Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.
Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Carol-737878 said: Hi, Tiffany, I moved to California just over a year ago from Indiana. It was a major m...
(Quote) Carol-737878 said:

Hi, Tiffany,

I moved to California just over a year ago from Indiana. It was a major move for me since I am so much older than you. I have a son & his family out here & they had been encouraging this move for many years. Finally, the timing was right & I'm glad I made the move. I left behind many dear friends who I miss tremendously! But slowly I'm beginning to meet some very nice people here. I've had some physical problems that kept me from being active from the beginning -- 2 knee replacements during the past year!

What I appreciate most about being here in the San Diego area is the climate. It's so nice not to worry about snow & ice & bitter cold. I miss the fall colors, but it's surprising to see so many roses in bloom in the middle of December! Most days the sky is a lovely shade of blue.

California is a large state, so where you move will decide what type of climate you will be living in. But wherever you go, you will have the opportunity to find just the right parish for you & will begin to meet people who are like-minded. Do some research before you finalize your decision, but know that you're not crazy for wanting to come to California!

--hide--

When you miss the fall colors either go to Disneyland...they put on a fantastic fall wonderland or for the real thing just take a drive to the local mountains. I go to Big Bear Lake:) Also for the snow in the winter:) Then you can just drive down the mountain and you have your good weather again! California pretty much has it all!

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Thanks Carol for sharing your story & for your affirmation that I am not crazy for wanting to mov...
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Thanks Carol for sharing your story & for your affirmation that I am not crazy for wanting to move there. I know I am not; like I said, most of the people not wanting me to move are older relatives who have never left the state of Texas. They think all California is is liberals and earthquakes. Very close-minded opinions if you ask me. I feel like you only live once and you have to do so with no regrets. As for those who will be sad to see me go, well I will miss them but at the end of the day it's my life and I know I can't let them selfishly hold me back.
--hide--

We may have earthquakes but I don't think it compares to the crazy weather in Texas:) My brother went to Texas for a job for 2 years and cut it short a year and moved back. He is pretty much a cowboy, but the weather was too much for him and his wife. As far as the liberals go, that depends on where you move. I live in Orange county which is very conservative. I think California got that reputation because of Hollyweird but remember that we voted against gay marriag in 2 different elections and the only reason it will go through is because the courts are over riding the people.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: 1. Definitely take the plunge and go somewhere other
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

1. Definitely take the plunge and go somewhere other than Texas.
2. I once heard someone say, everyone should live in San Francisco Bay Area and in NYC long enough to appreciate them but not long enough to become part of them. Wise words.
3. I moved from Nor Cal to Maine to escape the complete weirdness of the mindset. If it's wacky, you can bet someone in the Bay Area is doing it, doing it publicly, showing it on TV, and trying to make it law AND taught in school. (Sadly for me, my part of Maine is nearly as bad.)
4. Cost of living is very high; wages not so good. I would expect state income tax (hahaha- there's a new one for you Texans!) will increase, since the state's in poor financial condition.
5. I would say, attend a CM gathering in California. Tack on a vacation.
6. Then move somewhere else.

--hide--

Yup, just had a tax hike... ballotpedia.org

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: (Quote) Sean-851370 said: Move to Bakersfield. The Central Valley has oil wells...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

Quote:
Sean-851370 said: Move to Bakersfield. The Central Valley has oil wells and cotton fields...just like Texas.

I've even given that one some thought.

--hide--

Nope, I would never suggest Bakersfield. The weather isn't all that great and there is a lot of crime. My son is living there and he hates it.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Thanks! So where are you looking to move to?
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:

Thanks! So where are you looking to move to?

--hide--

Either Washington D.C., New York, or the Bay area (still in Cali).

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Hi CM Family! So in this thread I am asking for advice, input, etc. on my idea of movin...

Hi CM Family!

So in this thread I am asking for advice, input, etc. on my idea of moving to California. Hopefully I will get mostly positive feedback as I have noticed many of you, both male and female, live there. I know that everyone I have spoken to that lives there or has lived there or has even spent a significant amout of time there says that it is gorgeous, the weather is great, and that they are jealous that I am single and able to uproot my life to California. I tend to be a pretty positive person, but I am a realist, so if you have some negative things to tell me about the cost of living, etc., etc. then I'll try and take it like a true Texan. ;)

Everyone that has never been to California is telling me that I am crazy. Granted, most of them have never left the state of Texas and think Texas is the best place on Earth. I love Texas but feel that it's time for a change. For several years I have longed to move to California but have been stuck in Texas for school. Now that I am moving on to the next chapter of my life I am thinking now is the time to take this chance before I get tied down with other aspects of my life (graduate school and a job). I will be studying public health but most likely doing it through an online program so that won't matter. And I hope to go into clinical research or something of that nature and have noticed there are many opportunities to work in this field in Cali.

