Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Eucharist in the hands

Mar 25th 2013 new
This morning, I had a sister, the pastoral coordinator in my parish, approached me after mass. We had this conversation.

Her- Are you EME

Me- Yes

Her- How you give to people Eucharist with your hands and you take it on your tongue?

- For the hygiene, it is better in the hand, because when giving the Eucharist on the tongue fingers may touch the saliva and that's how diseases could be transmitted.

- By taking the Eucharist on the tongue you are saying my hands are not holy enough to carry it and this is against Jesus teaching.

- Early church they use to have it in hands.

Me- I was raised this way and since I see confusion inside the church so I decided to stick to the way the Vatican gives the Eucharist, and they never give it in hands.

Her- Here in USA this is the way we do it

Me- Why then the Holy See didn't agree with it

Her- Don't believe what you read on the internet.

Me- What I read was a Vatican document.

Her- Bring it to me because I have in my office documents that support my point.

Me- I will bring the documents, but at least the parish needs to be on the same page because at the Arabic mass the priest do not give the Eucharist in hands (even if someone approach with open hands, he insists to put it on the tongue.)

I don't know now what is going to happen but she didn't like what I said and she wanted to talk to the Arabic priest.

Any thoughts?
Mar 25th 2013 new
Gabor if you are reading here, you said in a different thread www.catholicmatch.com

I am not sure that any Pope has been a big supporter of Communion in the Hand. Please read the link below:

catholicvox.blogspot.com.au

In point 3) it is correctly stated that "Communion in the hand spread through disobedience to the Pope" and use of EMS flowed on soon after Communion in the Hand was illicitly introduced as a historical sequence of events which are factual.

Perhaps you should read more and make an informed decision about whether you are being loyal to the Holy Father as you believe you presently are?

The link below is staight from the Vatican itself:

http://www.vatican.va

Is Catholic Vox a reliable ressource

While surfing the internet i found this document www.ewtn.com

Any thoughts?
Mar 25th 2013 new

I am an Eucharist minister and I like to repect the persons more than wondering which way they are recieving my Lord. I know it is a personal choice and I think we focus on the situation instead of keeping the focus on Jesus!

Mar 25th 2013 new

I recommend the book "Dominus Est" by Bishop Athansius Schneider on this topic. Or if you don't have the funds watch this clip via EWTN; www.youtube.com

Mar 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernadette-363720 said: I am an Eucharist minister and I like to repect the persons more than wondering which way th...
(Quote) Bernadette-363720 said:

I am an Eucharist minister and I like to repect the persons more than wondering which way they are recieving my Lord. I know it is a personal choice and I think we focus on the situation instead of keeping the focus on Jesus!

--hide--

A note on terminology:

The only (ordinary) Eucharistic ministers are bishops, priests, and deacon; the laity are Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. While this may seem like semantic nitpicking, omitting the one word blurs the distinction between the proper roles of the clergy and non-clergy.

I strongly recommend that all EMHCs read the instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum, with special attention given to chapter VII (Extraordinary Functions of the Lay Faithful), more specifically, paragraphs 154-160.

www.vatican.va

Mar 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Therese-668052 said: This morning, I had a sister, the pastoral coordinator in my parish, approached me after mass. We had ...
(Quote) Therese-668052 said: This morning, I had a sister, the pastoral coordinator in my parish, approached me after mass. We had this conversation.

Her- Are you EME

Me- Yes

Her- How you give to people Eucharist with your hands and you take it on your tongue?

- For the hygiene, it is better in the hand, because when giving the Eucharist on the tongue fingers may touch the saliva and that's how diseases could be transmitted.

- By taking the Eucharist on the tongue you are saying my hands are not holy enough to carry it and this is against Jesus teaching.

- Early church they use to have it in hands.

Me- I was raised this way and since I see confusion inside the church so I decided to stick to the way the Vatican gives the Eucharist, and they never give it in hands.

Her- Here in USA this is the way we do it

Me- Why then the Holy See didn't agree with it

Her- Don't believe what you read on the internet.

Me- What I read was a Vatican document.

Her- Bring it to me because I have in my office documents that support my point.

Me- I will bring the documents, but at least the parish needs to be on the same page because at the Arabic mass the priest do not give the Eucharist in hands (even if someone approach with open hands, he insists to put it on the tongue.)

I don't know now what is going to happen but she didn't like what I said and she wanted to talk to the Arabic priest.

Any thoughts?
--hide--
Since the electrons of the Eucharist and the electrons of the hand repel each other, the Eucharist and the hand actually never meet. The same goes for the tounge and the Eucharist. So in the light of modern physics it shouldn't matter where it is placed. Food for thought. scratchchin

Mar 27th 2013 new

Please excuse my brain fart in my previous post. When I wrote Eucharist I was of course meaning hostia. My bad! So the hostia actually never touches neither the hands or the tongue.

Mar 27th 2013 new

What is 'hostia'?

Mar 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: What is 'hostia'?
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

What is 'hostia'?

--hide--
It's Latin for the bread.

Mar 27th 2013 new
Thank you, Peter!
Posts 1 - 10 of 19