Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: As Rush would say, "Stop the tape!" I like Dennis Prager, but he's hardly objective...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

As Rush would say, "Stop the tape!" I like Dennis Prager, but he's hardly objective. Israeli arabs (those living within the green line of what is internationally recognized as Israel) do not have all the benefits of citizenship that Jewish Israelis do. Remember, Israel chooses to refer to itself as a Jewish state, which by it's very nature is incompatible with being a democracy. Look at Egypt, or Saudi Arabia.

I only posted this because it is sarcastic humor by ISRAELIS. Like I said, everyone gets the humor but Americans.

--hide--

Anyone can qualify for full citizenship in Israel. And it is actually fairly simple. For a Jew, it is especially easy. But any Muslim can become a full citizen of Israel and if they do, they enjoy every right enjoyed by any Jew citizen.

Any Palestinian born into a Palestinian family resident in Israel from before the State was formed is a full citizen of Israel with all the rights and duties as any other Israeli citizen.

Concluding that Israael is incompatible with being a democracy because it calls itself a Jewsih State has no basis in fact or reality. To the State of Israel, being Jewish has offcially nothing to do with being a religious Jew. It has everything to do with ancestry. So it fully democratic.

Come on Peter, we know that you tend to be an overly severe critic of Israel. But there is no need or call for spouting non-facts to support your position.

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Anyone can qualify for full citizenship in Israel. And it is actually fairly simple. For ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Anyone can qualify for full citizenship in Israel. And it is actually fairly simple. For a Jew, it is especially easy. But any Muslim can become a full citizen of Israel and if they do, they enjoy every right enjoyed by any Jew citizen.

Any Palestinian born into a Palestinian family resident in Israel from before the State was formed is a full citizen of Israel with all the rights and duties as any other Israeli citizen.

Concluding that Israael is incompatible with being a democracy because it calls itself a Jewsih State has no basis in fact or reality. To the State of Israel, being Jewish has offcially nothing to do with being a religious Jew. It has everything to do with ancestry. So it fully democratic.

Come on Peter, we know that you tend to be an overly severe critic of Israel. But there is no need or call for spouting non-facts to support your position.

--hide--

I should have also added: In Israel Muslims, even if they are full citizens, might find themselves discriminated against. But that was and is similar to how African Americans were treated here, or even those legal Irish and Italian immigrants were treated in turn. Or as Christians, especially Catholics, are beginning to be treated here now.

Mar 24th 2013 new

The modern state of Israel was created in order to serve as a constant source of friction in the Middle East. But whatever the origins of Israel, peace would be a good thing there.

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Anyone can qualify for full citizenship in Israel. And it is actually fairly simple. For ...

--hide--
Paul, I would be interested in your sources.

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: As I've said before Steven, we all choose our own truth- that which fits within our comfort z...

As I've said before Steven, we all choose our own truth- that which fits within our comfort zones. You deny the existence of the Israeli occupation because to do otherwise makes you uncomfortable. I choose to believe a Palestinian Christian friend who has lived through it. Like most people, I want Israel to survive and flourish in peace with their neighbors, but they are on a self destructive path. You are perfectly fine with them being in a permanent state of war with their neighbors. I prefer to side with the Vatican and pray for peace. I'll repeat: Americans are unique in that they don't get the humor in the original post because they are for the most part unaware of the occupation. Many Israelis and the rest of the world get it because they are.

--hide--

On the one hand you dismiss anything Mr. Prager has to say because , using your words, he is speaking from his heart not his head. Okay, Mr. Prager is Jewish. If you are arguing that because he is Jewish anything he has to say is biased in favor of Israel one cannot argue as that is your perception.

Putting that forth as a reason you discard Mr. Prager's comments is your opinion and you are entitled to that judgement.

But, please, don't then turn around and tell us we should buy your Christian, Palestinian friend's opinion "because he has lived through it." His opinion is at least, if not more, so prejudiced against Israel as Prager's is in favor of Israel.

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Paul, I would be interested in your sources.

Paul, I would be interested in your sources.

--hide--

Try Israeli law.

Mar 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Try Israeli law.

Try Israeli law.

--hide--
Israeli law has no credibility outside of their own country. They defy international law regarding their 'settlements' as the last several US Presidents have pointed out. Look, they can do anything they want, declare war on every Muslim country one at a time for all I care as long as they take 100% of the credit. I just don't want to see any more American soldiers dying for a foreign country. The oath we veterans took when we enlisted was a pledge to defend the United States, period.

Mar 24th 2013 new
(Quote) Peter-449116 said: I just don't want to see any more American soldiers dying for a foreign country.

I just don't want to see any more American soldiers dying for a foreign country.

--hide--
It's heartbreaking to read about so many brutally injured soldiers. www.woundedwarriorproject.org

I encourage those who use FB to "like" these pages...

www.facebook.com

www.facebook.com
Mar 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Israeli law has no credibility outside of their own country. They defy international law regardin...

Israeli law has no credibility outside of their own country. They defy international law regarding their 'settlements' as the last several US Presidents have pointed out. Look, they can do anything they want, declare war on every Muslim country one at a time for all I care as long as they take 100% of the credit. I just don't want to see any more American soldiers dying for a foreign country. The oath we veterans took when we enlisted was a pledge to defend the United States, period.

--hide--

I have to presume, by your statement, that you do not believe the United States should stand by the commitments it has made by Treaty

Mar 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: I have to presume, by your statement, that you do not believe the United States should st...

I have to presume, by your statement, that you do not believe the United States should stand by the commitments it has made by Treaty

--hide--
If Israel is the victim of an unprovoked attack we should back them of course. If they start another war we should cut the cord. Again, unconditional support of any foreign country is not how we define an American patriot. All I'm doing is criticizing our unhealthy relationship with Israel, which has proven not to be in our best interest. We owe no allegiance to them. You and I pledge our allegiance to the United States only. In George Washington's farewell address, he warned of becoming too chummy with other countries. We are all entitled to our own opinions, and believe me, I'm painfully aware of just how unpopular mine is. I have been called unpleasant names right here on CM.

Peace Dove

Posts 21 - 30 of 30