Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Mar 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Edward-4511 said: Thanks Paul. It was brought to my attention elsewhere that before 1955, the foot washing ritual was held ...
(Quote) Edward-4511 said: Thanks Paul. It was brought to my attention elsewhere that before 1955, the foot washing ritual was held separate from the Mass, something Mr. Akin failed to mention. (I mistyped Holy Thursday ritual when I meant the Mass.)
--hide--
It has been included in the liturgy for years; nevertheless is is NOT a requirement. It remains optional.

Mar 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: I agree with you on most of what you said probably 95%. However, I do think that the act...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

I agree with you on most of what you said probably 95%. However, I do think that the action sets a poor precedence and has possible liturgical implications and symbolization of things to come. If those were not his intent then I think that the action may have been imprudent. There is no judgement of the Pope but an examination of the action and how it may be interpreted by some and what he is meaning by it. However I do agree that Peter's boat won't sink and thank you for the reminder to trust.

--hide--

I think he is saying something as you mentioned in an earlier post. He is saying love the least among us. . .the prayer of St. Francis. Inmates, youth, girls, muslims. . .

There are rules and regulations, rubrics etc for a reason. Some are essential, for example, unleavened bread and real wine. Some are non-essential meaning that changing them or altering them will have no effect on the Sacrament or the legitimacy of the liturgy, etc. I see this as a purely non-essential aspect that is open to change and pastoral discretion, in order to stress the different aspects of the command and the action of Christ.

Additionally, all law must be interpreted in the pastoral reality and the Pope is our ultimate pastor on this earth. There are also exceptions to most laws and rubrics, conditions which may change a thing.

I am not afraid of this action by the pope nor am I concerned that it is setting a poor example. I think he is trying to set a very good example by reminding us to serve humbly even the least among us. And, I really don't think he is going to start playing fast and loose with the rules and laws, I think instead he is going to bring them to life, make them real, living actions that bring our Faith to life in each one of us. We are truly blessed to have such beautiful Sacraments and beautiful rituals made all the more beautiful by a deep,vibrant and living faith, that takes us from the Sanctity of the Church and the Liturgy and takes that Sanctity to the world at large, as we are implored to do at the end of each mass: The mass is ended go forth in peace to love and serve the Lord. I think he is calling us to serve the Lord, he is challenging us to truly live our faith in deeds and actions as well as thoughts and prayers. He is calling us to love in service to one another. And, I must admit this call sings out to me. It excites me with hope and eagerness and response.

www.youtube.com

This you tube video is Jesse Manibusan singing his most beautiful song Open my Eyes. . . so so so beautiful. I had the privilege of being with this man in person during a youth event -- remarkable. This song and the reminder: Harden not your hearts. Keeps coming to mind.

Lyrics to open my eyes Lord (www.spiritandsong.com

1. Open my eyes, Lord.
Help me to see your face.
Open my eyes, Lord.
Help me to see.

2. Open my ears, Lord.
Help me to hear your voice.
Open my ears, Lord.
Help me to hear.

3. Open my heart, Lord.
Help me to love like you.
Open my heart, Lord.
Help me to love.

Bridge
And the first shall be last,
and our eyes are opened,
and we'll hear like never before.
And we'll speak in new ways,
and we'll see God's face
in places we've never known.

4. I live within you.
Deep in your heart, O Love.
I live within you.
Rest now in me.

For now I think the most important thing we can do is trust in the Holy Spirit, trust in the supreme wisdom of God, offer our confusion and lack of understanding up to Our Lord and ask him to show us what he is revealing through this new Shepherd, the one He has chosen for us. Perhaps renew our Baptismal vows and our Confirmation Yes, Here I am Lord. . .ooops better get to Church. Much love to all and fear not. . .I think God has wonderful things in store for us.

Mar 29th 2013 new

My apologies if I am repeating something written before (have not read every post here), however Lynea made the very simple and accurate statement that the Maundy Thursday service is centred around Christ instituting the priesthood (male) and giving us the Holy Eucharist. What the Pope did was pastoral in nature. Why did the Pope need to do something pastoral while tampering with the Sacred Liturgy? Why could he not visit the poor, oppressed, talk with them, feed them, wash their feet or do whatever he wanted to do pastorally outside of the Liturgy? He would have got plenty of positive media coverage if he did that.

Our Lady of La Salette spoke of the massive apostasy that was awaiting the Church, the horrific vision of the future Church that Pope Leo XIII experienced almost killed him and the third secret of Fatima that was supposed to be made public in 1960 also reportedly referred to the great apostasy within the Church. Are these visions all a load of mumbo jumbo or are we in those times right now?

