Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

03/26/2013 new
(Quote) ED-20630 said: If it feels like work to me, then I try to avoid it on Sunday. If it seems enjoyable, then I don't have...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

If it feels like work to me, then I try to avoid it on Sunday. If it seems enjoyable, then I don't have a problem with it. Same with gardening (for instance). If it seems like a job and work, then I avoid it on Sunday. If it seems enjoyable or relaxing, then I don't have a problem with it.

Ed

--hide--
There have been Sundays when I would have loved to get my sewing machine out and sew or ironing board out and iron clothes...but I don't solely because I've been taught you don't sew on Sundays. Albeit, it's getting something accomplished, but it's enjoyable and relaxing...even therapeutic. Wonder what a priest would say?
03/26/2013 new

(Quote) Luke-955053 said: The way I see it, the injunction not to work on Sundays if possible would logically include making...
(Quote) Luke-955053 said:

The way I see it, the injunction not to work on Sundays if possible would logically include making other people work for you in unnecessary secular pursuits. Ok, so try to avoid shopping on Sundays. Inconvenient at times, but not impossible. Now being single, I usually go to Church with my parents on Sundays. They like to go out to eat after Church and so do I, but I don't think I really should (see above). I have expressed my thoughts on the subject and my mother says if they went home, she would have to cook and that is work for her. I would hope hers is a labor of love while the restaurant's employee's are working for cash. Also, I love my mother and don't want to place any extra work on her shoulders if I can help it. I have thought of avoiding the meal, but that is skipping out on valuable family time on Sunday and being a wet blanket to boot. I have considered offering to make breakfast myself, but I am sure my mother would just feel obligated to cook instead then. I would like to hear debate on this.

--hide--

It's our family tradition that Sunday is a special day offered to God and family togetherness. So, on Sundays we go to church without even eating breakfast. Our breakfast is a spiritual one...the Word of God we hear during church mass plus the body and blood of Christ we received during communion. After the mass we go and eat at the restaurant, then go to either sightseeing, museum, movies, shopping, the beach or visit friends or relatives or go wherever as long as we have a family quality time. Then we go and dine out again for dinner. We get home and have family talk then pray together before going to bed. Sunday is kind of our day of rest of NOT doing any work at home, do our obligation to God and have a family fun time. Surely, other people will work for us when we go and dine out etc, but that's their freedom of choice, while our choice is not to work but to spend the day with God and family.

03/26/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: There have been Sundays when I would have loved to get my sewing machine out and sew or ironing board out...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: There have been Sundays when I would have loved to get my sewing machine out and sew or ironing board out and iron clothes...but I don't solely because I've been taught you don't sew on Sundays. Albeit, it's getting something accomplished, but it's enjoyable and relaxing...even therapeutic. Wonder what a priest would say?
--hide--
Because of diversity of beliefs, nearly everything continues 7 days a week. Stores are open, as are many other businesses. We're stuck in the culture of our time.

As far as sewing, Mary -- it seems to be one of your hobbies. It doesn't follow that there's a problem with the Sabbath versus a sewing hobby. As you mentioned, it's enjoyable and relaxing, and you are making something useful. It's a constructive use of your time. You can ask the Good Lord to bless your efforts. I'm sure most priests would tell you that sewing isn't violating the Sabbath unless you're allowing it to interfere with something of greater importance. The concept of the Sabbath is to allow for a day of rest. That doesn't translate into an all day nap on the couch unless you're doing heavy manual work during the week. Most people who work in offices spend a great deal of time sitting. It's beneficial for them to do something different to escape their routine, such as gardening, or tending to their flower gardens.

As Ed said, if it seems like work, he'll let it go; if it's relaxing and enjoyable, he'll go for it, as he spoke of his gardening.

Ideally it's a family oriented day but there are many who live alone with no family nearby, or even if they are close, they're involved in some other activity of their own.

03/26/2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Because of diversity of beliefs, nearly everything continues 7 days a week. Stores are open, as are...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Because of diversity of beliefs, nearly everything continues 7 days a week. Stores are open, as are many other businesses. We're stuck in the culture of our time.

As far as sewing, Mary -- it seems to be one of your hobbies. It doesn't follow that there's a problem with the Sabbath versus a sewing hobby. As you mentioned, it's enjoyable and relaxing, and you are making something useful. It's a constructive use of your time. You can ask the Good Lord to bless your efforts. I'm sure most priests would tell you that sewing isn't violating the Sabbath unless you're allowing it to interfere with something of greater importance. The concept of the Sabbath is to allow for a day of rest. That doesn't translate into an all day nap on the couch unless you're doing heavy manual work during the week. Most people who work in offices spend a great deal of time sitting. It's beneficial for them to do something different to escape their routine, such as gardening, or tending to their flower gardens.

