Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.

Hi CM Family!

So in this thread I am asking for advice, input, etc. on my idea of moving to California. Hopefully I will get mostly positive feedback as I have noticed many of you, both male and female, live there. I know that everyone I have spoken to that lives there or has lived there or has even spent a significant amout of time there says that it is gorgeous, the weather is great, and that they are jealous that I am single and able to uproot my life to California. I tend to be a pretty positive person, but I am a realist, so if you have some negative things to tell me about the cost of living, etc., etc. then I'll try and take it like a true Texan. ;)

Everyone that has never been to California is telling me that I am crazy. Granted, most of them have never left the state of Texas and think Texas is the best place on Earth. I love Texas but feel that it's time for a change. For several years I have longed to move to California but have been stuck in Texas for school. Now that I am moving on to the next chapter of my life I am thinking now is the time to take this chance before I get tied down with other aspects of my life (graduate school and a job). I will be studying public health but most likely doing it through an online program so that won't matter. And I hope to go into clinical research or something of that nature and have noticed there are many opportunities to work in this field in Cali.

So, Californians--what is your take? I've mostly heard nothing but complaints about the cost of living, etc. but of course I already know this--and have known about this for quite a long time. However, that does not detour me. Thanks! :)

Tiffiany

Mar 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Hi CM Family! So in this thread I am asking for advice, input, etc. on my idea of movin...
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:

Hi CM Family!

So in this thread I am asking for advice, input, etc. on my idea of moving to California. Hopefully I will get mostly positive feedback as I have noticed many of you, both male and female, live there. I know that everyone I have spoken to that lives there or has lived there or has even spent a significant amout of time there says that it is gorgeous, the weather is great, and that they are jealous that I am single and able to uproot my life to California. I tend to be a pretty positive person, but I am a realist, so if you have some negative things to tell me about the cost of living, etc., etc. then I'll try and take it like a true Texan. ;)

Everyone that has never been to California is telling me that I am crazy. Granted, most of them have never left the state of Texas and think Texas is the best place on Earth. I love Texas but feel that it's time for a change. For several years I have longed to move to California but have been stuck in Texas for school. Now that I am moving on to the next chapter of my life I am thinking now is the time to take this chance before I get tied down with other aspects of my life (graduate school and a job). I will be studying public health but most likely doing it through an online program so that won't matter. And I hope to go into clinical research or something of that nature and have noticed there are many opportunities to work in this field in Cali.

So, Californians--what is your take? I've mostly heard nothing but complaints about the cost of living, etc. but of course I already know this--and have known about this for quite a long time. However, that does not detour me. Thanks! :)

Tiffiany

--hide--

This is a beautiful state with a variety of interesting people. I think you should come and visit to see if you would like it. I think there are many benefits to living here. What part of California do you have in mind?

Mar 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Hi CM Family! So in this thread I am asking for advice, input, etc. on my idea of movin...

Hi CM Family!

Tiffiany

--hide--

Hi Tiffany .. You are still young and pursuing graduate studies is great. I think your field of work in Clinical research will have good jobs in California. I hear there are lots of pharmaceutical companies there.

Continue to pray about it. Moving can be stressful but it broadens your horizons and makes you see the world in different perspectives.

Go with God.. He will never leave you or forsake you... Find a good church.. I just moved 20 miles to a new town in NJ and it has been stressful but good too...

I hope that helps a bit...
KathleenPraying hug rosary

Mar 21st 2013 new

Hi, Tiffany,

I moved to California just over a year ago from Indiana. It was a major move for me since I am so much older than you. I have a son & his family out here & they had been encouraging this move for many years. Finally, the timing was right & I'm glad I made the move. I left behind many dear friends who I miss tremendously! But slowly I'm beginning to meet some very nice people here. I've had some physical problems that kept me from being active from the beginning -- 2 knee replacements during the past year!

What I appreciate most about being here in the San Diego area is the climate. It's so nice not to worry about snow & ice & bitter cold. I miss the fall colors, but it's surprising to see so many roses in bloom in the middle of December! Most days the sky is a lovely shade of blue.

California is a large state, so where you move will decide what type of climate you will be living in. But wherever you go, you will have the opportunity to find just the right parish for you & will begin to meet people who are like-minded. Do some research before you finalize your decision, but know that you're not crazy for wanting to come to California!