So, Californians--what is your take? I've mostly heard nothing but complaints about the cost of living, etc. but of course I already know this--and have known about this for quite a long time. However, that does not detour me. Thanks! :)

Tiffiany

--hide--

I love it here and would never consider leaving:) My parents are from Iowa and we spent a lot of time visiting there, so I had the experience of Midwest living, etc. My parents missed the family but NEVER considered going back. You are young, single so spread your wings! I know people all over the country. Many places are closing their churches, no priests, the homes are worth next to nothing, no jobs etc. Here, we are building churches, have plenty of priests and home prices are going up again and there are jobs. Yes our governor is a jerk, but look who is running the country. No matter where you move you have to put up with that.
When you move here be sure and explore the Central Coast, Big Sur, Monterey Bay. Some of my favorite places. There is a Benedicting Monastery in the hills of Big Sur overlooking the ocean. It is quite austere and it is a silent retreat. You stay in your own cabin and go to mass and pray with the monks....AMAZING! So much for you to look forward to:) !!

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Carolina-908134 said: Either Washington D.C., New York, or the Bay area (still in Cali).
(Quote) Carolina-908134 said:

Either Washington D.C., New York, or the Bay area (still in Cali).

--hide--

Cool! Looks like I might be moving to the Bay Area myself. So far all the interviews I have lined up are out that way. Maybe we can be coffee buddies or something? :)

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: I love it here and would never consider leaving:) My parents are from Iowa and we spent a ...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

I love it here and would never consider leaving:) My parents are from Iowa and we spent a lot of time visiting there, so I had the experience of Midwest living, etc. My parents missed the family but NEVER considered going back. You are young, single so spread your wings! I know people all over the country. Many places are closing their churches, no priests, the homes are worth next to nothing, no jobs etc. Here, we are building churches, have plenty of priests and home prices are going up again and there are jobs. Yes our governor is a jerk, but look who is running the country. No matter where you move you have to put up with that.
When you move here be sure and explore the Central Coast, Big Sur, Monterey Bay. Some of my favorite places. There is a Benedicting Monastery in the hills of Big Sur overlooking the ocean. It is quite austere and it is a silent retreat. You stay in your own cabin and go to mass and pray with the monks....AMAZING! So much for you to look forward to:) !!

--hide--

Thanks, Laurt a! :) I'm super excited already and growing more and more excited the more positive things I hear, especially from people that live there or have lived there. AND I recently learned that Cali is home to hundreds of pharmaceutical and biomedical companies which are always doing clincal research and drug trials--which is exactly the field I am looking to go into--research! :) So, it's kind of like meant to be! LOL

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Thanks, Laurt a! :) I'm super excited already and growing more and more excited t...

Thanks, Laurt a! :) I'm super excited already and growing more and more excited the more positive things I hear, especially from people that live there or have lived there. AND I recently learned that Cali is home to hundreds of pharmaceutical and biomedical companies which are always doing clincal research and drug trials--which is exactly the field I am looking to go into--research! :) So, it's kind of like meant to be! LOL

--hide--

Feel free to message me if you have any questions:)

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Hi CM Family! So in this thread I am asking for advice, input, etc. on my idea of movin...

Hi CM Family!

So in this thread I am asking for advice, input, etc. on my idea of moving to California. Hopefully I will get mostly positive feedback as I have noticed many of you, both male and female, live there. I know that everyone I have spoken to that lives there or has lived there or has even spent a significant amout of time there says that it is gorgeous, the weather is great, and that they are jealous that I am single and able to uproot my life to California. I tend to be a pretty positive person, but I am a realist, so if you have some negative things to tell me about the cost of living, etc., etc. then I'll try and take it like a true Texan. ;)

Everyone that has never been to California is telling me that I am crazy. Granted, most of them have never left the state of Texas and think Texas is the best place on Earth. I love Texas but feel that it's time for a change. For several years I have longed to move to California but have been stuck in Texas for school. Now that I am moving on to the next chapter of my life I am thinking now is the time to take this chance before I get tied down with other aspects of my life (graduate school and a job). I will be studying public health but most likely doing it through an online program so that won't matter. And I hope to go into clinical research or something of that nature and have noticed there are many opportunities to work in this field in Cali.

So, Californians--what is your take? I've mostly heard nothing but complaints about the cost of living, etc. but of course I already know this--and have known about this for quite a long time. However, that does not detour me. Thanks! :)

Tiffiany

--hide--
What part of Cal? Are ya thinkin about? So.cal is nice; Just know the "cost of Living" depending upon where ya live rent etc. can be (quite) High; But yeah give it a try; Again what part of the "Golden state" You thinkin?

Posts 41 - 50 of 65