As Ed said, if it seems like work, he'll let it go; if it's relaxing and enjoyable, he'll go for it, as he spoke of his gardening.

Ideally it's a family oriented day but there are many who live alone with no family nearby, or even if they are close, they're involved in some other activity of their own.

--hide--
I should add to the comment about what priests would say about this. I can't presume to speak for all priests, but those who have addressed the issue of the Sabbath would likely give their ok about sewing, judging by their comments and perspective.

03/27/2013 new

I can guarantee that you would never find me ironing my clothes on Sunday, except maybe a single shirt or pair of slacks to wear to Mass. There is absolutely nothing enjoyable that I could ever find in that chore. I think that I would almost rather go to the dentist. laughing

Ed

03/27/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: There have been Sundays when I would have loved to get my sewing machine out and sew or ironing board out...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: There have been Sundays when I would have loved to get my sewing machine out and sew or ironing board out and iron clothes...but I don't solely because I've been taught you don't sew on Sundays. Albeit, it's getting something accomplished, but it's enjoyable and relaxing...even therapeutic. Wonder what a priest would say?
--hide--

Read the encyclical "Dies Domini" The make up your own mind.

You can find it on the Vatican Web site and EWTN.

03/27/2013 new
(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Read the encyclical "Dies Domini" The make up your own mind. You can fi...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Read the encyclical "Dies Domini" The make up your own mind.

You can find it on the Vatican Web site and EWTN.

--hide--
I appreciate that. Thank you!
03/27/2013 new
(Quote) ED-20630 said: I can guarantee that you would never find me ironing my clothes on Sunday, except maybe a single shirt or pair of s...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I can guarantee that you would never find me ironing my clothes on Sunday, except maybe a single shirt or pair of slacks to wear to Mass. There is absolutely nothing enjoyable that I could ever find in that chore. I think that I would almost rather go to the dentist.

Ed

--hide--
Ironing clothes is one of the easiest domestic tasks. It's mindless and therapeutic.
03/27/2013 new
(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Because of diversity of beliefs, nearly everything continues 7 days a week. Stores are open, as are many other bu...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

--hide--
Yes, I understand and agree. I've had employment positions where I had to work every single Sunday at the hospital. But that's necessary.

My hesitation came in with the fact that I wasn't referencing sewing as a hobby, but to repair clothing, hem new slacks, etc. Yes, I find it relaxing and enjoyable (like gardening), but it's still unnecessary elective domestic work that can wait for another day....which is why I questioned myself.
03/27/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Yes, I understand and agree. I've had employment positions where I had to work every single Sunday at...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Yes, I understand and agree. I've had employment positions where I had to work every single Sunday at the hospital. But that's necessary.

My hesitation came in with the fact that I wasn't referencing sewing as a hobby, but to repair clothing, hem new slacks, etc. Yes, I find it relaxing and enjoyable (like gardening), but it's still unnecessary elective domestic work that can wait for another day....which is why I questioned myself.
--hide--
Mary -- you've added another dimension to your sewing. Actually a lot of things we do can wait for another day, but when that "other day" comes, do you need to do it in a rush? Are you pressed for time and running on adrenaline when that happens?

If you find it relaxing and therapeutic, and it takes you away from the everyday world, it can be a good way to spend your time. It is a change of pace from what you're doing during the week, and that's part of the purpose of the day of rest. Resting doesn't mean you aren't supposed to do anything but sit; rather, it's a day to turn away from the everyday world, to find something worthwhile and relaxing to do, and to honor our Creator. That's our primary focus -- our Creator. And what seems like "work" to some might be just what you need to refocus. You can meditate while engaged in some worthwhile activities, and that can bring honor to our God. Also, you probably don't want to or do sewing every Sunday; it's likely an occasional thing. And you probably don't spend all day at it either.

What would you be doing otherwise? Watching TV? Reading? Talking to friends? Ideally at least some time in addition to attending Mass would be spent in reflection, prayer, Bible reading or some type of spiritual reading, along with spending time with family and friends if possible. In general, if something helps bring you closer to your Creator, it's most likely worthwhile doing.

If your conscience bothers you about this, you would do well to have a chat with your pastor or parish priest to gather his thoughts. Whatever he comes up with should put you at ease with this issue. He might have a different perspective that will help you see this more clearly. In any event, I don't see this as much of a concern or problem, especially compared to how other people spend their Sundays. But ultimately you will have to decide for yourself, Yea or Nay.

Posts 11 - 20 of 42