Mar 21st 2013 new
Thanks Carol for sharing your story & for your affirmation that I am not crazy for wanting to move there. I know I am not; like I said, most of the people not wanting me to move are older relatives who have never left the state of Texas. They think all California is is liberals and earthquakes. Very close-minded opinions if you ask me. I feel like you only live once and you have to do so with no regrets. As for those who will be sad to see me go, well I will miss them but at the end of the day it's my life and I know I can't let them selfishly hold me back.
Mar 21st 2013 new

(Quote) at the end of the day it's my life and I know I can't let them selfishly hold me back.
(Quote) at the end of the day it's my life and I know I can't let them selfishly hold me back.
--hide--

Good, sensible attitude! I hope you will let us all know what transpires.

Mar 21st 2013 new

Move to California! I'm originally from California (born and raised) and it is always a breath of fresh air when I come back to my homestate. Weather is great (no real earthquakes in Southern California, I think I felt two minor "burps" when I was a kid, but that is it and it was while I was sleeping making me wake up for 2 seconds and then quickly fall back asleep). And to correct the misconception or truth about liberals, California is a tremendously huge state. I would say the most liberal side of California is the upper half (Northerna California including the bay area), while the Southern half has more conservative groups, but honestly that is a huge generalization as throughout the entire state there are pockets of beautifully devoted Catholics with the beautiful Catholic Missions and monasteries speckled throughout the state as you travel the coast. I grew up in the Southern half and to give you an idea of the kind of devotional Catholic present, I grew up with the Traditional Latin mass and it is still there to this day.

God bless you on your discerment. As an aside, I have a few friends who have been in similar situations as youself, ie: requiring a change. They have made moves from Boston to Pennsylvania for instance or other states. So it is not a strange or "crazy" thing that you are doing, but rather normal, at least, from what I have seen with some of my friends in our age group.

Mar 21st 2013 new

1. Definitely take the plunge and go somewhere other than Texas.
2. I once heard someone say, everyone should live in San Francisco Bay Area and in NYC long enough to appreciate them but not long enough to become part of them. Wise words.
3. I moved from Nor Cal to Maine to escape the complete weirdness of the mindset. If it's wacky, you can bet someone in the Bay Area is doing it, doing it publicly, showing it on TV, and trying to make it law AND taught in school. eyepopping (Sadly for me, my part of Maine is nearly as bad.)
4. Cost of living is very high; wages not so good. I would expect state income tax (hahaha- there's a new one for you Texans!) will increase, since the state's in poor financial condition.
5. I would say, attend a CM gathering in California. Tack on a vacation.
6. Then move somewhere else.
two cents

Mar 21st 2013 new

Hi CM Family!

Tiffiany

--hide--

Tiffany,

I'm not going to tell you what to do (because nobody listens to advice anyway), but I would probably speak to all of those people from California who are moving to Texas before I packed my bags. I suspect they know something you don't.

You can start here:

www.sacbee.com

www.nbclosangeles.com

www.sfgate.com

www.nationalreview.com

www.nationalreview.com

(BTW, I lived in Orange County, CA for about 18 months.)

Mar 21st 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: Tiffany,I'm not going to tell you what to do (because nobody listens to...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

Tiffany,

I'm not going to tell you what to do (because nobody listens to advice anyway), but I would probably speak to all of those people from California who are moving to Texas before I packed my bags. I suspect they know something you don't.

You can start here:

www.sacbee.com

www.nbclosangeles.com

www.sfgate.com

www.nationalreview.com

www.nationalreview.com

(BTW, I lived in Orange County, CA for about 18 months.)

--hide--

Well, I'm going to skip looking at any of these articles. I know Texas is a great state and the economy is amazing, particularly in Houston where I am from. However, I'm looking to explore a new place and get out of Texas. I've never fit in here and never will. I hate Cowboy hats and boots and camo. God has placed some really wonderful people into my life who have lived in Cali and are trying to get back there--some of them in the armed services and thus waiting until the door opens for them to return and others looking for a job or waiting until their kids get a certain age. I am young and single and I'll take advantage of that. I have put out several applications for jobs within the field I want to work in in California and literally within the past 24 hours am already hearing back. There are pros and cons with everything. Texas is known for it's oil and businesses but those fields don't appeal or apply to me. We may have a great economy and you can buy a huge house here but I'd rather live in a closet and be happy--and live where I want to live--than to live in a mansion in Texas anyday. California has plenty of opportunities for what I'm going into and I've pretty much made up my mind that by Jan. 2014 I will be living there. Anyone interested in knowing more can PM me.

Posts 1 - 10 of 65