Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: My late husband was a retired Lt. Colonel and thereafter continue to serve his country in the D...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

My late husband was a retired Lt. Colonel and thereafter continue to serve his country in the DoD. He demanded integrity and one's best service, and gave more than he demanded. I can never remember him raising his voice. I deliberately placed the word demanding in the sentence beginning "He demanded." One could just as easily replace the word demanded with expected. In my view, those are the men who are leaders and my their nature must require a certain level of expectations. That type of "demanding" I have no problem with and would welcome another relationship of equal integrity. However, had he been the Great Santini - hummm, not so much.

--hide--
Hi Beverly,

Thanks for another instance of qualified approval for the types who give marching orders.

John

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-444789 said: Ha! Are you kidding me? I am pretty certain that what few balanced men ther...
(Quote) Brenda-444789 said:

Ha! Are you kidding me? I am pretty certain that what few balanced men there are around here have long since been taken. Not that I mind a challenge, but I've already had my fill of 'un-balanced' men. I'm seriously beginning to think that a life of permanent chastity will prove much easier on my heart, soul and energy level than trying to sift through any more men.

--hide--
Hi Brenda,

Sounds like you have a supply-side problem. Before long you'll probably be demanding a better supply to correct your balance sheet. At least the supply of beef should be good in your area. eyebrow mischievous

John

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-444789 said: I can't begin to answer for John's interpretation of what he said.... but as a mystery w...

I can't begin to answer for John's interpretation of what he said.... but as a mystery writer and fan - I can hazard a guess that it may boil down to control, deceit, manipulation and a good deal more. Just my

--hide--
I meant no more than that a good trait such as intelligence or strength can be misused and similarly that the same might be said for a certain ability to be demanding in some situations.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: I think we all make demands, (I.e., do your homework, eat your vegetables, clean your room, cut the ...
(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: I think we all make demands, (I.e., do your homework, eat your vegetables, clean your room, cut the grass--to our children) to adults, I think they are expectations that are demanding and the problem is when the expectations are not clearly conveyed, whether its in asking a subordinate to take on an assignment at work, or something else with a spouse/dating partner. Even when we say silently "that was stupid" that is demanding of our behavior to always be perfect. I think someone needs to be motivated and driven (not type A necessarily) to want to be clean and meet to put their best foot forward, go to work everyday, etc. to demand that someone be that way can be abusive, and either acceptance needs to be demonstrated, or we need to move on (and if we at the time can't move on find someone to vent to)
--hide--
I posted a link earlier, but in case you missed it, I'll re-post it. The word, "demand", may not be heard directly, but the "dying patient" in this case needed a demanding "doctor": www.cbsnews.com Over the years the "doctor" did great things for this "patient".

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) John-184825 said: (Quote) Brenda-444789 said: Ha! Are you kidding me? I ...
(Quote) John-184825 said:

Quote:
Brenda-444789 said:

Ha! Are you kidding me? I am pretty certain that what few balanced men there are around here have long since been taken. Not that I mind a challenge, but I've already had my fill of 'un-balanced' men. I'm seriously beginning to think that a life of permanent chastity will prove much easier on my heart, soul and energy level than trying to sift through any more men.

Hi Brenda,

Sounds like you have a supply-side problem. Before long you'll probably be demanding a better supply to correct your balance sheet. At least the supply of beef should be good in your area.

John

--hide--

Yes, beef we've got. But alas....no available beefcake! laughing I realize that if I were to move back to a more populated area, my choices would be much greater - but with my track record; if I headed to the west coast, the man God intended for me would be on the east coast. So for now... I guess I'll just hang out here in the middle and see if God has figured out some way of dropping 'the one' in my lap. wink crossfingers

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) John-184825 said: Hi Lynea, Some versions of Mr. Demanding, not the most extreme of forms but a sort higher t...
(Quote) John-184825 said:

Hi Lynea,

Some versions of Mr. Demanding, not the most extreme of forms but a sort higher than most on the demand scale, may employ demanding tones only after the softer approaches fail, which eventuality might never occur in your personal world. Maybe this more lyneant type would be acceptable to someone named Lynea.

