Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.
Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: Nope, I would never suggest Bakersfield. The weather isn't all that great and there is a lot of crime...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said: Nope, I would never suggest Bakersfield. The weather isn't all that great and there is a lot of crime. My son is living there and he hates it.
--hide--

Yeah, but see, I'm oilfield trash. Make my living in it. I handled Pecos, Texas for six months. I can handle anything so long as there is someplace redeeming within a 100 mile radius.

Mar 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: Yeah, but see, I'm oilfield trash. Make my living in it. I handled Pecos, Texas...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

Yeah, but see, I'm oilfield trash. Make my living in it. I handled Pecos, Texas for six months. I can handle anything so long as there is someplace redeeming within a 100 mile radius.

--hide--

Not much within 100 mi. but a little over you have the Coast(140mi) and Sequoia National Park (115mi) :)

Mar 24th 2013 new

See, there you go. That'd work.

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:So, for anyone who actually reads this, I don't need anymore advice on moving to California. I'...
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:So, for anyone who actually reads this, I don't need anymore advice on moving to California. I've already made up my mind that if God opens the right door--ie job--then I'm going to take it. I'm young and not tied down and those are two positives on my side. Life is short and I say don't let liberals, earthquakes, Bill Mahr, or taxes which don't apply to your bracket and don't affect you, scare you! ;)

--hide--
Good for you!. Then some practical advice. Southern California (from Los Angeles to San Diego) is subject to phenomena other than earthquakes. We also suffer through a brush fire/mudslide cycle every 4-5 years. These typically happen in the eastern corridors of most So Cal counties, and of course the more rural areas. Before you choose a place to live, Google the neighborhood name + brush fire. You should be able to pull up a history of any problems. Buy renters insurance no matter where you move.

Traffic concerns are a very real part of most large California cities and we do plan where we live, when we leave for work, and what we do on weekends based upon traffic patterns. I would recommend monitoring traffic during peak hours for any areas you are considering. Again, simply Google the city you are considering + real time traffic monitoring. Check out traffic between any residence you are considering and your work address and then check traffic for at least a week at the hour you anticipate arriving for work and when you will leave for home at the end of the day.

One last bit of advice: Before you move to any residence (be it an apartment, house, or room share) enter the address into Google maps and look at the buildings on the street. Look for security bars on the windows and security screens on the doors (not good), and also check for graffiti on the walls. Monitor crime activity in your target neighborhood by going to www.crimemapping.com. The account is free and you can have daily crime reports sent to you via email.

Good luck and welcome to California!

Mar 24th 2013 new

Good advice John! One more thing I learned the hard way: Don't assume that all homes in the area have AC. Compared to other areas of the country where AC is standard, many homes here do not. So if this matters to you (depending on the microclimate of the neighborhood), make it a point to check.

I moved into my current townhouse in February (a few years ago), and didn't check to make sure the home had AC because I assume all did. The summer came and it turned out the "cool" setting on the thermostat wasn't actually connected to the AC because the home had none. I don't live near the coast, so the past few summers have been quite uncomfortable.

Mar 24th 2013 new
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Clair, I appreciate your input and certainly you are entitle...
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said:

Clair,

I appreciate your input and certainly you are entitled to your input. For starters, I NEVER do anything that Bill Mahr does; in fact, if he's leaving California then Hallelujah! That one less liberal I'll have to deal with.

Secondly, if you look at the taxes, yes, they are high--but only truly high for those make over $250,000 per year. I wish I could say I fit into that tax bracket but sadly I don't and likely never will--unless somehow God just opens up some amazing doors for me. I'm just starting out and on my way to a fine career and have realized that there are many pharmaceutical and medical companies all throughout California. This is great news for me because I'm going into clinical research and research monitoring. Plus, we all know, California could use a little more conservatives.

So, for anyone who actually reads this, I don't need anymore advice on moving to California. I've already made up my mind that if God opens the right door--ie job--then I'm going to take it. I'm young and not tied down and those are two positives on my side. Life is short and I say don't let liberals, earthquakes, Bill Mahr, or taxes which don't apply to your bracket and don't affect you, scare you! ;)

--hide--

I wouldnt worry about liberals or earthquakes. However,I would worry about taxes--esp if you plan on starting your own business someday.

Your taxes will go waaay up because you are going to pay state taxes.Housing is about 3-10 times as expensive in CA depending on where you wanna be.As a young person you probably want to be in a busy place where you have a good social life--which means LA or SF.The central valley--while having charm is really just the midwest/south with better weather. Those(SF,LA) places are expensive.

I'm not telling you not to come here--Just be wary of those things and dont let them surprise you.

A great attitude goes a long way.Enjoy the beach ,mountains and desert here as much as you can.

--You WILL be a bit overwhelmed by how liberal it is in those places that you probably want to live in as a young person. Just be on your guard a bit.

Cheers
Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Well, I'm going to skip looking at any of these articles.

Well, I'm going to skip looking at any of these articles.

