Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

Apr 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: (Quote) Frank-410833 said: Who are the Cubs? You are soo sunny. Mus...
(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said:
Quote:
Frank-410833 said:

Who are the Cubs?

You are soo sunny. Must be a white sox fan, Or perhaps by your later post not a fan of baseball??
--hide--

Elizabeth,

I am a real fan of the ballparks of old. I am hoping before the Lord comes knocking I am able to see Wrigley Field and Fenway Park. I read where Wrigley will be undergoing some renovations but they will do it without destroying the past. I wish the White Sox would have done the same with Comiskey Park instead of building that new park. I don't know for sure but maybe it was not possible to renovate without destroying its historical past. Growing up, we got the White Sox games on radio in Houston. Bob Elston was a great radio personality. I know - that was before your time. Even though the Cubs have not recently been good on the field, they still draw near or over 2 million fans each year. Considering they play so many day games is amazing.

I will always remember watching the Cubs on WGN when Harry Cary and Steve Stone manned the broadcasting booth. What a character Harry was and Cub fans for generations to come will remember him.

The Yankees sold themselves out when they built New Yankee Stadium. I don't care how much it resembles the old, it is still not the same place where Babe Ruth hit home runs, Lou Gehrig played first, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle roamed centerfield, Yogi Berra was catching and Whitey Ford pitching.

Thank you Cubs and Red Sox for not destroying the past.

Blessings, Praying hug rose

Leon

Apr 21st 2013 new
Interesting perspective Leon. I hope you get your wish to see Wrigly. It really is a special place. Bring lots of money tho because it is barely an affordable adventure these days. I've sat in the bleachers when they were cheap and fun. Easy for kids to go and while away the hours. While it still has the charm, it's very commercial. I think they are fighting to keep the history while making necessary modernizations. If only the Cubs can repeat the magistrate of the Red Sox. Doesn't seem like it will be this year either.
Apr 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Elizabeth,I am a real fan of the ballparks of old. I am hoping before the Lord comes knockin...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Elizabeth,

I am a real fan of the ballparks of old. I am hoping before the Lord comes knocking I am able to see Wrigley Field and Fenway Park. I read where Wrigley will be undergoing some renovations but they will do it without destroying the past. I wish the White Sox would have done the same with Comiskey Park instead of building that new park. I don't know for sure but maybe it was not possible to renovate without destroying its historical past. Growing up, we got the White Sox games on radio in Houston. Bob Elston was a great radio personality. I know - that was before your time. Even though the Cubs have not recently been good on the field, they still draw near or over 2 million fans each year. Considering they play so many day games is amazing.

I will always remember watching the Cubs on WGN when Harry Cary and Steve Stone manned the broadcasting booth. What a character Harry was and Cub fans for generations to come will remember him.

The Yankees sold themselves out when they built New Yankee Stadium. I don't care how much it resembles the old, it is still not the same place where Babe Ruth hit home runs, Lou Gehrig played first, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle roamed centerfield, Yogi Berra was catching and Whitey Ford pitching.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--
Leon you are so right about the old parks,several years back they talked about tearing down Fenway and building a new modern park but cooler heads prevailed. There is so much history in the old parks, I've never been to Wrigley but do want to some day. There is something special about walking in the concourse in Fenway and seeing all the old brickwork, seeing the red seat in the bleachers where Ted Williams hit the longest home run. ( my dtr actually had that seat for a game we went to, and it was a long ways from home plate) they have such character that the modern comfortable ones can't duplicate. Fenway is so special, especially as seen this past weekend.
Apr 21st 2013 new

Apparently the Phillies didn't get my memo about winning whenever I drive up there. They lost 5-0 against the Cards Saturday night and Cliff Lee completely lost it in the 3rd inning, walking the bases loaded.

Apr 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Allen-311949 said: Apparently the Phillies didn't get my memo about winning whenever I drive up there. They lost...
(Quote) Allen-311949 said:

Apparently the Phillies didn't get my memo about winning whenever I drive up there. They lost 5-0 against the Cards Saturday night and Cliff Lee completely lost it in the 3rd inning, walking the bases loaded.

--hide--
oops...my bad. GO PHILLIES!!!

Apr 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Bob-644239 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: Elizabeth,I am a real fan of the ballparks of old. I am hopin...
(Quote) Bob-644239 said:
Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

Elizabeth,

Blessings,

Leon

Leon you are so right about the old parks,several years back they talked about tearing down Fenway and building a new modern park but cooler heads prevailed. There is so much history in the old parks, I've never been to Wrigley but do want to some day. There is something special about walking in the concourse in Fenway and seeing all the old brickwork, seeing the red seat in the bleachers where Ted Williams hit the longest home run. ( my dtr actually had that seat for a game we went to, and it was a long ways from home plate) they have such character that the modern comfortable ones can't duplicate. Fenway is so special, especially as seen this past weekend.
--hide--
I agree with you gentlemen about the older parks. They had character. Comerica Park is a nice enough modern stadium for my Tigers, but it can never truly replace old Tiger Stadium.

I am hoping to perhaps see a Hagerstown Suns game this summer. They have one of the oldest parks in pro baseball, dating I believe to the 1920s.
Apr 22nd 2013 new
Cardinals lose 7-3 to the Phillies! sad
Apr 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Edward-4511 said: I agree with you gentlemen about the older parks. They had character. Comerica Park is a nice enough modern stadi...
(Quote) Edward-4511 said: I agree with you gentlemen about the older parks. They had character. Comerica Park is a nice enough modern stadium for my Tigers, but it can never truly replace old Tiger Stadium.

I am hoping to perhaps see a Hagerstown Suns game this summer. They have one of the oldest parks in pro baseball, dating I believe to the 1920s.
--hide--
Edward I've been to a game at Hagerstown, it was a fun park, but we have the second oldest park here in Burlington that host a short season single A team. You get to sit and stretch out on concrete bleachers to enjoy a good game of baseball.
Apr 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) Bob-644239 said: (Quote) Edward-4511 said: I agree with you gentlemen about the older parks. They had character. Comerica Par...
(Quote) Bob-644239 said:
Quote:
Edward-4511 said: I agree with you gentlemen about the older parks. They had character. Comerica Park is a nice enough modern stadium for my Tigers, but it can never truly replace old Tiger Stadium.

Edward I've been to a game at Hagerstown, it was a fun park, but we have the second oldest park here in Burlington that host a short season single A team. You get to sit and stretch out on concrete bleachers to enjoy a good game of baseball.
--hide--
Hagerstown is a much shorter drive for me than coming up to Vermont. Only 2 or 3 hours east of me on I-68 and I-70.
Apr 23rd 2013 new
Cardinals win 3-2 over the Nationals! biggrin
Posts 61 - 70 of 200