Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.
Mar 22nd 2013 new

San Francisco is cold in the summer, warm in October. Rest of the Bay Area is pleasant except for the last two weeks of July, then it's "hot" (i.e., 87!!!!)
The area on the way to Sacramento gets over 100 in the summer.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

Nope, nope. nope -- she said she was sick of cowboy hats.

Mar 22nd 2013 new

I moved away from the Bay Area because it is -- and has been, ever since I can remember (I was raised there, during Hippie days) -- a godless, moral cesspool.

Mar 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: What are the things you would consider when deciding whether or not to move somewhere? Just curio...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

What are the things you would consider when deciding whether or not to move somewhere? Just curious - maybe this will help me figure out why people think moving to California is such a crazy thing.

--hide--

One thing very important is to find a population in control that doesn't worship the created more than the Creator.
Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Clair-6292 said: One thing very important is to find a population in control that doesn't worship the created m...
(Quote) Clair-6292 said:

One thing very important is to find a population in control that doesn't worship the created more than the Creator.
--hide--

Yes, this is the ideal, but I was looking more for specific observable aspecs of a city/state that will actually have a direct effect on a person's life if they moved there. For example, the climate, the number of potential employers in the area, availability of recreation nearby that a person enjoys, availability of solid churches - these types of things.

Earthquakes aside, I hear people complain that California is very liberal. This is true. But my question is, if one holds that moving to Cali is crazy because of the liberals, how specifically will the liberals affect your daily living here? If the concern is the ability to make friends with like-minded people, then I would think that one should be able to find at least SOME conservatives to associate with - after all, not every single person here is a liberal. And if you have your circle of friends, what does it matter that others around you are liberal? I'm just asking - maybe it matters - I'm just trying to understand the logic behind it.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: how specifically will the liberals affect your daily living here?
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

how specifically will the liberals affect your daily living here?

--hide--

A few that come to mind immediately:

(a) They have had a significant influence on the law and administrative regulations that will govern your daily life.

(b) Ditto for work place policies and procedures, which may include requirements to attend diversity or sensitivity training sessions that are inconsistent with the Catholic faith and/or pressure to donate to morally objectionable causes.

(c) The money you spend is more likely to go to liberal business owners who may then use it to promote or support gravely immoral causes.

(d) The constant exposure to liberal ideology in the background can lead to desensitization over time.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: A few that come to mind immediately: (a) They have had a significant influence on ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

A few that come to mind immediately:

(a) They have had a significant influence on the law and administrative regulations that will govern your daily life.

(b) Ditto for work place policies and procedures, which may include requirements to attend diversity or sensitivity training sessions that are inconsistent with the Catholic faith and/or pressure to donate to morally objectionable causes.

(c) The money you spend is more likely to go to liberal business owners who may then use it to promote or support gravely immoral causes.

(d) The constant exposure to liberal ideology in the background can lead to desensitization over time.

--hide--

Jerry, although I think you have some very valid points I will say that MOST OF AMERICA is turning liberal. Even if they say they are Republic or Independent doesn't mean they aren't liberal. I live in Houston, one of the cities for the most "Mega Churches" at yet we are a very liberal city. Our Mayor is homosexual, we have an area named Montrose that used to be very cutesy and eclectice but it is known as the "gay area" of Houston, and we are home to the nation's LARGEST PLANNED PARENTHOOD facility.

I can definitely see where desensitization can occur; however, it all depends upon what field of work you go into and who you socialize with outside of work. As for me, I prefer a smaller, close-knit circle of friends who have similar morals and values as me because otherwise I've learned that I am chastised for my beliefs. When it comes to work-related issues, regardless of the place you live, it is illegal to discriminate even based upon someone's religious beliefs. This is guaranteed by our US Constitution and Bill of Rights, of which I'm sure you know; and, unfortunately, even those two things are being destroyed or at least devalued by our liberal government.