Mar 29th 2013 new
Its not only catholics who have the life of Christ in them.Its not an exclusive club.We have a great gift of being able to directly take part in the eucharist.--I would hate to think that any sane person would believe that all non-catholics are devoid of the life of Christ.-People of other faiths in their lives--filled with happiness,sorrow,love have the life of Christ in them--because Christ is the source of all love and goodness.

This exclusive 'club' business sounds much more like evangelical protestant doctrine.
Mar 29th 2013 new

"Joining the Orthodox..." Of course, if you join the Orthodox on Monday, you can get a second Easter. Who wouldn't want a second Easter?

Mar 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Lynea-297530 said: Paul, where do you get your theology? Tom, I take Jesus Christ at his w...
(Quote) Lynea-297530 said:

Paul, where do you get your theology?

Tom, I take Jesus Christ at his word.

Bernard, thank you, brother.

www.audiosancto.org

www.audiosancto.org

--hide--

In the seminary in the late 1940s.

Mar 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Gabor-19025 said: My apologies if I am repeating something written before (have not read every post here), however L...
(Quote) Gabor-19025 said:

My apologies if I am repeating something written before (have not read every post here), however Lynea made the very simple and accurate statement that the Maundy Thursday service is centred around Christ instituting the priesthood (male) and giving us the Holy Eucharist. What the Pope did was pastoral in nature. Why did the Pope need to do something pastoral while tampering with the Sacred Liturgy? Why could he not visit the poor, oppressed, talk with them, feed them, wash their feet or do whatever he wanted to do pastorally outside of the Liturgy? He would have got plenty of positive media coverage if he did that.

Our Lady of La Salette spoke of the massive apostasy that was awaiting the Church, the horrific vision of the future Church that Pope Leo XIII experienced almost killed him and the third secret of Fatima that was supposed to be made public in 1960 also reportedly referred to the great apostasy within the Church. Are these visions all a load of mumbo jumbo or are we in those times right now?

--hide--

The third secret of Fatima has been fully revealed. Sr. Lucia hersekf said so. JP!! and Bendict XVI both affirmed the fact. It was published by the Vatican in June 2000 with commentary by then Cardinal Ratzinger

So why do you use the language, "... supposed to be revealed in 1960... ."?

Mar 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: The third secret of Fatima has been fully revealed. Sr. Lucia hersekf said so. JP!! and B...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

The third secret of Fatima has been fully revealed. Sr. Lucia hersekf said so. JP!! and Bendict XVI both affirmed the fact. It was published by the Vatican in June 2000 with commentary by then Cardinal Ratzinger

So why do you use the language, "... supposed to be revealed in 1960... ."?

--hide--

Because while the vision was given in June 2000, and Sr. Lucia confirmed that the vision was seen in the Third Secret, there was also a letter believed to be the explanation Our Lady gave to the vision. To this day no one has seen the letter.

Italian Journalist Antonio Socci, who originally sided with Bertone's claims about the release, came to understand the existance of that second letter. His work on this is "The Fourth Secret of Fatima"

www.amazon.com

Mar 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Gabor-19025 said: My apologies if I am repeating something written before (have not read every post here), however L...
(Quote) Gabor-19025 said:

--hide--
The Holy Thursday Mass isn't simply centered around a single important event. Yes, it was the night that Jesus instituted the priesthood. Holy Thursday is filled with the establishment of another sacrament -- the Eucharist. That important fact can't be neglected. The Maundy Thursday Mass is also filled with a great deal of symbolism, other traditions and events. Some examples: It was the final gathering of Jesus with his Apostles; they were celebrating the Passover meal in the well-established Jewish tradition; Jesus displayed humility of service.

As previously mentioned, the washing of feet during this Mass is optional -- not required as part of this liturgy.

Pope Francis is known for his dedication to the poor, oppressed and downtrodden ("the least of our brethren") while serving as a priest, bishop and archbishop -- all outside of the liturgies and within. Is there any reason to believe he is discontinuing his concern for the less fortunate now that he is a pope? He chose an excellent way to show that people who are not in the mainstream are just as worthy as others. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what Jesus asked of us?

Mar 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-112790 said: Its not only catholics who have the life of Christ in them.Its not an exclusive club.We have a great gift ...
(Quote) Tom-112790 said: Its not only catholics who have the life of Christ in them.Its not an exclusive club.We have a great gift of being able to directly take part in the eucharist.--I would hate to think that any sane person would believe that all non-catholics are devoid of the life of Christ.-People of other faiths in their lives--filled with happiness,sorrow,love have the life of Christ in them--because Christ is the source of all love and goodness.

This exclusive 'club' business sounds much more like evangelical protestant doctrine.
--hide--

No, Catholic Dogma is not Protestant. That's a ridiculous statement.

Posts 81 - 90 of 200