Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mar 25th 2013 new
(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Thanks Jerry, I stopped buying their overpriced bitter tasting swill a long time ago. This is one more good rea...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Thanks Jerry, I stopped buying their overpriced bitter tasting swill a long time ago. This is one more good reason to avoid them. McDonald's coffee is better, cheaper, and they also have WiFi.

--hide--
Totally agree. Never understood how Starbucks became prosperous in the first place. Their coffee is way too bitter.

Always preferred McDonald's coffee.

Coffee A perfect opportunity to remind everyone that McDonald's provides lodging and meals for families of out-of-town pediatric hospital patients. A fantastic charity!!! www.rmhc.com
Mar 25th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I've always thought that it would be interesting, and perhaps productive, to place some sort of C...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I've always thought that it would be interesting, and perhaps productive, to place some sort of Catholic pamphlet on a table or bulletin board every time on the way in or out of the store. Employees couldn't do this, but patrons could.

Ed

--hide--

Double-dog dare you, Ed!

Mar 26th 2013 new

I tried to "dump Starbucks" when that campaign first started about a year ago, but failed miserably. ashamed I have gone there less often though, because every time I'm tempted to make that turn toward Starburcks, I remember that it's not the kind of company I want to support. I agree that McDonald's has pretty good coffee, now if they could just perfect that soy chai latte, I would be all set!

Mar 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: At the Starbucks annual shareholders meeting on Wednesday, CEO Howard Schultz sent a clear...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

At the Starbucks annual shareholders meeting on Wednesday, CEO Howard Schultz sent a clear message to anyone who supports traditional marriage over gay marriage: we don't want your business. After saying Starbucks wants to "embrace diversity of all kinds," he told a shareholder who supports traditional marriage that he should sell his shares and invest in some other company.

According to a report by Forbes, Schultz seemed a bit intolerant of any Starbucks shareholders who opposed gay marriage for moral or religious reasons. During the meeting, shareholder Tom Strobhar (who founded the Corporate Morality Action Center) pointed out that after the company voiced its support for a referendum backing gay marriage in Washington state, a boycott by traditional marriage supporters caused a drop in sales revenue. Schultz told him "You can sell your shares in Starbucks and buy shares in another company" if he did not agree with the company's pro-gay marriage stand.

www.examiner.com

--hide--

That's fine with me. There was a time where I used to be hooked on Starbucks. But ever since they claim they support gay-marriage, I stopped going. They lost my business. Dunkin Donuts' coffee tastes better. Coffee

Mar 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: But it's so pretty... I also have a collection of their ornaments and had just boug...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

But it's so pretty...

I also have a collection of their ornaments and had just bought the gold cup ornament for this past Christmas. This makes me sad. There are baristas there whom I've been seeing for YEARS, some even back to my college years.

Side question - if you worked there, what would you do if you couldn't find a new job? Quit? Write to the CEO? I'm curious.

--hide--
Unless a person has sufficient financial resources to fall back on, outright quitting would probably not be a viable option. Looking for a new job would be an appropriate solution, but perhaps difficult depending upon job availability in a particular area. Writing to the CEO? A good step, especially coming from one of their own. There could be reprisals because of not conforming with company policy. In states that allow same-sex unions, the people must still be treated with their God-given rights as human beings.

It's highly unlikely that the person had any say in the decision in the making of that policy. It seems to be akin to the "Render to Caesar" passage. What that person is doing isn't directly supporting immorality or condoning it personally. At worst, there is forced tolerance. Because that employe has no direct say in the matter, it likely isn't a moral issue for that individual.

We certainly encounter people almost on a daily basis whose lifestyles conflict with Catholic moral standards. The reality is that we don't know about their personal lives, so we deal with them and accept them as they appear to be. In today's society and the diversity of opinions, it's nearly impossible not to deal with someone who doesn't meet our standards. Not being perfect ourselves, we would be setting ourselves up as judges. If we can exert some influence, we should take the opportunity to do so, but in a Christian way that will still maintain the dignity of another. If we have the opportunity, we can let it be known that their lifestyle is morally offensive, but sill be able to deal with that person on a business basis. Sometimes it's a tricky balance -- we can't come across as self-righteous fanatics, but we can express our views when appropriate.

This is my own take on the matter, and I'm sure other opinions may differ. It's up to us to set an example, which is frequently more effective than words. We can't crawl into each person's mind, nor can we necessarily change it. By setting the example and showing we are happy with our choice, it might spark more thought by others.

Mar 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Totally agree. Never understood how Starbucks became prosperous in the first place. Their coffee is way t...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Totally agree. Never understood how Starbucks became prosperous in the first place. Their coffee is way too bitter.

A perfect opportunity to remind everyone that McDonald's provides lodging and meals for families of out-of-town pediatric hospital patients. A fantastic charity!!! www.rmhc.com
--hide--
Good advertising, Mary -- very effective. It left people with the opinion that Starbucks had something different to offer and was the "in" place to go. They did a good job of promoting their brand and trying to make the word Starbucks synonymous with coffee. Their layout is a bit different, at least in most locations as far as I know. There are typically areas to sit back in easy chairs, relax, read -- all without having someone come around frequently asking if there's anything else the customer wants. Simple idea, but novel in its application.

Mar 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Thanks Jerry, I stopped buying their overpriced bitter tasting swill a long time ago. This is one...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Thanks Jerry, I stopped buying their overpriced bitter tasting swill a long time ago. This is one more good reason to avoid them. McDonald's coffee is better, cheaper, and they also have WiFi.

--hide--

While their food (with the exception of their oatmeal which is the only thing I eat from McDonalds) ranks as bad as Starbucks coffee, I agree McDonald's coffee is some of the best ready made coffee you can buy. I tried some of Starbucks food and found it to be louzy, so I quit going there along time ago. I refuse to punish myself by supporting their business. In Kokomo their is a place called Dad's Deli/ Coffee Junkies and I believe they have WiFi. My favorite brand of coffee is Folgers. I particularly like their Black Silk.

Mar 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Totally agree. Never understood how Starbucks became prosperous in the first place. Their coffee is way t...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Totally agree. Never understood how Starbucks became prosperous in the first place. Their coffee is way too bitter.

A perfect opportunity to remind everyone that McDonald's provides lodging and meals for families of out-of-town pediatric hospital patients. A fantastic charity!!! www.rmhc.com
--hide--

You can dump your spare change at the drive up windows which goes to those houses too.

Mar 26th 2013 new
I like the Turkish coffee i got used to it in my country Starbuck's is so close to it. But now what's wrong with homemade coffee wink I don't want a business with who rejected my business rolling eyes scratchchin shocked

I will miss their blueberry scones though scratchchin scratchchin scratchchin hmmmmm no problem laughing laughing laughing
Mar 26th 2013 new
Thanks for letting me know Jerry. I'll starting going exclusively to the Caribou across the street--they have an awesome tasting Mahogony dark roast. Coffee
Posts 31 - 40 of 69