Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Apr 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Ana-392290 said: First of all I am a progressive Catholic. I believe in love. I believe that people should have a ri...
(Quote) Ana-392290 said:

First of all I am a progressive Catholic. I believe in love. I believe that people should have a right to love whomever they want to. Gay or not. It is not my place to tell people how to live their life.

--hide--

Can you define love? Homosexual or not?

Apr 4th 2013 new

You are right. It is not YOUR place, but it certainly is GOD'S place to tell us how to live and He has done exactly that and, without exception, God's word on homosexual activity is that it is always wrong. No further discussion or justification holds water. It is actually terribly unkind to allow people to believe in falsehoods that can cripple their hope for eternal salvation. Also, the Catholic Church is one, nonsegmented entity and there is no such thing as a progressive Catholic, only Catholics who have left the faith and are participating, sometimes unwittingly, in apostacy. Learn your catechism...please, for the sake of your eternal soul. It is impossible to justify any decision that allows people to practice outside the doctrines of the holy Catholic Church...this is the very definition of apostasy and the source of so many sad schisms. I don't think God ever intended for us to apply human rationalizations in an effort to change His teachings and laws to make them more comfortable and politically correct within a misguided society's sinful practices.

Apr 4th 2013 new

Yo!

Apr 4th 2013 new
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: I have many friends who are on facebook who are in favor of gay marriage. I would like some help with explain...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

I have many friends who are on facebook who are in favor of gay marriage. I would like some help with explaining the Catholic stance that would be easily understood, a quick enough read most would read it, but with enough substance to not be so easily dismissed. I'd love your help. Every time I try to write it out, it gets too long and not kind-yet-firm. Please help!

--hide--

Try this:

Marriage has two essential aspects: procreation and union. So-called "gay marriage" lacks both. It cannot procreate. "Union" is biologically impossible. There can never be such a thing as "gay marriage" as it is a contradiction in terms.

If we truly care for the homosexual person, then let us offer them truth in love. Outside of real marriage, we are all called to purity and celibacy. True love and happiness is not found by a focus on our sexual jollies and personal cravings, but through service to others.

Gay marriage also means two homosexual men can adopt children, promoting the idea that Mothers (women) serve no real or essential role in the raising of children. Do you honestly believe that? The presumption of the law should always lean towards giving the child (our future) the best possible parenting situation, i.e., a loving mother and father.
Apr 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: I have many friends who are on facebook who are in favor of gay marriage. I would like some help...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

I have many friends who are on facebook who are in favor of gay marriage. I would like some help with explaining the Catholic stance that would be easily understood, a quick enough read most would read it, but with enough substance to not be so easily dismissed. I'd love your help. Every time I try to write it out, it gets too long and not kind-yet-firm. Please help!

--hide--

With all the "marriage equality" talk that has been going on lately, there is an example that I've used that leaves some people at least thinking about the whole "anyone-who-loves-anyone-else-should-be-able-to-get-married" logic. Say my brother, who I love dearly, and I both make it to our mid to late 70s (God willing). We've been best friends since birth. We are both widowed and decide to live together to ensure that we are taking care of one another as we age. We want to ensure we can make medical decisions, if needed, for one another, want to confer property rights as needed, etc (all the other legal excuse reasons throw out for civil unions not being enough). Since we love each other, can we get married?

Of course familial marriage talk makes people cringe and gets them thinking and hopefully reconsidering their stance.

Apr 4th 2013 new

Right on, Jack! And, welcome to the forums!

Apr 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Susan-635047 said: You are right. It is not YOUR place, but it certainly is GOD'S place to tell us how to live a...
(Quote) Susan-635047 said:

You are right. It is not YOUR place, but it certainly is GOD'S place to tell us how to live and He has done exactly that and, without exception, God's word on homosexual activity is that it is always wrong. No further discussion or justification holds water. It is actually terribly unkind to allow people to believe in falsehoods that can cripple their hope for eternal salvation. Also, the Catholic Church is one, nonsegmented entity and there is no such thing as a progressive Catholic, only Catholics who have left the faith and are participating, sometimes unwittingly, in apostacy. Learn your catechism...please, for the sake of your eternal soul. It is impossible to justify any decision that allows people to practice outside the doctrines of the holy Catholic Church...this is the very definition of apostasy and the source of so many sad schisms. I don't think God ever intended for us to apply human rationalizations in an effort to change His teachings and laws to make them more comfortable and politically correct within a misguided society's sinful practices.

--hide--

Susan- I thought this was an excellent response.

Apr 4th 2013 new

Rachel,

I think what you are doing is commendable. You asked for a succinct defense of the Catholic stance against same sex marriage. Here's my thought: Homosexuality is disordered and a violation of natural law. If all of the people on the earth were homosexual humanity would die out in one generation.

Apr 4th 2013 new
(Quote) John-220051 said: I think their actions show that their real goal is to use the privileges afforded by marriage to enlist the police ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: I think their actions show that their real goal is to use the privileges afforded by marriage to enlist the police powers of the state to compel acceptance of their homosexuality.
--hide--

absolutely
Apr 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Ana-392290 said: First of all I am a progressive Catholic. I believe in love. I believe that people should have a ri...
(Quote) Ana-392290 said:

First of all I am a progressive Catholic. I believe in love. I believe that people should have a right to love whomever they want to. Gay or not. It is not my place to tell people how to live their life.

--hide--

I agree with you, Ana. People should have the right to love whomever they want to. But you can love a person without having sex with them.

Posts 51 - 60 of 158