There really is no "safe" state. It is just a sign of the times. Yes, you can live somewhere such as Montana or Wyoming which I'm sure if very, very conservative. Or Utah. I have family there (and no, they're not Mormon but Catholic). But, at the end of the day, liberalism is taking over American and the world because at the root of the problem is a lack of faith in God.

We are called to be Salt and Light to the World. Jesus didn't surroud Himself with the sinless but the sinners. Although I'm not saying let's just run out and start hanging out at strip clubs and drug houses, I certainly think that you can be a positive influence whereever you are. It just takes a very special person to do it, a lot of help from the Holy Spirit, and lots and lots of prayer.

Just food for thought but thanks for your input! :)

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Nope, nope. nope -- she said she was sick of cowboy hats.
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Nope, nope. nope -- she said she was sick of cowboy hats.

--hide--

Haha! Thanks Marge for reminding him of that. Yes, everyone seems to think Texas is all Cowboys and horses and some parts are. But, I have never fit in with that and never will. I love horses and the outdoors but I'm not what one would consider "truly Texan."

As far as weather and temps go, I think I will be able to handle just about anything as long as it's not below freezing and snowing blizzards. I hate lots and lots of snow--or at least having to live in it. Houston has some of the WORST weather, especially during the summer. Very, very hot and humid. Like 105F + and so sticky and sweaty you have to come home and change just to keep from feeling like you've been in a sauna all day long. That's why when summer rolls around most of stay indoors--like all the time. We literally run from our air conditioned cars to our air conditioned work spaces adn then back to our air conditioned cars and then finally to our air conditioned homes. LOL I prefer warmer weather but the humidity is what really makes higher temps bad. I have family in Utah (the lower, desert part) and when I visit them in the summer I love it! A bit hot but dry hot. So, if I can live in an area with a bit cooler temps and a little humidity then I'll take it! :)

Mar 23rd 2013 new

HI Tiffany,

I say you are young and single and now is the time to explore the world so go for it. I married a southern California surfer boy :-). . .although he preferred the boogie board he said lol. He loved California, missed the ocean terribly, but was adament that he didn't want to raise his kiddos there.

My daddy was a Texan from Paris and he spent several years in California about the same age that you are now. He used to go on and on about how great California was so my mom told him one day, if its so great why don't we move there. . .he felt the same way about raising his kiddos not in California.

When my son graduated from boot camp in Southern California we went out for the graduation ceremony and spent a couple of days there. I felt a little bad for my husband who was so excited to show his kiddos the ocean and his four little Okies just weren't all that taken with it LOL. He and I used to daydream about retiring to live on a house boat either in California or Florida, he had actually lived in Florida on a houseboat for a couple of years when he was kid. Or I could get a job in Hawaii and he could retire to be a beach bum :-).

So spread your wings and go :-) it's your time to do such things, your life will be richer for the experience of it.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: HI Tiffany, I say you are young and single and now is the time to explore the world so go...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

HI Tiffany,

I say you are young and single and now is the time to explore the world so go for it. I married a southern California surfer boy :-). . .although he preferred the boogie board he said lol. He loved California, missed the ocean terribly, but was adament that he didn't want to raise his kiddos there.

My daddy was a Texan from Paris and he spent several years in California about the same age that you are now. He used to go on and on about how great California was so my mom told him one day, if its so great why don't we move there. . .he felt the same way about raising his kiddos not in California.

When my son graduated from boot camp in Southern California we went out for the graduation ceremony and spent a couple of days there. I felt a little bad for my husband who was so excited to show his kiddos the ocean and his four little Okies just weren't all that taken with it LOL. He and I used to daydream about retiring to live on a house boat either in California or Florida, he had actually lived in Florida on a houseboat for a couple of years when he was kid. Or I could get a job in Hawaii and he could retire to be a beach bum :-).

So spread your wings and go :-) it's your time to do such things, your life will be richer for the experience of it.

--hide--

Thanks, Lauren! I am super excited about the new opportunities that await me and definitely look forward to new experiences (and sites)!

Posts 31 - 40 of 65