John

--hide--

"Demanding" to me has a negative conotation, as a descriptive of a man, as it denotes things that are unreasonable and/or lacking patience and/or charity, etc. Some examples are expecting the woman to cook and clean when she just had major surgery, demanding she dress a certain way, demanding she wear makeup or not wear makeup, demand that the girlfriend get rid of her dying pet, etc. Those were the kinds of things I would describe as demanding.

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Lynea-297530 said: "Demanding" to me has a negative conotation, as a descriptive of a man, as it denotes t...
(Quote) Lynea-297530 said:

"Demanding" to me has a negative conotation, as a descriptive of a man, as it denotes things that are unreasonable and/or lacking patience and/or charity, etc. Some examples are expecting the woman to cook and clean when she just had major surgery, demanding she dress a certain way, demanding she wear makeup or not wear makeup, demand that the girlfriend get rid of her dying pet, etc. Those were the kinds of things I would describe as demanding.

--hide--
Lynea,

In isolation and without context, the word, "demand" does not have a very friendly "feel" and therefore some people might think that, for any kind of friendly relationship, the absence of demand is best.

I was mainly asking whether any degree of demandingness would be permitted or even good. From what members have said in their replies, the answer seems to be that someone should be ready to make demands in extreme situations and that in such situations the absence of demandingness could be harmful. What not good would be for someone to start everything with a demanding tone and attitude. There may be some people whom you know and like who have never shown any demandingness in your presence, but who would do so in certain drastic circumstances such as a serious automobile accident if everybody was standing around in a daze and doing nothing possible to help the injured or call an ambulance. Your opinion about these people would probably not drop because of their demands in such a circumstance.

The "demand" examples that you mentioned are in situations where no aspect of the situation is so extreme in a negative way to require the intensity of demandingness. One with that kind of hard heart would hardly ever win a heart. wide eyed Blinded by love

John

Mar 24th 2013 new

The word in question, John, wasn't "demand" but "Demanding" as in, "Mr. Demanding."

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-444789 said: Yes, beef we've got. But alas....no available beefcake! I realize that if I were to move...

Yes, beef we've got. But alas....no available beefcake! I realize that if I were to move back to a more populated area, my choices would be much greater - but with my track record; if I headed to the west coast, the man God intended for me would be on the east coast. So for now... I guess I'll just hang out here in the middle and see if God has figured out some way of dropping 'the one' in my lap.

--hide--
Your words make it seem that for the women of western Nebraska finding beefcake is no cakewalk. boggled If you worked in one of the restaurants in Ogallala where the interstate buses stop, maybe the occasional travelling CM males could say, "Hello", not that many use that mode of transportation frequently. Since you probably already are employed, I guess that you won't be serving any cake in that town soon. Sorry that my suggestion was a poor one, but it was the only possibility that came to mind. smile

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Lynea-297530 said: The word in question, John, wasn't "demand" but "Demanding" as in, "...
(Quote) Lynea-297530 said:

The word in question, John, wasn't "demand" but "Demanding" as in, "Mr. Demanding."

--hide--
Lynea,

Yes, "demandingness" and "demand" are different, but related words. Despite that, I see no significant difference in what my questions would have been had I chosen, "demand".

I used "demandingness" as just one of many words whose root is "demand"; that is, what I meant by, "demandingness" was to be understood as flowing from that base word. I could have written other words or phrases derived from "demand" to ask the same overall question. I could have employed, "demander", "demanding attitude" and the like. Of course, I would have had to alter the surrounding wording and I could not simply have replaced "demandingness" with a different word or phrase; for instance, had the title been, The Demander, topic could have been produced in a way that asked the same questions.

I'd imagine that some Olympic coaches and astronaut-program managers are very demanding types without all of them be undesirable characters. Is that what you found? scratchchin

Surmising that the production of either rockets or rockettes is demanding, cool

John

Posts 51 - 60 of 60