Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: (Quote) Luke-955053 said: The way I see it, the injunction not to work ...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Quote:
Luke-955053 said:

The way I see it, the injunction not to work on Sundays if possible would logically include making other people work for you in unnecessary secular pursuits. Ok, so try to avoid shopping on Sundays. Inconvenient at times, but not impossible. Now being single, I usually go to Church with my parents on Sundays. They like to go out to eat after Church and so do I, but I don't think I really should (see above). I have expressed my thoughts on the subject and my mother says if they went home, she would have to cook and that is work for her. I would hope hers is a labor of love while the restaurant's employee's are working for cash. Also, I love my mother and don't want to place any extra work on her shoulders if I can help it. I have thought of avoiding the meal, but that is skipping out on valuable family time on Sunday and being a wet blanket to boot. I have considered offering to make breakfast myself, but I am sure my mother would just feel obligated to cook instead then. I would like to hear debate on this.

You know, Luke, this reminds me of the Jewish Sabbath, especially an orthodox one.

I have Orthodox friends who observe the Sabbath. They have the same conundrum that you are explaining. The
way they do it, by being observant to the Old Testament, is they cannot use anything mechanical. And they
cannot use the results of anyone who is doing anything mechanical. They can prepare meals like making a
sandwich, but they cannot heat it up.

They have to walk to the Synagogue. I said "Why don't you hop into a car being driven by someone else."
And they can't do that because the other person is doing the driving.

Then when it comes to cooking or turning on the lights, they leave the lights on before the Sabbath starts, and
they put their water kettle with the gas very low for cooking, so they have hot water to use. In Israel, they cannot push
the button to take the elevator, so on the Sabbath, the elevator stops at every floor without anyone touching
the buttons. I think they call this the Sabbath elevator.

I am not sure you would use these standards though. They are just a point of reference for you.

--hide--

Hi Marianne et alia,

I find myself wondering how they prepare those sandwiches.

James ☺

Mar 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: There have been Sundays when I would have loved to get my sewing machine out and sew or ironing board out...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: There have been Sundays when I would have loved to get my sewing machine out and sew or ironing board out and iron clothes...but I don't solely because I've been taught you don't sew on Sundays. Albeit, it's getting something accomplished, but it's enjoyable and relaxing...even therapeutic. Wonder what a priest would say?
--hide--

I thought that the command was to keep holy the Lord's day. Can't you do that by doing positive things like church
but not omit other things like work?

Mar 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: What if you went to a Jewish deli?
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

What if you went to a Jewish deli?

--hide--
laughing laughing laughing (good one bro!)

Mar 27th 2013 new
(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Mary-486033 said: Yes, I understand and agree. I've had employment positions where I ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Mary-486033 said: Yes, I understand and agree. I've had employment positions where I had to work every single Sunday at the hospital. But that's necessary.

My hesitation came in with the fact that I wasn't referencing sewing as a hobby, but to repair clothing, hem new slacks, etc. Yes, I find it relaxing and enjoyable (like gardening), but it's still unnecessary elective domestic work that can wait for another day....which is why I questioned myself.

Mary -- you've added another dimension to your sewing. Actually a lot of things we do can wait for another day, but when that "other day" comes, do you need to do it in a rush? Are you pressed for time and running on adrenaline when that happens?

If you find it relaxing and therapeutic, and it takes you away from the everyday world, it can be a good way to spend your time. It is a change of pace from what you're doing during the week, and that's part of the purpose of the day of rest. Resting doesn't mean you aren't supposed to do anything but sit; rather, it's a day to turn away from the everyday world, to find something worthwhile and relaxing to do, and to honor our Creator. That's our primary focus -- our Creator. And what seems like "work" to some might be just what you need to refocus. You can meditate while engaged in some worthwhile activities, and that can bring honor to our God. Also, you probably don't want to or do sewing every Sunday; it's likely an occasional thing. And you probably don't spend all day at it either.

--hide--
Yes, that pretty much summed it up. Thank you.
Mar 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: (Quote) ED-20630 said: If it feels like work to me, then I try to avoid it on ...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said:
Quote:
ED-20630 said:

If it feels like work to me, then I try to avoid it on Sunday. If it seems enjoyable, then I don't have a problem with it. Same with gardening (for instance). If it seems like a job and work, then I avoid it on Sunday. If it seems enjoyable or relaxing, then I don't have a problem with it.

Ed

There have been Sundays when I would have loved to get my sewing machine out and sew or ironing board out and iron clothes...but I don't solely because I've been taught you don't sew on Sundays. Albeit, it's getting something accomplished, but it's enjoyable and relaxing...even therapeutic. Wonder what a priest would say?
--hide--

If it is relaxing- you could do it.

