Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.
Mar 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Adriana-938047 said: Move to California! I'm originally from California (born and raised) and it is always a bre...
(Quote) Adriana-938047 said:

Move to California! I'm originally from California (born and raised) and it is always a breath of fresh air when I come back to my homestate. Weather is great (no real earthquakes in Southern California, I think I felt two minor "burps" when I was a kid, but that is it and it was while I was sleeping making me wake up for 2 seconds and then quickly fall back asleep). And to correct the misconception or truth about liberals, California is a tremendously huge state. I would say the most liberal side of California is the upper half (Northerna California including the bay area), while the Southern half has more conservative groups, but honestly that is a huge generalization as throughout the entire state there are pockets of beautifully devoted Catholics with the beautiful Catholic Missions and monasteries speckled throughout the state as you travel the coast. I grew up in the Southern half and to give you an idea of the kind of devotional Catholic present, I grew up with the Traditional Latin mass and it is still there to this day.

God bless you on your discerment. As an aside, I have a few friends who have been in similar situations as youself, ie: requiring a change. They have made moves from Boston to Pennsylvania for instance or other states. So it is not a strange or "crazy" thing that you are doing, but rather normal, at least, from what I have seen with some of my friends in our age group.

--hide--

Hi Tiffiany! There is no doubt that California is a beautiful state! Every region is different, though, as many of the other posters have said. Do some research on where you think you would like to live and post another thread. I think you'll get more specific feedback. Also, your vacation will be a good indication if you like it here! Chelle

Mar 22nd 2013 new

Hi Tiffany!

You are not crazy. Recently I started a thread in this room about moving to San Fran, and there were plenty of people who thought I was crazy too. rolling eyes

I think it's important to identify what's most important to you - the weather, the people, the lack of liberals (lol), jobs, beach, proximity to certain activities outdoors, church of course, etc. I agree that California is overall very liberal. For some people that alone is enough of a deterrent, but it doesn't sound like that's the case for you. It's not for me either. Yes, there are many Catholics here - and like everywhere else, practicing faithful Catholics are not easy to come by outside of church, but I'm pretty sure that's no different from the majority of the country.

The weather is amazing. Especially in Southern California. The cost of living is higher in the Bay Area than down here in San Diego. It all depends on where you plan to go, but it's totally doable everywhere. You will have to compromise on the size of the place and possibly location, but it's doable. You get used to the cost of living fast (at least I did) and it starts to feel normal.

When I moved out here 8 years ago, I got laughed at when I told people I wanted a 2-bedroom for a 3-digit price. I thought, watch me. And I got the place I needed under a thousand. Yes, I had to compromise on location, but that was fine with me.

So are you applying for work all over Cali or in a certain area? My advice: in Southern California, go to San Diego or Orange County. Don't go to L.A. In Northern Cali, the Bay Area obviously.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me. I'll be happy to share my experience with you.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Chelle-924354 said: Hi Tiffiany! There is no doubt that California is a beautiful state! Every region is dif...
(Quote) Chelle-924354 said:

Hi Tiffiany! There is no doubt that California is a beautiful state! Every region is different, though, as many of the other posters have said. Do some research on where you think you would like to live and post another thread. I think you'll get more specific feedback. Also, your vacation will be a good indication if you like it here! Chelle

--hide--

Thanks Chelle! Well, at this point I feel it's futile to get anyone's response as I feel I have gathered all that I need to know. I'm just going to have to see it for myself with my vacation in May, like you said! :) As far as what part I am looking to move to, I honestly can't decide if I prefer Northern or Southern Cal but it really will just depend upon where I get a job--or if I'm truly blessed, which company offers me the best package. Since I'm hoping to be able to stick with a company for at least a couple of years while I work on my Master's.

Thanks to everyone for their input! :)

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Thanks Chelle! Well, at this point I feel it's futile to get anyone's response as I fe...
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:

Thanks Chelle! Well, at this point I feel it's futile to get anyone's response as I feel I have gathered all that I need to know. I'm just going to have to see it for myself with my vacation in May, like you said! :) As far as what part I am looking to move to, I honestly can't decide if I prefer Northern or Southern Cal but it really will just depend upon where I get a job--or if I'm truly blessed, which company offers me the best package. Since I'm hoping to be able to stick with a company for at least a couple of years while I work on my Master's.

Thanks to everyone for their input! :)

--hide--

Hopefully the weather will cooperate for you in May - May and June are the two cloudy months in the year here in Southern Cali. So don't be disappointed if you are greeted by overcast skies - it's not typical weather year-round.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: Hopefully the weather will cooperate for you in May - May and June are the two cloudy mont...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

Hopefully the weather will cooperate for you in May - May and June are the two cloudy months in the year here in Southern Cali. So don't be disappointed if you are greeted by overcast skies - it's not typical weather year-round.

--hide--

Haha. Well, as the saying goes, if I can appreciate at its worst I'm sure I can tolerate it at its best. I'm really just looking forward to some time off from work (and school) and seeing new places, meeting new people, and taking in the culture. It can rain every day and I'd still be happy--I'll just bring an umbrella! :)

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Haha. Well, as the saying goes, if I can appreciate at its worst I'm sure I can tolerate i...

Haha. Well, as the saying goes, if I can appreciate at its worst I'm sure I can tolerate it at its best. I'm really just looking forward to some time off from work (and school) and seeing new places, meeting new people, and taking in the culture. It can rain every day and I'd still be happy--I'll just bring an umbrella! :)

--hide--

It won't rain, it may just be cloudy. I guess we take the sun so for granted that when it's going to be cloudy I feel the need to warn people. lol. The rainy season is the winter. It doesn't rain in the summer.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: It won't rain, it may just be cloudy. I guess we take the sun so for granted that when...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

It won't rain, it may just be cloudy. I guess we take the sun so for granted that when it's going to be cloudy I feel the need to warn people. lol. The rainy season is the winter. It doesn't rain in the summer.

--hide--

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

Mar 22nd 2013 new

Do it! SoCal weather is the best and we have great schools if you're interested in grad school. I will say LA traffic is terrible but other than that I think SoCal has great opportunities. I think it's always good to look for a change especially if you have no commitments (relationships, children). Even though I love Cali, I'm looking to move out of state, at least for a few years. If you don't like it, you can always go back home.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Carolina-908134 said: Do it! SoCal weather is the best and we have great schools if you're interested in grad sc...
(Quote) Carolina-908134 said:

Do it! SoCal weather is the best and we have great schools if you're interested in grad school. I will say LA traffic is terrible but other than that I think SoCal has great opportunities. I think it's always good to look for a change especially if you have no commitments (relationships, children). Even though I love Cali, I'm looking to move out of state, at least for a few years. If you don't like it, you can always go back home.

--hide--

Thanks! So where are you looking to move to?

Mar 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: California has plenty of opportunities for what I'm going into and I've pretty much ma...

California has plenty of opportunities for what I'm going into and I've pretty much made up my mind that by Jan. 2014 I will be living there.

--hide--

Tiffany,

I'm not sure why you started the thread but hey, enjoy the Golden State!

Posts 11 - 20 of 65