Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Ed, Excellent post! A Catholic friend posted this on FB - "It's Easter Sunday and I am h...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Ed, Excellent post!

A Catholic friend posted this on FB - "It's Easter Sunday and I am having a BLOCK PARTY. I am BLOCKING all Pope complainers and Liturgy and Vestment Obsessers. Long live Pope Francis !!"
--hide--

I think our church has enough critics without the attacks from within. I love our new pope and will keep him in my prayers. Some how I think the prayers will do more good than the worry on here. I mean I can think of all kind of reasons why he did this...to show the world our church loves women for instance as much as men (the act is not related to saying women can become priest) whatever the reason, I'm sure I am not informed enough to criticize our holy leader who I am quite sure deliberated and prayed before deciding. Did you hear his talk today on EWTN? I wish the world could hear and listen. He spoke about human trafficing again and the attacks on family along with so many other issues that hurt people and along with keeping hope and joy. If you just listen to him, you feel he is truly holy spirit led.

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I watched the video. Thank you for posting it. I am so sad. We need to pray.
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I watched the video. Thank you for posting it. I am so sad. We need to pray.

--hide--

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: (Quote) Steven-706921 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said:...

Quote:
Steven-706921 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I see what you are saying and have no argument about Thomas More. I believe I heard that the Pope made sure he was not the one distributing communion when Biden was there at the inaugural Mass. Did Cardinal Dolan distribute to Biden at the inaugural Mass for Pope Francis? I have not been watching.

It was done with the knowledge of Cardinal Dolan, who even pointed out and gave a shout out to Biden as he received.

lesfemmes-thetruth.blogspot.com

--hide--
Now this is something to be upset about.

Mar 31st 2013 new

"Dolanism" the subordination of the Catholic faith to the prevailing cultural...

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I watched the video. Thank you for posting it. I am so sad. We need to pray.

--hide--
Did you notice at the end that he said there is most probably going to by a new lesbian and legally "married" mayor of N.Y. who said that she will not be denied communion by the Church....who is she to say that the Church has to give her communion??? Dolan no doubt will though....I can't believe he gave it to Biden...

Mar 31st 2013 new
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: I think our church has enough critics without the attacks from within. I love our new pope and wi...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

I think our church has enough critics without the attacks from within. I love our new pope and will keep him in my prayers. Some how I think the prayers will do more good than the worry on here. I mean I can think of all kind of reasons why he did this...to show the world our church loves women for instance as much as men (the act is not related to saying women can become priest) whatever the reason, I'm sure I am not informed enough to criticize our holy leader who I am quite sure deliberated and prayed before deciding. Did you hear his talk today on EWTN? I wish the world could hear and listen. He spoke about human trafficing again and the attacks on family along with so many other issues that hurt people and along with keeping hope and joy. If you just listen to him, you feel he is truly holy spirit led.

--hide--
Cheryl, I didn't see the interview, but your comment prompted me to find these. Is this what you viewed? Thank you so much!!

EXCLUSIVE EWTN Interview with Pope Francis -- "The Voice of the Pastor" www.youtube.com

EXCLUSIVE EWTN Pope Francis on his love for the Eucharist - www.youtube.com
Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Lynea-297530 said: Yes, Ray, the washing of the feet is not obligatory, but highly recommended...
(Quote) Lynea-297530 said:

Yes, Ray, the washing of the feet is not obligatory, but highly recommended, and it is tradition.

However, you misunderstood one thing about the Holy Thursday liturgy; it is not a usual Mass --- the Mass itself is a commemoration of BOTH the institution of the Holy Eucharist AND the institution of Holy Orders --- even on its own without the Washing of the Feet. This is what we celebrate on Maundy Thursday.

--hide--

Thank you for stating that. It is the connection between Christ and His priesthood, which he instituted at the Last Supper, that we commemorate with the Washing of the Feet, and is likely the key reason that men, preferably seminarians, are to have their feet washed.

Unfortunately, either that key tradition, or the tradition itself, has now been jeopardized. Priests will either be pressured to wash the feet of women, or decide that the yearly fight isn't worth it and not do it at all (which is what my pastor does).

The problem is not whether the liturgical rubrics are something the Pope is bound to (the Vatican has made it quite clear he isn't), but how does he cast aside clear liturgical rubrics without implying that others who find it inconvenient can simply disregard them simply because Pope Francis did.

Either reform it to say woman are allowed to be selected, selected under clearly defined circumstances, or simply reiterate the rubric and define why it's there in the first place so that people who want to understand can (as we know, there are those that simply don't).

What is not good is to leave a crystal clear law on the books but show no intention of expecting anyone to follow it. That damages the effectiveness of law across the board.

Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: Its a bit of a stretch to think this is going to lead to women priests. Pope John Paul II under i...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

Its a bit of a stretch to think this is going to lead to women priests. Pope John Paul II under infallibility made it quite clear it weren't going to happen.

I'm no fan of women having their feet washed at this service, but the girls were kids. Children. I think Pope Francis' symbol of humility and openness far outweighs any perceieved offence by not washing the feet of just men.

As for bad examples? There's already plenty of priests disobeying canon law and doctrine. I've never been at a service where it was just men who were only washed, and adults at that.

The ship might have sailed on this tradition a long ways back, at least in my country.

Therefore I'm going to take a cautious "wait and see" attitude.

--hide--

At my parish growing up in New Orleans, anyone could have their feet washed. I went up and then washed others. But, now, it seems most churches have the 12 chairs on the altar and the priests wash. Most parishes only have men, but I think my brother said that his parish also includes women in the 12. The church I went to on Thursday only had men take off one shoe and sock to be washed -- yes, just one foot.

Side story - I remember seeing people take socks off to get their feet washed, and I wondered what women with pantyhose on did. laughing Then I saw they just had the pantyhose get soaked.

Mar 31st 2013 new
(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Side story - I remember seeing people take socks off to get their feet washed, and I wondered what women ...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

Side story - I remember seeing people take socks off to get their feet washed, and I wondered what women with pantyhose on did. Then I saw they just had the pantyhose get soaked.

--hide--
You made me laugh, Tara.
Mar 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Cheryl, I didn't see the interview, but your comment prompted me to find these. Is this what you view...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Cheryl, I didn't see the interview, but your comment prompted me to find these. Is this what you viewed? Thank you so much!!

EXCLUSIVE EWTN Interview with Pope Francis -- "The Voice of the Pastor" www.youtube.com

EXCLUSIVE EWTN Pope Francis on his love for the Eucharist - www.youtube.com
--hide--

Yes, the washing of the feet was clearly Jesus' way of showing that he was humble and a servant and that is what Pope Francis was showing that he was a humble servant who loves all....much like Jesus. I'm much more worried that Archbishop Dolan gave the body and blood of Christ to an unrepentant abortionist supporter and gay marriage supporter like Biden and clearly shows he is much more concerned with being in the lime light and hobnobbing with the elites than with our Catholic Church's core values and beliefs. I do hate that these so called progressive catholics will read into it and think he is trying to change Church teaching. I"ve already seen a couple of internet blogs including a WA Post writer that implied as much....so misleading to other Catholics, but there isn't much we can do about so called catholics misleading other cathoics. Really, in my opinion there is no such thing as a progressive catholic....that just means they are protestant.

Posts 161 - 170 of 200