concern. I'm wondering if other parishioners are bothered by his mannerisms while saying Mass.

03/21/2013 new

eyepopping Oh, DUH!!!!

Um...gluten-free, low-sodium crackers? scratchchin

I love you, Jerry!

03/21/2013 new

We just 'lost' a new pastor after a year -- he was brought here for the same reasons -- but he had a very unhelpful way about him of changing things w/o knowing why they were set up that way, firing people and then telling everyone (in print in the weekly bulletin) that these people chose to retire/move on/leave employment on their own, which was not well taken at all. He was yanked out of here and after 2 months of our current priest being overwhelmed with school, parish, etc duties, we have our new one -- we are all praying he will 'fit' yet lead with strength and love and truth.

03/21/2013 new

I wish you the best of luck Rachel. I am lucky enough that at the cathedral we have approximately 4 priest who serve mass and they are all great men. Sometimes, we don`t understand them and how they choose to proceed, but God has put them in our path and in our church for a reason!

Maybe he has something to teach you annd maybe you can bring him something too.

For example, one of the Priests at my Cathedrale does not like giving homelies. He thinks everything is quite evident. But when Pope Francis was named he gave such a heart felt homely that not only made us better understand what the Mass and Church is all about but also gave us a climpse into his own heart.

So don`t loose hope!

Melissa

Posts 11 - 20 of 41