Mar 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Mary-486033 said: Yes, I understand and agree. I've had employment posi...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Mary-486033 said: Yes, I understand and agree. I've had employment positions where I had to work every single Sunday at the hospital. But that's necessary.

My hesitation came in with the fact that I wasn't referencing sewing as a hobby, but to repair clothing, hem new slacks, etc. Yes, I find it relaxing and enjoyable (like gardening), but it's still unnecessary elective domestic work that can wait for another day....which is why I questioned myself.

Mary -- you've added another dimension to your sewing. Actually a lot of things we do can wait for another day, but when that "other day" comes, do you need to do it in a rush? Are you pressed for time and running on adrenaline when that happens?

If you find it relaxing and therapeutic, and it takes you away from the everyday world, it can be a good way to spend your time. It is a change of pace from what you're doing during the week, and that's part of the purpose of the day of rest. Resting doesn't mean you aren't supposed to do anything but sit; rather, it's a day to turn away from the everyday world, to find something worthwhile and relaxing to do, and to honor our Creator. That's our primary focus -- our Creator. And what seems like "work" to some might be just what you need to refocus. You can meditate while engaged in some worthwhile activities, and that can bring honor to our God. Also, you probably don't want to or do sewing every Sunday; it's likely an occasional thing. And you probably don't spend all day at it either.

What would you be doing otherwise? Watching TV? Reading? Talking to friends? Ideally at least some time in addition to attending Mass would be spent in reflection, prayer, Bible reading or some type of spiritual reading, along with spending time with family and friends if possible. In general, if something helps bring you closer to your Creator, it's most likely worthwhile doing.

If your conscience bothers you about this, you would do well to have a chat with your pastor or parish priest to gather his thoughts. Whatever he comes up with should put you at ease with this issue. He might have a different perspective that will help you see this more clearly. In any event, I don't see this as much of a concern or problem, especially compared to how other people spend their Sundays. But ultimately you will have to decide for yourself, Yea or Nay.

--hide--

A person could easily have their mind on God while sewing and it would be fine.

Mar 27th 2013 new
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I thought that the command was to keep holy the Lord's day. Can't you do that by doing posi...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I thought that the command was to keep holy the Lord's day. Can't you do that by doing positive things like church
but not omit other things like work?

--hide--
Are you are asking if we can still keep the Sabbath Holy...without omitting things like work?

If that is the question, we could go back to Creation for the answer. By God's design, he showed us to rest on the seventh day.
Mar 27th 2013 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: If it is relaxing- you could do it.
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

--hide--
Ok. Then I have a question for you. Would you feel guilty painting a room or cleaning out the garage on a Sunday? That could be relaxing, also. Or the only time you have to do it.
Mar 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Luke-955053 said: The way I see it, the injunction not to work on Sundays if possible would logically include making...
(Quote) Luke-955053 said:

The way I see it, the injunction not to work on Sundays if possible would logically include making other people work for you in unnecessary secular pursuits. Ok, so try to avoid shopping on Sundays. Inconvenient at times, but not impossible. Now being single, I usually go to Church with my parents on Sundays. They like to go out to eat after Church and so do I, but I don't think I really should (see above). I have expressed my thoughts on the subject and my mother says if they went home, she would have to cook and that is work for her. I would hope hers is a labor of love while the restaurant's employee's are working for cash. Also, I love my mother and don't want to place any extra work on her shoulders if I can help it. I have thought of avoiding the meal, but that is skipping out on valuable family time on Sunday and being a wet blanket to boot. I have considered offering to make breakfast myself, but I am sure my mother would just feel obligated to cook instead then. I would like to hear debate on this.

--hide--

When all is said and done, the precious time you will have been able to have on Sundays with your parents will outweigh any other percieved issue. After all, honoring your father and mother is what you would be doing by being with them and allowing mom a break from cooking. I would think that your doing what they enjoy would be good for all concerned.

Mar 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: If it is relaxing- you could do it.
(Quote) Mary-486033 said:
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Ok. Then I have a question for you. Would you feel guilty painting a room or cleaning out the garage on a Sunday? That could be relaxing, also. Or the only time you have to do it.
--hide--

I don't have things the same way others may have. I do what I can but I make it a point to rest on Sunday. Still I am not in the same situation as many other people and I do things when I can. I don't usually feel guilt. I think that overall laws and rule are menat to protect us in vrious ways. I adhere to the Spirit of the Law whenever possible. All of the answers to your two examples would depend on what I coudl do and when.

Posts 21 - 30 of 42