Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Apr 4th 2013 new
(Quote) Ana-392290 said: First of all I am a progressive Catholic. I believe in love. I believe that people should have a right to love wh...
(Quote) Ana-392290 said:

First of all I am a progressive Catholic. I believe in love. I believe that people should have a right to love whomever they want to. Gay or not. It is not my place to tell people how to live their life.

--hide--

Welcome to the forums.

Love is Good. But love is not sexual jollies at the expense of another person, even if that other person is willing. True Love is selflessly wanting the Best for another. Without getting into a long discussion about the nature of the "Best", it should be plainly obvious that the "Best" is not sexual self-gratification (gay or otherwise) because it involves both selfishness and a relationship that is not oriented to the benefit of the other person, children, or society. There is no "Best" to be found there. Regardless of how you want to characterize a homosexual coupling, it is plainly not about "love" because it cannot be freed of its selfish aspects.

The theme of "love" is used by gay activists to confuse people precisely because so many do not understand true love. A result of Hollywood/media overload, I suspect.

Regarding you last sentence, you are called to make such judgments every day. You see a man beating a woman. Do you turn away? Do you say "The woman could leave if she wanted, but who am I to tell her how to live her life?" You see someone preparing to leap off the Golden Gate. Do you say "Whatever. It is not my place to tell people how to live their life" and walk away? Laws are on the books for the purpose of circumscribing behavior and ordering society. For example, brothers and sisters cannot/should not have conjugal relations. Same for parent/child and first cousins. Those laws are there for a purpose. They should not be overturned because of a false notion of "love".

Look at the flip side. By supporting "gay marriage" you are doing precisely what you are claiming you want to avoid. You are telling others they MUST support it. Taxpayers MUST underwrite it. Children MUST live under it. You are telling those that see it as an abomination that they MUST accept it. Freedom of Religion is gone. Freedom of Conscience is gone. That is not progressive, but regressive.
Apr 4th 2013 new
(Quote) Ana-392290 said: First of all I am a progressive Catholic. I believe in love. I believe that people should have a right to love wh...
(Quote) Ana-392290 said:

First of all I am a progressive Catholic. I believe in love. I believe that people should have a right to love whomever they want to. Gay or not. It is not my place to tell people how to live their life.

--hide--

Ana..

People do have the right to make their own decisions.-I only ask that you keep praying about this issue--and that you allow the Holy Spirit to guide what you believe to be right or wrong.

I agree that it is not our place to tell people how to live their lives or to force our beliefs down their throats.

My main issue with the gay marriage is that the gay lobby forces their issues on a society that in general has never considered this marriage...and that for many of them it is not about 2 people who love eachother having a marriage certificate...-but its about forcing general society to teach that this is a normal accepted way of life--and to use the legal system to bully society into accepting a societal change. Soon teachers/school districts may be forced to revise textbooks for young children;forcing teachers to tell 5,6,7 year olds that this 'alternative' lifestyle is normal.

Again its not about about 2 people of the same sex who love eachother. Its an agenda.
Apr 5th 2013 new

not short, but an important read!

www.catholicnewsagency.com

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-13836 said: Rachel, I think what you are doing is commendable. You asked for a succinct defense of th...
(Quote) Jim-13836 said:

Rachel,

I think what you are doing is commendable. You asked for a succinct defense of the Catholic stance against same sex marriage. Here's my thought: Homosexuality is disordered and a violation of natural law. If all of the people on the earth were homosexual humanity would die out in one generation.

--hide--
Pray tell me which natural law is violated?

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-13836 said: Rachel, I think what you are doing is commendable. You asked for a succinct defense of th...
(Quote) Jim-13836 said:

Rachel,

I think what you are doing is commendable. You asked for a succinct defense of the Catholic stance against same sex marriage. Here's my thought: Homosexuality is disordered and a violation of natural law. If all of the people on the earth were homosexual humanity would die out in one generation.

--hide--
I forgot, how do you define "natural law"?

Apr 5th 2013 new

Why did God destoy Sodom? Because of the homosexuality among other things going on there. That's where we got the term sodomy from as most of us know.

If someone has actual sexual attractions to the same sex then that's just their cross they need to bear by not acting it out in thoughts or in actions. It's a simple as that. Take up your cross without complaints and follow Jesus. That's all a homosexual person needs to know about the subject. Jesus never said life and the crosses we bear were going to be easy to carry.

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Frank-410833 said: Why did God destoy Sodom? Because of the homosexuality among other things going on there. That...
(Quote) Frank-410833 said:

Why did God destoy Sodom? Because of the homosexuality among other things going on there. That's where we got the term sodomy from as most of us know.

If someone has actual sexual attractions to the same sex then that's just their cross they need to bear by not acting it out in thoughts or in actions. It's a simple as that. Take up your cross without complaints and follow Jesus. That's all a homosexual person needs to know about the subject. Jesus never said life and the crosses we bear were going to be easy to carry.

--hide--
Which of my questions was that an answer to?

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: (Quote) Jim-13836 said: Rachel, I think what you are doing is c...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

Quote:
Jim-13836 said:

Rachel,

Pray tell me which natural law is violated?

--hide--
The natural Law of common sense. laughing

Just because you can get an orgasm from putting "it" where it doesn't belong, does not make it right.

The implication of correct order in Natural Law is, that reproduction of the species is achieved through intercourse between a man and a woman.Common sense really.Therefore any deviation of this is a perversion,or incorrect application.

Apr 5th 2013 new

People have a right to be heard. How we interpet their message is subjective. Each person will give you a different answer. I choose to be straight. That is my way and no, I do not have an agenda.

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Ana-392290 said: People have a right to be heard. How we interpet their message is subjective. Each person will give...
(Quote) Ana-392290 said:

People have a right to be heard. How we interpet their message is subjective. Each person will give you a different answer. I choose to be straight. That is my way and no, I do not have an agenda.

--hide--
wave Welcome to the Forums Ana! Could you clarify,I'm not understanding your point.

Posts 61 - 70 of 158