Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

03/31/2013 new
(Quote) William-607613 said: Why would you accuse anyone of that? If the Pope did not follow the rubrics of the Mass in the w...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

Why would you accuse anyone of that? If the Pope did not follow the rubrics of the Mass in the washing of the feet, then why is it a problem of ours and not his?

--hide--

Because the Pope is above the law. Rather he is the law.
03/31/2013 new

(Quote) Michael-556947 said:
We have a Pope . hopefully back in the Direction of Vatican Two ...

We have a Pope . hopefully back in the Direction of Vatican Two

--hide--

I don't know what "hopefully back in the Direction of Vatican Two" means; you would have to elaborate.

I have yet to come across anyone in these forums who has a problem with Vatican II; most of us were born after the event.

If you are implying that you hope the Pope comes around to your personal interpretation of what Vatican II is, well, then I suspect many of us have a problem.

03/31/2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Because the Pope is above the law. Rather he is the law.
(Quote) John-220051 said:

Because the Pope is above the law. Rather he is the law.
--hide--

John,

That is a far too simplistic answer for someone of your intellect.

Liturgical law can be changed, but it cannot be ignored. If the Pope had a problem with the law he could have taken steps to change it. By not doing this but by publicly ignoring it, he creates a problem for all of those clergy and lay people who try to adhere to liturgical law.

03/31/2013 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: Are you accusing the Pope of scandal? By whose authority to do have the right to do th...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

Are you accusing the Pope of scandal? By whose authority to do have the right to do that? Pope Francis has been placed in the "Chair of Peter", which by synecdoche signifies the episcopal office of the Pope as Bishop of Rome, an office considered to have been first held by Saint Peter.
Only God has the right to be his judge.

I have been reading your posts. Do you realize that no matter what you know or think you know, as a Woman in the Traditional church you wouldn't have been allowed to voice it? Doesn't that seem strange that BECAUSE of Vatican ll that you can say the things you are saying here?

I feel scandalized by you and others in this forum because of all the doubt you are casting about Pope Francis who is now the Head of Christ's Church on earth.

--hide--

I hope you do not scandalize each other due to your emotions on this issue!

If you think that woman's feat should be washed, write to the Congregation of Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments telling them of your concern over this incident, and ask that if woman's feet should be washed that the rubric change be formalized.

If you disagree, write to the Congregation of Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments telling them of your concern over this incident, and ask that the rubric be reiterated with the reasons why it should be that way.

Either way, whatever you think about the acceptability of this, the fact that it was done capriously is cause for concern because it sets a bad example that puts how we worship in jeopardy.

Reform it, reiterate it, but don't just throw it aside. That's the point that's got to be made here.

03/31/2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: I don't know what "hopefully back in the Direction of Vatican Two" me...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

I don't know what "hopefully back in the Direction of Vatican Two" means; you would have to elaborate.

I have yet to come across anyone in these forums who has a problem with Vatican II; most of us were born after the event.

If you are implying that you hope the Pope comes around to your personal interpretation of what Vatican II is, well, then I suspect many of us have a problem.

--hide--
The tradiitionalist already have
Pope Francis

"Pope Francis"

03/31/2013 new

After reading through this thread, I feel sad. First, because the person that started it opened the door to doubt and criticism of the Head of the Catholic Church among other Catholics. Then I thought of the new Catholics who are trying to navigate this very vast and sometimes complicated church. Maybe some of them joined CM and are reading the forums and wondering who or what to believe if they can't trust their Pope to guide them.

I felt so clearly what Christ was up against with the scribes and Pharisees. They were so immovable, so steeped in their law and rituals that they didn't HEAR His WORDS and SEE His HEART theheart . They are obviously alive and well in 2013! He came to reform and fulfill His Father's church on earth, not start a new one but they wouldn't budge because of their stubbornness. They put Him to death instead. The Jews are still waiting for the Messiah and He is already here.
Interesting that this is a topic during the Triduum, the holiest season of the year. Myself, I have learned a few things here.

Please be prudent in what you say about the Pope and OUR church. I promise I will from now on. Praying
Let us pray for Francis our pope.
"May the Lord protect him and grant him length of days. Amen.
May the Lord be his shield and deliver him from all harm. Amen.
May the Lord give him happiness and peace all the days of his life. Amen.

O God, the Shepherd and Ruler of all the faithful, in Thy mercy look down upon Thy
servant Francis, who Thou has appointed to preside over Thy church, and grant we
beseech Thee, that both by word and example he may edify those who are under his
charge; so that, with the flock entrusted to him, he may attain life everlasting.
Through Christ our Lord. Amen."

Let us pray for ourselves that we have discernment and guidance by the Holy Spirit in what we share with others Praying
I pray you all had a glorious Easter and truly felt the miracle of His Resurrection Sunrise

03/31/2013 new

I respectfully disagree that there is no comparison.

Ed

03/31/2013 new
That was beautifully stated Laura. Thank you so much. I am so truly thankful to God for Our Holy Father Francis!
03/31/2013 new

Concerning the Holy Thursday washing of feet by Pope Francis....

This statement (below) was released by the Vatican's chief spokesman, the Rev. Feerico Lombardi on Friday 3/29/2013. I have copied three paragraphs from the Washington Post article (which appears to me to be accurate):

This is the full Washington Post article >>> www.washingtonpost.com

Copied from the article....

The Vatican’s chief spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said the pope’s decision was “absolutely licit” for a rite that is not a church sacrament. Francis also took into account “the real situation, the community where one celebrates,” Lombardi added.

The Casal del Marmo prison where Francis celebrated houses both young men and women, “and it would have been strange if girls had been excluded,” Lombardi said.

“This community understands simple and essential things; they were not liturgy scholars,” Lombardi said. “Washing feet was important to present the Lord’s spirit of service and love.”

I just thought that all concerned (on this thread) may be interested in reading this, if you have not already done so.... Not that I expect it to change anyone's mind on the subject, but I just thought that it was important what the Vatican's chief spokesman had to say concerning this issue.

Ed

03/31/2013 new

(Quote) Michael-556947 said: The tradiitionalist already have
Pope Francis

"Pope Francis"

The tradiitionalist already have

Pope Francis

"Pope Francis"

--hide--

Not just the traditionalists, though some who are may be the most affected by it.

As I have pointed out, and Fr. Z and others as well, this is a problem for all because it affects how we worship and whether the rubrics are practiced, including the ones that people don't like for some reason.

The later cuts both way, may I remind you.

We are discussing this because it concerns all, and because we love the Church and our Pontiff. It wouldn't be nearing the 200 comment limit so fast if it wasn't the case.

Posts 181 - 190 of 200