--hide--

After growing up, finishing college and commencing a career in Chicago, I lived in southern California (Long Beach) for 7 years, departing in 1992. If you're going to CA, I'd recommend San Diego or Orange county in the south, or Sonoma or Napa county in the north. California costs of living range from 'high' to 'Oh my God!', and the climate anywhere near the coast is wonderful....the central valley ain't bad either. There are some wonderful communities of faith especially in those conservative counties I suggested, but as others have noted there are plenty of whack jobs too. Personal freedom is increasingly limited throughout the state as they pursue a man-made utopia at least in part by driving God and traditional morality from public life. I loved the climate, the geography, the history and some traditions, and, for the most part, my neighborhood, but because of the hideous cost of living and the personal freedom issues, I would not return until the state had a far less intrusive, far less costly government for at least a handful of years.

On the other hand, you're young, mobile, I'd guess professional (certainly educated) and well-equipped with a work ethic, so you'll likely do well there....and if you don't go, you'll always wonder! You may have to live in that closet, but you can be outside all year so what the heck?

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Thanks, Laurt a! :) I'm super excited already and growing more and more excited t...

Thanks, Laurt a! :) I'm super excited already and growing more and more excited the more positive things I hear, especially from people that live there or have lived there. AND I recently learned that Cali is home to hundreds of pharmaceutical and biomedical companies which are always doing clincal research and drug trials--which is exactly the field I am looking to go into--research! :) So, it's kind of like meant to be! LOL

--hide--

Tiffany, people gripe about the cost of living, but like in all things in life...You get what you pay for. California is amazing. I have traveled all over the world...Just got back from New Zealand today:o)...although beautiful....there is nowhere I would prefer to be than in the Bay Area.
Jobs really seem to be taking off lately. If you move to the Bay Area...just put some though into access to public transportation. MUNI in the City. BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) or the ferry system...if you decide to live outside of San Francisco. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. May would be great for you. Probably still some whales migrating along the coast.

Mar 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Thanks Carol for sharing your story & for your affirmation that I am not crazy for wanting to mov...
(Quote) Tiffiany-902101 said: Thanks Carol for sharing your story & for your affirmation that I am not crazy for wanting to move there. I know I am not; like I said, most of the people not wanting me to move are older relatives who have never left the state of Texas. They think all California is is liberals and earthquakes. Very close-minded opinions if you ask me. I feel like you only live once and you have to do so with no regrets. As for those who will be sad to see me go, well I will miss them but at the end of the day it's my life and I know I can't let them selfishly hold me back.
--hide--
Being crazy and wanting to live in California could be regarded as separate issues, but we won't go into that here... laughing

There are such contrasts, depending upon where you want to live. The Los Angeles area has ultra-long commutes to & from work, but there are a lot of things to do and places to go. Cost of living? High.

San Diego -- haven't been there but I hear it's a nice city and people seem to like it there.

San Francisco? Mixed reactions. Apparently there are seedy areas, a homeless problem for many, and, of course, a welcoming spot for gays. Don't know the extent of these problems though.

Other areas offer less populated towns and cities, some with few or non-existent amenities. Not much different than small towns across the country. Some parts have cooler climates compared to other California cities. Bottom line is what you want for a lifestyle.

It seems there are several Catholic women on CM who have a problem meeting good Catholic men. This is anecdotal, and the same is true for other places in the US.

Read up on some cities you are considering (Wikipedia can possibly give you enough info, but there are other sites as well, such as those for the cities themselves.) If you can arrange to stay in California for a few months without settling in you can get a taste of what to expect.

Also, you can check out the job market. In some fields, openings are virtually non-existent.

Unofficially, people say that New York and California are trend-setters -- largely liberal. There seems to be some truth in that because what happens in California and New York seem to develop in other states.

Lastly, consider that other Texans might consider you a traitor.... laughing

Mar 25th 2013 new
Haha Ray, if you follow any of my posts you should know that I don't really care what most people think of me--particularly Texans who are so closed-minded that they're afraid to leave their own state (and frequently talk about seceding). I love Texas but it is not me. Never has been and never will be. You crack me up though! :) I would agree that wanting to move to Cali and being crazy are two separste issues; however, most small-minded people that I've encountered count it to be one in the same. I am ultimately going to go wherever I get the best job offer--and of course the cost of living has to be factored into this. Obviously a job paying X in somewhere where the cost of living is low has to pay more if it is located in somewhere like California. I have a few interviews lined up already, mostly in California, but am certainly keeping my options open. Ultimately I just want what God wants for my life and for many years he has put California on my heart. As far as liberals I have lived in cities such as Houston and New Orleans which are two of the most liberal cities in America. Eventhough Houston is in Texas and Texas is considered "God's Country" by most Texans, we are gradually becoming more and more liberal. I think it is just the direction this world is taking and a sign of the times, as I stated in a previous post in this thread. See previous post for more details. But thank you Ray and to everyone who has contributed to this thread! I truly enjoy reading all of your input and advice and learning from your own personal experiences! :)
Posts 51 - 60 of 65