Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I keep on hearing polls conducted on Catholic in regard the following topics:
1) A majority of American Catholics are for Gay Marraige
2) A majority of American Catholics are for Abortion and Contraception
3) A majority of American Catholics want a new pope who is Center or Left of Center

I have never been contacted on these types of polls? Also, I do not know of anyone that has.

How about you guys?

I belive that most of the polls being quoted are false.

Mar 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Ron-26907 said: I keep on hearing polls conducted on Catholic in regard the following topics:1) A majority of Am...
(Quote) Ron-26907 said:

3) A majority of American Catholics want a new pope who is Center or Left of Center

I have never been contacted on these types of polls? Also, I do not know of anyone that has.

How about you guys?

--hide--
I've never been contacted for such a poll. Last year I was a circulator for my parish gathering signatures to have the gay "marriage" issue put on the ballot in Maryland. Fat lot of good that did. We had tables set up to get signatures from parishioners after each Mass several weeks in a row. It was quite depressing because we didn't get the numbers we had hoped for. There appears to be more liberal Catholics than many of us realize, but then I live in the "People's Republic of Maryland."

Mar 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Ron-26907 said: I keep on hearing polls conducted on Catholic in regard the following topics:1) A majority of Am...
(Quote) Ron-26907 said:

How about you guys?

--hide--
I belive you are right. I hear polls that say most Amercans are against abortion.

I have only recently reducated myself around these topics and realize the destruction that things like contraception causes in our society. I was previously ignorant and believed contraception was OK. I now believe its up to us to teach the public and to shiw/lead by example.

God bless.

Mar 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Ron-26907 said:

How about you guys?

--hide--

As a registered Independent voter, I figured I would have gotten contacted quite frequently for "polls" during the last election. Didn't happen once. I believe that most polls are skewed from the beginning in who they contact, do not have a large enough sample, or the questions are written in a skewed manner.

Mar 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: but then I live in the "People's Republic of Maryland."
(Quote) Peter-449116 said: but then I live in the "People's Republic of Maryland."
--hide--

I use "People's Republic of O'Malleyland" myself.

Mar 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Ron-26907 said:

How about you guys?

--hide--

If "leftism" is now considered to be support for abortion, contraception, and the redefinition of marriage, what do the same Catholics mean by a Pope who is "left of center?"

The label "left," used in reference to the True Faith, is irrelevent anyways given that our Pontiffs have consistantly stood up for marriage, life, and also for things that the "left" used to be understood as supporting such as peace. In the latter sense, Francis and Popes have always been "left of center," especially given John Paul II and Pope Benedict's condemnation of the Iraq Invasion, and the 2nd Vatican Council's condemnation of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Gaudium et Spes.

One then has to ask, in what way is the new Pope supposed to be "left of center" in way that satisfies the pollsters, if not those answering, that doesn't amount to "I want a Pope who isn't Catholic?"

Mar 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: If "leftism" is now considered to be support for abortion, contraception, and...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

If "leftism" is now considered to be support for abortion, contraception, and the redefinition of marriage, what do the same Catholics mean by a Pope who is "left of center?"

The label "left," used in reference to the True Faith, is irrelevent anyways given that our Pontiffs have consistantly stood up for marriage, life, and also for things that the "left" used to be understood as supporting such as peace. In the latter sense, Francis and Popes have always been "left of center," especially given John Paul II and Pope Benedict's condemnation of the Iraq Invasion, and the 2nd Vatican Council's condemnation of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Gaudium et Spes.

One then has to ask, in what way is the new Pope supposed to be "left of center" in way that satisfies the pollsters, if not those answering, that doesn't amount to "I want a Pope who isn't Catholic?"

--hide--

One might even argue that American Catholics are too right of center. Plenty had no problem with the Iraq war. Some clergy and laity put up a fake social justice front which for strange reason never amounts to much real social justice. How many Fr. Coughlins and Msgr. John A. Ryans do you see today? The Church has moved to the radical right, often under left cover.

Mar 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Stephanie-450440 said: I use "People's Republic of O'Malleyland" myself.
(Quote) Stephanie-450440 said:

I use "People's Republic of O'Malleyland" myself.

--hide--
Here in Prince George's County, I never feel more lonely than when I'm standing in a long line to vote! laughing Voting here is almost pointless except for the national ticket.

Mar 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Ron-26907 said:

How about you guys?

--hide--

Hi Ron et alia,

Assuming the polls are done right, then yes, those are what American Catholics want, rightly or wrongly.

I would like to see the polls in question, with the percentages.

James ☺

Mar 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Ron-26907 said:

How about you guys?

--hide--

What's a "Catholic" anyway? Someone who goes to church every week, once a month, only at Christmas and Easter or not at all? I imagine that there are big differences among these groups. No doubt that Catholics who never go to church are probably more "liberal" on certain issues than Catholics who go to church every week.

Posts 1 - 10 of 10