Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

04/03/2013 new

Hi Dawn! I like to be outside and so I seek out hiking groups/clubs.

04/03/2013 new

I love to slow dance. You can have nice conversations while dancing hug

wave

04/03/2013 new

(Quote) Edward-4511 said: I will add MY endorsement of contra dancing as well. I've been dancing squares and contras with a gro...
(Quote) Edward-4511 said: I will add MY endorsement of contra dancing as well. I've been dancing squares and contras with a group here in Morgantown for several years now. And, I do it in a wheelchair. So, all of you who say you have two left feet ... Your excuse is invalid.
--hide--

Keep on dancing Zoom. cool

04/03/2013 new
(Quote) Mariette-959211 said: (Quote) Naomi-825244 said: Mariette brings up a good point. Contra dancing, w...
(Quote) Mariette-959211 said:

[quote]Naomi-825244 said:

Mariette brings up a good point. Contra dancing, while yes you have a partner, is simple and yet intricate/interesting and you are literally dancing with everyone, not just a single other person.

Thank you, Naomi! And yes, I NEVER lack a partner at a contra dance! It is so fun and I've met some really neat people that way!

--hide--
I found ethnic dancing to be a lot of fun, too! Tried Greek and Croatian/Slavic dancing and loved it. I'm more naturally inclined to pick up just about any type of dance requiring a partner, so it took a bit to get used ethnic dances like kolos.
04/03/2013 new

(Quote) Matt-61677 said: till not your cup of tea? I'm part of a young adult eucharistic community. We've had 15 som...
(Quote) Matt-61677 said:

till not your cup of tea? I'm part of a young adult eucharistic community. We've had 15 some marriages from it since '05 aand a ton of wonderful friendships. I also throw a parties called brunch & jam, where we cook together as a group, eat together then do praise & worship. Never underestimate the power of crepes to bring folks together!

--hide--

Matt, these brunch & jam parties sound interesting--cooking plus praise & worship would make for a wonderful experience. Does one person open their kitchen & several people bring food as in a pitch in or do several people actually prepare food in the same space?

04/03/2013 new

(Quote) Kathy-355103 said: Even though I can relate to the feeling awkward and shy moments at dances thru the years, and I t...
(Quote) Kathy-355103 said:

Even though I can relate to the feeling awkward and shy moments at dances thru the years, and I too am taller than most of the guys and thus felt self concious and shy-----I have loved going to singles dances anyway!! For years and years---loved them.
Last July I did something totally different and found out about a huge swing dance club so VERY close to my home and started taking lessons there every Tuesday now! By myself!! This is not a catholic group and it is not a single's group (something very different for me to join). I have grown to love learning to swing dance!! It was a little awkward dancing with strangers at first---but I am sure learning great things from this. I am getting more comfortable dancing with different men----and I just love how the man is supposed to be the leader on the dance floor and the woman is to follow. This teaches the men to be better leaders and to be kind and patient and gentle---yet give a strong lead and I just love that!! Learning to follow different men's leads is harder for me than I thought it would be---but a good skill to learn. And once you get over the awkwardness----it really is nice to learn to be comfortable with the respectful, safe touches that occur in dancing. I am not the best dancer, but I am slowly learning. It is fun to dance with the guys who have been dancing for years. Everyone is encouraged to dance with different people---though couples don't have to if they don't want to. There are many single people there and married people as well. It's a huge very successful group----after the lesson they have a dance and you can practice.. HUNDREDS of people are there every Tuesday. When I was younger I wouldn't go to something like this because a lot of the people are older than me... Now that I have gotten older---I am finding it fun to be one of the younger ones there!! LOL! Actually there are younger ones too---but mostly older than me.. It is so fun!! I have actually met several guys to go out with there----which was nice for a change!! Nothing worked out---but it was still fun trying. The hard part is that most don't share my Catholic faith and many many don't have the same morals (have to be on guard sometimes there)----but gosh, I am really enjoying dancing and meeting people! There are some really nice men there too.. The more you go--the easier and more fun it gets to dance..... If I can learn a little---the rest of you can too. (I'm not a good dancer really!!! ) I encourage some of you to give it a try!! Fun way to get exercise too...

--hide--
Excellent, Kathy!!! Locally there's a spot that offers swing dance lessons. During the lessons, we rotate partners every few minutes so by the end of the lessons, everyone has danced with all of the people of the opposite gender at least once. That gives everyone a chance to do what you described. Leading is difficult; following is demanding, too. But....it's more about having fun.

After the lesson, there is open dancing -- with a lot of socializing along with it. The main fact is that you don't have to be good at it. Everyone started from ground zero at some time or another, resulting in people of different skill levels. Makes no difference and people don't criticize one another. There's the fun factor dominating again. Some are superb; most are starting out, so you have both ends of the spectrum -- meeting and enjoying themselves.

You can read more into it, of course. It's a chance to develop a great social skill; indulge in self-improvement; develop self-confidence; plus meet many people -- of both genders.

As far as being taller than a lot of men, well, don't let it bother you. I see several married couples in Church where the women are taller. True love doesn't let a person's height interfere. It shouldn't bother you while you're trying to have fun either.

Enjoy!!

04/03/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: I found ethnic dancing to be a lot of fun, too! Tried Greek and Croatian/Slavic dancing and loved it. I&#...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: I found ethnic dancing to be a lot of fun, too! Tried Greek and Croatian/Slavic dancing and loved it. I'm more naturally inclined to pick up just about any type of dance requiring a partner, so it took a bit to get used ethnic dances like kolos.
--hide--
The Greek and Croatian ethnic dances can be fun, plus there are mixed age groups in some areas. There's also Polish dancing - ethnic style, that's popular. No end to what's available in some areas.

If all else fails, a person can always try the moonwalk..... scratchchin

04/03/2013 new
(Quote) Ray-566531 said: The Greek and Croatian ethnic dances can be fun, plus there are mixed age groups in some areas. There's also ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

The Greek and Croatian ethnic dances can be fun, plus there are mixed age groups in some areas. There's also Polish dancing - ethnic style, that's popular. No end to what's available in some areas.

If all else fails, a person can always try the moonwalk.....

--hide--

I love the Polka!
04/03/2013 new
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: I love the Polka!
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

I love the Polka!
--hide--
So do I! biggrin
04/03/2013 new
I've spent most of my time dancing salsa, bachata, and Argentine tango. Very unique dances which most men wouldn't have a clue how to do. Probably most don't even know what a bachata is. laughing
Posts 51 - 60 of 111