Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

At the Starbucks annual shareholders meeting on Wednesday, CEO Howard Schultz sent a clear message to anyone who supports traditional marriage over gay marriage: we don't want your business. After saying Starbucks wants to "embrace diversity of all kinds," he told a shareholder who supports traditional marriage that he should sell his shares and invest in some other company.

According to a report by Forbes, Schultz seemed a bit intolerant of any Starbucks shareholders who opposed gay marriage for moral or religious reasons. During the meeting, shareholder Tom Strobhar (who founded the Corporate Morality Action Center) pointed out that after the company voiced its support for a referendum backing gay marriage in Washington state, a boycott by traditional marriage supporters caused a drop in sales revenue. Schultz told him "You can sell your shares in Starbucks and buy shares in another company" if he did not agree with the company's pro-gay marriage stand.

www.examiner.com

Mar 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: At the Starbucks annual shareholders meeting on Wednesday, CEO Howard Schultz sent a clea...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

At the Starbucks annual shareholders meeting on Wednesday, CEO Howard Schultz sent a clear message to anyone who supports traditional marriageover gay marriage: we don't want your business. After saying Starbucks wants to "embrace diversity of all kinds," he told a shareholder who supports traditional marriage that he should sell his shares and invest in some other company.

According to a report by Forbes, Schultz seemed a bit intolerant of any Starbucks shareholders who opposed gay marriage for moral or religious reasons. During the meeting, shareholder Tom Strobhar (who founded the Corporate Morality Action Center) pointed out that after the company voiced its support for a referendum backing gay marriage in Washington state, a boycott by traditional marriage supporters caused a drop in sales revenue. Schultz told him "You can sell your shares in Starbucks and buy shares in another company" if he did not agree with the company's pro-gay marriage stand.

www.examiner.com

--hide--

However, Chick Fil A does, Jerry. And that's OK with me since I love Chick Fil A and am not really a coffee fan anway...

Mar 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: At the Starbucks annual shareholders meeting on Wednesday, CEO Howard Schultz sent a clear...

At the Starbucks annual shareholders meeting on Wednesday, CEO Howard Schultz sent a clear message to anyone who supports traditional marriage over gay marriage: we don't want your business. After saying Starbucks wants to "embrace diversity of all kinds," he told a shareholder who supports traditional marriage that he should sell his shares and invest in some other company.

www.examiner.com

--hide--
Thanks Jerry, I stopped buying their overpriced bitter tasting swill a long time ago. This is one more good reason to avoid them. McDonald's coffee is better, cheaper, and they also have WiFi.

Mar 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Thanks Jerry, I stopped buying their overpriced bitter tasting swill a long time ago. This is one...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Thanks Jerry, I stopped buying their overpriced bitter tasting swill a long time ago. This is one more good reason to avoid them. McDonald's coffee is better, cheaper, and they also have WiFi.

--hide--
They have WiFi? Maybe someday you'll find they have a WiFe for you, too, Peter.....

Mar 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: At the Starbucks annual shareholders meeting on Wednesday, CEO Howard Schultz sent a clear...

www.examiner.com

--hide--
Thanks for the latest about Starbucks, Jerry. This has been the subject of a previous topic, but when there is new news, it doesn't hurt to bring it to the forefront again.

Starbucks claims they support equality for their employes. They don't respond when you ask them why their employes therefore don't earn as much as the CEO.

Sadly, this is but one of the huge chains across the country that is taking this stand. We can't boycott or avoid all of them, but we can stay away as much as possible. In the end, they are concerned about their "bottom line". That's our easiest way to get our message across to them.

Mar 25th 2013 new

I guess my Gold Card will be revoked. That's a shame.

Mar 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: I guess my Gold Card will be revoked. That's a shame.
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

I guess my Gold Card will be revoked. That's a shame.

--hide--

Cut it up and mail it back to them....

Mar 25th 2013 new

But it's so pretty...

I also have a collection of their ornaments and had just bought the gold cup ornament for this past Christmas. This makes me sad. There are baristas there whom I've been seeing for YEARS, some even back to my college years.

Side question - if you worked there, what would you do if you couldn't find a new job? Quit? Write to the CEO? I'm curious.

Mar 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: They have WiFi? Maybe someday you'll find they have a WiFe for you, too, Peter.....
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

They have WiFi? Maybe someday you'll find they have a WiFe for you, too, Peter.....

--hide--
I'm working on that, as we speak. Or is it type?

Mar 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: But it's so pretty... I also have a collection of their ornaments and had just boug...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

But it's so pretty...

I also have a collection of their ornaments and had just bought the gold cup ornament for this past Christmas. This makes me sad. There are baristas there whom I've been seeing for YEARS, some even back to my college years.

Side question - if you worked there, what would you do if you couldn't find a new job? Quit? Write to the CEO? I'm curious.

--hide--

For the workers in the stores, who have no say in corporate policy or its implementation, their employment would be considered remote cooperation, and thus would be morally permissible if they could not find suitable alternate employment. For supervisors, managers, store owners, etc., it could be a bit more dicey, depending on how actively they are required to participate in imposing immoral standards on others. Pray for them!

Posts 1 - 10 of 69