Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Luke-955053 said: The way I see it, the injunction not to work on Sundays if possible would logically include making...
(Quote) Luke-955053 said:

The way I see it, the injunction not to work on Sundays if possible would logically include making other people work for you in unnecessary secular pursuits. Ok, so try to avoid shopping on Sundays. Inconvenient at times, but not impossible. Now being single, I usually go to Church with my parents on Sundays. They like to go out to eat after Church and so do I, but I don't think I really should (see above). I have expressed my thoughts on the subject and my mother says if they went home, she would have to cook and that is work for her. I would hope hers is a labor of love while the restaurant's employee's are working for cash. Also, I love my mother and don't want to place any extra work on her shoulders if I can help it. I have thought of avoiding the meal, but that is skipping out on valuable family time on Sunday and being a wet blanket to boot. I have considered offering to make breakfast myself, but I am sure my mother would just feel obligated to cook instead then. I would like to hear debate on this.

--hide--

Hopefully you won't mind my being blunt enough to say that your mother deserves a day off from cooking. It is not up to you to decide that she should cook so others don't have to work nad that it should be out of love. I worry when I hear discussions like this and I wonder about scrupulosity. I am really happy a term for it exists. Charity is what is needed to answer this question. Legalism is something very hard to tolerate. So either you cook for them and insist or you go out. Done.

Mar 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I don't have things the same way others may have. I do what I can but I make it a point to rest on...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I don't have things the same way others may have. I do what I can but I make it a point to rest on Sunday. Still I am not in the same situation as many other people and I do things when I can. I don't usually feel guilt. I think that overall laws and rule are menat to protect us in vrious ways. I adhere to the Spirit of the Law whenever possible. All of the answers to your two examples would depend on what I coudl do and when.

--hide--
It's just nice to get some feedback from practicing Catholics.
Mar 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I don't have things the same way others may...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said:
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I don't have things the same way others may have. I do what I can but I make it a point to rest on Sunday. Still I am not in the same situation as many other people and I do things when I can. I don't usually feel guilt. I think that overall laws and rule are menat to protect us in vrious ways. I adhere to the Spirit of the Law whenever possible. All of the answers to your two examples would depend on what I coudl do and when.

It's just nice to get some feedback from practicing Catholics.
--hide--

I hope it helps and doesn't hurt anything.

Mar 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I hope it helps and doesn't hurt anything.

--hide--
I can't imagine it possibly hurting anything. It's just an exchange of helpful thoughts.

One can always ask their priest.
Mar 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I hope it helps and doesn't hurt anything.<...
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I can't imagine it possibly hurting anything. It's just an exchange of helpful thoughts.

One can always ask their priest.
--hide--

I said that because it is hard to tell anyones tone in some posts. I said it to make sure, that's all. I am sure God is well aware that most singles suffer to some extent every Sunday from the mere reality that we are single. That is something most people are not addressing here. I mean people have to cope with that and many suffer more on a Sunday than any other day.

Mar 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I said that because it is hard to tell anyones tone in some posts. I said it to make sure, that's a...

I said that because it is hard to tell anyones tone in some posts. I said it to make sure, that's all. I am sure God is well aware that most singles suffer to some extent every Sunday from the mere reality that we are single. That is something most people are not addressing here. I mean people have to cope with that and many suffer more on a Sunday than any other day.

--hide--
Well, my thoughts were purely focused on what did/did not constitute the definition of "rest" in order to "Keep the Sabbath Holy" (i.e. not participating in unnecessary work).

Just trying to be a better Catholic...be it single or coupled.
Mar 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I said that because it is hard to tell anyones ...
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Well, my thoughts were purely focused on what did/did not constitute the definition of "rest" in order to "Keep the Sabbath Holy" (i.e. not participating in unnecessary work).

Just trying to be a better Catholic...be it single or coupled.
--hide--

I think rest is something only you can define. If you decided to entertain persons through cooking an elaborate meal and you loved doing it, wouldn't it be rest? If these people were blessed by your work, would it be OK? I think each person has to define what constitutes rest. And congruent with what I mentioned in an earlier thread, If I still had my Dad around, I woudl spend it with him. It is family time that I miss most.

Mar 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I think rest is something only you can define.

I think rest is something only you can define.

--hide--

I think this is true, and that's probably why the third commandment is so confusing (to me anyway). Sunday is supposed to be a joyful day, and if I can't do this and can't do that, I feel like I'm grounded on Sunday. Just sitting there waiting for Monday. That doesn't make sense either. But then anything I would consider doing could be viewed as work.

I've read and heard various opinions on this (all from priests). I've heard one priest say that intellectual work like teaching is ok on Sunday - like it's ok to do lesson plans on Sunday. He is a very conservative, traditional priest, so I was surprised to hear this from him. Doesn't make sense to me - most of us these days are in intellectual jobs - so that's like saying that most of us can go in to the office on Sunday.

Then I heard that you are supposed to rest from the job you do for a living. Other tasks were ok. Gardening was said to be ok, light cleaning ok also. An FSSP priest told me this, so I'm guessing he is no modernist either.

Then I've read in traditional forums that the limit for housework on Sunday is 2 hours.... Now that I like because at least it's an objective amount of time.

Go figure. scratchchin

Mar 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I think this is true, and that's probably why the third commandment is so confusing (to me anyw...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I think this is true, and that's probably why the third commandment is so confusing (to me anyway). Sunday is supposed to be a joyful day, and if I can't do this and can't do that, I feel like I'm grounded on Sunday. Just sitting there waiting for Monday. That doesn't make sense either.

--hide--

Perhaps the problem is that you are focusing too much on the temporal and not enough on the eternal...

Mar 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Perhaps the problem is that you are focusing too much on the temporal and not enough on the eterna...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Perhaps the problem is that you are focusing too much on the temporal and not enough on the eternal...

--hide--

What do you mean? That Sunday should be focused more on spiritual activities? Mass is only 1 hour out of the day, and I suppose one could spend another hour reading a spiritual book or something, but you've got to fill the rest of the day somehow... And technically, one can glorify God with their work, especially if the work is to care for your family.

Posts 31 - 40 of 42