Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: Try this...A baby is born. It is quite easy to identify the mother of the baby, but it is no...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

Try this...

A baby is born. It is quite easy to identify the mother of the baby, but it is not always so easy to identify the father of the baby. That is what marriage is for, to allow society to identify the father of the child and hold him responsible for the care of the child until the child can care for him/her self. Note that this is done for the good of the child, the mother and society in general. The child because nature dictates that it takes both a man and a woman to conceive a child and thus the child fairs best when he/she is raised by both a mother and a father. The mother because it is unjust for a man to participate in the pro-creation of a child and then leave it to the mother to raise the child by herself and society in general since at some point society must deal with the consequences of fatherless/parentless children.

--hide--

Dan, this is an extremely concise and coherent statement on this whole topic. It shows how even before Christianity these principles were in play and in effect in ALL societies. Anything else other that a traditional marriage is un-natural and will lead to the society's destruction, ultimately, even if it takes some time. But, I think it may not take all that long!

Well put!

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-112790 said: Gay marriage is going to be legalized...sorry to say.-The huge problem here is that it will go way beyond ...
(Quote) Tom-112790 said: Gay marriage is going to be legalized...sorry to say.-The huge problem here is that it will go way beyond the 'memebers of the same sex who love eachother' thing. Once fully legalized--it will force its way into the public schools and have to be taught as something normal.It will be included in sex ed...--and as someone mentioned early in the thread---it will intrude on religious institutions and harm charities etc.
--hide--

Yip, it'll be time to seperate the sheep from the goats, time for those who are christian in name only to offer insense to the pagan deities and for those Christians with guts to stand up and take whatever ramifications come from speaking out.

Those unfriendings on FB can be really ouchy. Heh.

Apr 1st 2013 new

I am very saddened by the most recent state legislatures legalizing gay marriage, but even more saddened by "friends" that have been led astray. Old friends that would never have even considered following the status quo 30 years ago are now rallying for "equality" through gay marriage. It literally breaks my heart to see them support gay couples "marrying" in the name of God. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, the HOLY FAMILY, pray for us.

Apr 1st 2013 new

I believe that this essay does a good job of characterizing the true nature of homosexuality...

www.firstthings.com

A quote, not necessarily on topic, but certainly accurate...

"After recognizing that it is a common thing to hate what one does not understand, but also—especially in our secularizing world—an increasingly common practice to willfully resist understanding what one has decided to hate.."

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: I would like some help with explaining the Catholic stance that would be easily understood, a qu...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

I would like some help with explaining the Catholic stance that would be easily understood, a quick enough read most would read it, but with enough substance to not be so easily dismissed.

--hide--

I just watched a 4 minute video by Chris Stefanick answering the common question Catholics hear: "Why does the Church discriminate against gay people?". He's mostly good at explaining Church positions to younger people, but I think folks of all ages can learn from a dynamic speaker. :)

Check it out here ---> www.youtube.com

Apr 4th 2013 new

"If the Church’s mission is to save as many souls as possible, make saints out of folks, and bring as many of us to Heaven as she can, then it’s obvious that she isn’t going to condone, or support, behaviors that will guarantee that souls are eternally put to death. Capice?

That would make absolutely no sense. It would be like your mother telling you to go outside and play on the highway, or get you drunk and then hand you the car keys with a peck on the check and a “go have fun” whispered in your ear."

www.patheos.com

Apr 4th 2013 new
(Quote) John-220051 said: But what dialect of Greek do you refer to? The Greek used by scholars of classical Greek such as Attic or D...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

But what dialect of Greek do you refer to? The Greek used by scholars of classical Greek such as Attic or Doric doesn't always correspond with the meaning of the Koine dialect that the Bible is written in.

Think the meaning of "gay" in 1940 vs. today to see my point.

A lot of pro-homosexual apologists make the mistake of trying to apply definitions that were common in Athens of the 4th century and apply it to the Koine of the 1st century.

I did some private studies a few years back into the issue by examining John Boswell's theses and comparing them with the LSJ and Koine.

Even comparing the Greek of the Septuagint with that of the New Testament can be difficult because the latter was written 300 years later. Languages evolve.
--hide--

It is unfortunate that "gay" has been hijacked to mean "homosexual". I do not know how. Some of my favorite Christmas carols use the word "gay" to mean "jolly" or similar things.
Apr 4th 2013 new
"Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the father of lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

Pope Francis

http://www.patheos.com
Apr 4th 2013 new

First of all I am a progressive Catholic. I believe in love. I believe that people should have a right to love whomever they want to. Gay or not. It is not my place to tell people how to live their life.

Apr 4th 2013 new
(Quote) Tom-112790 said: Gay marriage is going to be legalized...sorry to say.-The huge problem here is that it will go way beyond the 'm...
(Quote) Tom-112790 said: Gay marriage is going to be legalized...sorry to say.-The huge problem here is that it will go way beyond the 'memebers of the same sex who love eachother' thing. Once fully legalized--it will force its way into the public schools and have to be taught as something normal.It will be included in sex ed...--and as someone mentioned early in the thread---it will intrude on religious institutions and harm charities etc.
--hide--
Hopefully, parents will remove their children from any school which indoctrinates them with such perversions...and homeschool them.

Two great Catholic homeschooling programs/organizations:

www.olrs.com

www.setonhome.org
Posts 41 - 50 of 158