Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 3rd 2013 new
Because dancing is the expression of the feelings of the soul! Simply amazingly awesome experience! If you are embarrassed, you are missing the biggest two rules... being true to yourself and enjoying yourself! If you can't follow those two rules, then don't dance ;)
Apr 3rd 2013 new

Dawn, there are the virtues of dancing in general, and the issue of whether its a good singles events.

I think a "dance" is a terrible singles event, i.e. way to meet someone. No one knows how to dance any more, most guys don't really like to, most are not interested in anyone on a romantic way anyway, and to ask someone to dance implies that at such an event, and therefore, no one asks anyone to dance and it is a disaster in terms of mingling.

I think it's a great idea people all already know each other (like at a wedding reception or something), but as a mixer? No way.

I too chime in that you should take some dancing lessons and free yourself to the wonder that is dance! :)

Apr 3rd 2013 new

+J.M.J.+

Blessings Dawn,

As someone who loves to dance more than just about any other activity on earth, I would highly suggest taking a few lessons. Now I am not talking about "club" dancing, either. I mean ballroom, swing, contra etc. Done properly these dances are chaste, fun, and a good leader will be able to help you through. Actually, proper social dance is a great way to meet others too! You might look up in your community pages what ballroom places are in the area. East and West Coast swing are danced to big band and modern music, so there is a bit of something for everyone.

I know from experience that it can be nervewracking to dance a new dance you've never tried at all the first time. Investing in some group lessons would help you be confident and save you from having to say "um, I don't know how to do this at all."

I've watched people foxtrot for years and never properly learned myself. . . I am starting a month of lessons next week for $40 with a local instructor.

Good luck!

In Christ Jesus through Mary,

Mariette

Apr 3rd 2013 new

Mariette brings up a good point. Contra dancing, while yes you have a partner, is simple and yet intricate/interesting and you are literally dancing with everyone, not just a single other person. Also, at these dances, they usually have an instructional bit at the beginning. Furthermore, the two times I've been, there has been no shortage of guys who ask me to dance and I tell them "just so you know, I've never done this one before" and the response I get is usually "don't worry! I'll make sure you get where you need to go!" They have actually been really good opportunities to meet people and just talk about stuff. I don't know about the run of the mill dancing that goes on these days...I've never been to any of them. I really enjoy dancing, though I'm no good at all, and I find that going with several freinds makes the whole thing less stressful and takes away that feeling of "I'm here to meet a good man."

As someone pointed out, there are many suitable activities for meeting people, and you should really do something that you find super fun!

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Mariette-959211 said: +J.M.J.+ Blessings Dawn, As someone who loves to dance more than just about ...
(Quote) Mariette-959211 said:

+J.M.J.+

Blessings Dawn,

As someone who loves to dance more than just about any other activity on earth, I would highly suggest taking a few lessons. Now I am not talking about "club" dancing, either. I mean ballroom, swing, contra etc. Done properly these dances are chaste, fun, and a good leader will be able to help you through. Actually, proper social dance is a great way to meet others too! You might look up in your community pages what ballroom places are in the area. East and West Coast swing are danced to big band and modern music, so there is a bit of something for everyone.

I know from experience that it can be nervewracking to dance a new dance you've never tried at all the first time. Investing in some group lessons would help you be confident and save you from having to say "um, I don't know how to do this at all."

I've watched people foxtrot for years and never properly learned myself. . . I am starting a month of lessons next week for $40 with a local instructor.

Good luck!

In Christ Jesus through Mary,

Mariette

--hide--

Welcome to the forum, Mariette!!! wave

Apr 3rd 2013 new
(Quote) Matt-61677 said: Hi Dawn- I agree with Mary. I dance all the time, and I don't do it to meet that my future spo...
(Quote) Matt-61677 said:

Hi Dawn-

I agree with Mary. I dance all the time, and I don't do it to meet that my future spouse. I do it for fun. Most of us are friends and we do non- dance stuff too, and relationships happen kind of the same way they might happen in a volleyball league. I've met several hundred women dancing and I've dated three.

But I do hope you learn- for me it took finding the right studio but I am sooooo happy. Their isn't a more enjoyable activity that I can think of. The majority of recreational dancers are usually very welcoming (although last night I was at a new place and they weren't - it happens). Everyone starts off with two left feet. You just need the right teaching and practice...

Still not your cup of tea? I'm part of a young adult eucharistic community. We've had 15 some marriages from it since '05 aand a ton of wonderful friendships. I also throw a parties called brunch & jam, where we cook together as a group, eat together then do praise & worship. Never underestimate the power of crepes to bring folks together!

--hide--
I think many non-dancers can't wrap their head around the fact that we are not there for the purpose to meet someone of the opposite sex. Of course, like any other facet of single life people are free to date...some of the dancers have gotten engaged/married. But dancing does not equate to romance. And even in the cases where that had developed, the guys didn't have what it takes to make things work...off the dance floor...where it really counts....as they didn't practice the Catholic faith. Over the years I actually decided I did not want a man who danced...and encouraged my closest girlfriends to find a non-dancer. Yes, I have my own reasons...the dance scene has negatives...

It's a bit ironic that close dance friends kept saying, "He's not on the dance floor". "You need a "church boy". And they pestered me to join CM. Yeah, that's how I got "here"...
Apr 3rd 2013 new

[quote]Naomi-825244 said:

Mariette brings up a good point. Contra dancing, while yes you have a partner, is simple and yet intricate/interesting and you are literally dancing with everyone, not just a single other person. Also, at these dances, they usually have an instructional bit at the beginning. Furthermore, the two times I've been, there has been no shortage of guys who ask me to dance and I tell them "just so you know, I've never done this one before" and the response I get is usually "don't worry! I'll make sure you get where you need to go!" They have actually been really good opportunities to meet people and just talk about stuff. I don't know about the run of the mill dancing that goes on these days...I've never been to any of them. I really enjoy dancing, though I'm no good at all, and I find that going with several freinds makes the whole thing less stressful and takes away that feeling of "I'm here to meet a good man."

Thank you, Naomi! And yes, I NEVER lack a partner at a contra dance! It is so fun and I've met some really neat people that way!

Apr 3rd 2013 new
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: Mariette brings up a good point. Contra dancing, while yes you have a partner, is simple and yet intricate/inte...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

As someone pointed out, there are many suitable activities for meeting people, and you should really do something that you find super fun!

--hide--
I will add MY endorsement of contra dancing as well. I've been dancing squares and contras with a group here in Morgantown for several years now. And, I do it in a wheelchair. Rolling Along So, all of you who say you have two left feet ... Your excuse is invalid. mischievous
Apr 3rd 2013 new
(Quote) Mariette-959211 said: Thank you, Naomi! And yes, I NEVER lack a partner at a contra dance! It is so fun and I'...
(Quote) Mariette-959211 said:

Thank you, Naomi! And yes, I NEVER lack a partner at a contra dance! It is so fun and I've met some really neat people that way!

--hide--
May I have this dance, Mariette? I promise not to roll over your toes. Rolling Along
Apr 3rd 2013 new

Hehehe, sure Edward!

Posts 41 - 50 of 111