Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: It think it (behavior from some Catholics) is very similar behavior to that of some of the Phar...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

It think it (behavior from some Catholics) is very similar behavior to that of some of the Pharisees who hung on every word and action of Jesus, not so that they might learn from Him, but so that they might catch Jesus in some perceived error so that they could discredit him in front of the Jewish population. It is sad to see.

Ed

--hide--

Why would you accuse anyone of that? If the Pope did not follow the rubrics of the Mass in the washing of the feet, then why is it a problem of ours and not his?

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Yikes. Such an uproar over this, as if there's aren't more important issues to be resolved ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Yikes. Such an uproar over this, as if there's aren't more important issues to be resolved in the Church than this. By criticizing the Pope's actions, we are fortifying the opinions of other faiths that Catholics just don't have it together; that the Church is disintegrating; and so on. Our criticism is helping those who would do us harm.

The Vatican has allowed the inclusion of women at the pastoral discretion of a bishop. The Pope is the Bishop of Rome. He was free to exercise his discretion. Some link the washing of feet ritual with the apostolic ministry. But, the ritual is primarily a sign of service to others. If you recall, Jesus Himself caused an uproar over some of His actions -- mainly healing people on the Sabbath. The point He was trying to make was that there is a greater good involved, as compared to the rules of the time. Isn't that what Pope Francis showed by his actions?

The USCCB has acknowledged and accepted the inclusion of women in the washing of feet ritual. Their interpretation is that the act is one of humility and service.Obviously this applies only to the US, but is an indication that the rule is outdated.

What's interesting is that the washing of feet isn't required by the rubrics. It appears that the rule has been in existence for some time, but hasn't been strictly followed, even by the Vatican. Although Church rules are supposed to be in a higher level, we can perhaps compare it's laws with those of governments -- many are outdated, and not enforced.

A question to ponder: Do the rubrics exist to serve the Gospels, or do the Gospels exist to serve the rubrics? Which accomplishes the greater good?

--hide--
Yes.

Mar 31st 2013 new
(Quote) ED-20630 said: It think it (behavior from some Catholics) is very similar behavior to that of some of the Pharisees who hung...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

It think it (behavior from some Catholics) is very similar behavior to that of some of the Pharisees who hung on every word and action of Jesus, not so that they might learn from Him, but so that they might catch Jesus in some perceived error so that they could discredit him in front of the Jewish population. It is sad to see.

Ed

--hide--
Ed, Excellent post! You get a Gold Star! You get a Gold Star! You get a Gold Star!

A Catholic friend posted this on FB - "It's Easter Sunday and I am having a BLOCK PARTY. I am BLOCKING all Pope complainers and Liturgy and Vestment Obsessers. Long live Pope Francis !!"
Mar 31st 2013 new

All this is very interesting becasue my priest today said hewas happy that the Pope Francis included two women in this tradition and that one of them was Muslim.

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Saul-730886 said: All this is very interesting becasue my priest today said hewas happy that the Pope Francis includ...
(Quote) Saul-730886 said:

All this is very interesting becasue my priest today said hewas happy that the Pope Francis included two women in this tradition and that one of them was Muslim.

--hide--

Yes. It could be a good thing.

Mar 31st 2013 new

Hi William,

Perhaps I could have better explained it as you did that ...... "He (Jesus) may have been acting against what the Pharisees understood the law to be,....". That is perhaps more accurate.

Thanks.

Happy Easter!

Ed

Mar 31st 2013 new

William,

I can think of no better and no more appropriate analogy than what I posted previously. If you have a better one, then I would like to hear it.

Ed

Mar 31st 2013 new

Thank you Mary.

I like the idea of that BLOCK PARTY!

I will not be surprised if we see another mostly negative thread starting around the following topic...... Pope Francis celebrated a somewhat shortened Easter Vigil Mass (a little less that 2-1/2 hours, instead of 3 hours) by shortening the candle-lighting ceremony and cutting a few of the old testiment readings. Also, he wished the Easter crowd a Happy Easter in only one language (Italian), rather than the many, many languages, as did Pope JPII and Pope Benedict.

Shortened Easter Vigil Mass >>> www.masslive.com

Happy Easter! Bunny! pope

Ed

Mar 31st 2013 new

Thank you Ray.

Happy Easter! Bunny! pope

Ed

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Thank you Mary. I like the idea of that BLOCK PARTY! I will not be surprised if...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Thank you Mary.

I like the idea of that BLOCK PARTY!

I will not be surprised if we see another mostly negative thread starting around the following topic...... Pope Francis celebrated a somewhat shortened Easter Vigil Mass (a little less that 2-1/2 hours, instead of 3 hours) by shortening the candle-lighting ceremony and cutting a few of the old testiment readings. Also, he wished the Easter crowd a Happy Easter in only one language (Italian), rather than the many, many languages, as did Pope JPII and Pope Benedict.

Shortened Easter Vigil Mass >>> www.masslive.com

Happy Easter!

Ed

--hide--
I love our new pope and will keep him in my prayers.

Posts 151 - 160 of 200