Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Sean, Please, not yet another conspiracy theory. Ed
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Sean,

Please, not yet another conspiracy theory.

Ed

--hide--
www.youtube.com

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: There's cheaper ways to kill yourself, Kim Jong Un, why take out all your people in the proce...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

There's cheaper ways to kill yourself, Kim Jong Un, why take out all your people in the process?

I think that man is a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic, but an insane man with a nuke is more dangerous than a man with a nuke. I think that's what makes the situation so unsettling. From what we see, it looks like he truly beleives, his generals, and unfortunately the people of NK, truly believe that they can win against the South and against America.

Sure, they'll get a few good shots off, a nuke, even a small one - and theirs are estimated to be about the yeild of the Hiroshima blast. That's still 70,000 people dead in an instant. But they can't have that many, maybe ten battle ready? 20 if you want to be generous, and that's being really generous, and the delivery methods wouldn't land one in major State side based cities or military targets. And the tech for the delivery systems they do have would be easily shot down.

I'd still say they'd get one through, probably onto the South.

Kim Jong Il, his chest thumping was always sort of restrained, his son is making louder noises and I wonder if he's just a puppet. Yet, who in their right mind thinks they could stand a chance if they attacked America? Obama released the numbers of nukes ready to go with little stars and stripes on them. Its about 5,000.

The real question, is would China come to the party and defend NK?

10 years ago I would have said absolutely, relations were warm between the two communist nations, now it seems the Chinese are getting annoyed at Un's verbal tirades.

If the North nuked the South, I don't think the South could nuke back, but if the Japanese helped out with conventional bombing and maybe the Americans as well, then I don't think China would get involved, I don't htink it'd esculate beyond maybe a few nuclear blasts. If, however, America nuked the North, then China could get a bit titchy.

Then of course you get the added variable of what if the radiation drifts into China? Would they take that as an attack on their nation and launch against the States?

Kim Jong Un is a nutjob. A dangerous one. Whether his actions cause a nuclear spat remain to be seen, but China's behaviour towards them recently have sort of lent towards the fact that they wouldnt' get involved.

And really, China is doing quite well for itself, would they really risk nuclear destruction for North Korea? Their geographical size and population base would easily survive a minimal - moderate nuclear strike, but their infilstracture would collaspe, their resources would be difficult to spread,and they'd probably break down into a civil war splitting the country into many smaller countries that most wouldn't be sitting under a COmmunist style rule.

Quite frankly, I think America needs to do a back room deal with China, the both of them need to march in there and take the reigns from that morons, and then let the Chinese keep the country. [Cos I can't quite see them allowing an American initiated democracy being instilled so close to home].

As an asside, I read an interesting, but probably questionable article a while back, about how under Kim Jong Il all women who were found pregnant with triplets had to have an abortion, because some witch doctor told him that triplets would over throw their dear leader's legacy.

--hide--

I largely agree with your analysis, although I am even less worried about Chinese intervention. I don't know that they would have bothered to intervene 10 years ago, and I think they'd even be less inclined now. They did a lot of bleeding last time, and I don't know that they'd think it's worth it to do it again.

Sure, given a choice they'd rather have a communist buffer state between them and a U.S.-allied Korea, but on the other hand, China isn't really even pretending to follow true communism any more. They've absorbed Hong Kong back into the country, so I don't know that they'd see a land border with a unified capitalist Korea as all that threatening.

The Chinese military has been doing a lot of catching up with the U.S., but it doesn't have a quality parity yet. They'd probably prefer to delay a shooting war for another 10 years. And even then, they'd probably want it to be more worth their while than the maintenance of a crazy regime on their border.

I think it's questionable as to whether or not the U.S. would launch much of a nuclear retaliation. High political cost and not too many worthwhile targets. A lot of the NK military is awefullly close to Seoul, and the NK leadership obviously doesn't care about their own population, so threatening cities wouldn't be much of a pressure point. We might drop a nuke or two somewhere on the principle that anybody who uses them must expect a response in kind, but I wouldn't bet the bank on it.

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: There's cheaper ways to kill yourself, Kim Jong Un, why take out all your people in the proce...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

There's cheaper ways to kill yourself, Kim Jong Un, why take out all your people in the process?

I think that man is a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic, but an insane man with a nuke is more dangerous than a man with a nuke. I think that's what makes the situation so unsettling. From what we see, it looks like he truly beleives, his generals, and unfortunately the people of NK, truly believe that they can win against the South and against America.

Sure, they'll get a few good shots off, a nuke, even a small one - and theirs are estimated to be about the yeild of the Hiroshima blast. That's still 70,000 people dead in an instant. But they can't have that many, maybe ten battle ready? 20 if you want to be generous, and that's being really generous, and the delivery methods wouldn't land one in major State side based cities or military targets. And the tech for the delivery systems they do have would be easily shot down.

I'd still say they'd get one through, probably onto the South.

Kim Jong Il, his chest thumping was always sort of restrained, his son is making louder noises and I wonder if he's just a puppet. Yet, who in their right mind thinks they could stand a chance if they attacked America? Obama released the numbers of nukes ready to go with little stars and stripes on them. Its about 5,000.

The real question, is would China come to the party and defend NK?

10 years ago I would have said absolutely, relations were warm between the two communist nations, now it seems the Chinese are getting annoyed at Un's verbal tirades.

If the North nuked the South, I don't think the South could nuke back, but if the Japanese helped out with conventional bombing and maybe the Americans as well, then I don't think China would get involved, I don't htink it'd esculate beyond maybe a few nuclear blasts. If, however, America nuked the North, then China could get a bit titchy.

Then of course you get the added variable of what if the radiation drifts into China? Would they take that as an attack on their nation and launch against the States?

Kim Jong Un is a nutjob. A dangerous one. Whether his actions cause a nuclear spat remain to be seen, but China's behaviour towards them recently have sort of lent towards the fact that they wouldnt' get involved.

And really, China is doing quite well for itself, would they really risk nuclear destruction for North Korea? Their geographical size and population base would easily survive a minimal - moderate nuclear strike, but their infilstracture would collaspe, their resources would be difficult to spread,and they'd probably break down into a civil war splitting the country into many smaller countries that most wouldn't be sitting under a COmmunist style rule.

Quite frankly, I think America needs to do a back room deal with China, the both of them need to march in there and take the reigns from that morons, and then let the Chinese keep the country. [Cos I can't quite see them allowing an American initiated democracy being instilled so close to home].

As an asside, I read an interesting, but probably questionable article a while back, about how under Kim Jong Il all women who were found pregnant with triplets had to have an abortion, because some witch doctor told him that triplets would over throw their dear leader's legacy.

--hide--

Hi Naomi et alia,

I've read the same thing about the former Kim and triplets. In this respect, if true, Kim is not unlike King Herod circa 2000 years ago. Or, maybe it's propaganda from North Korea to tell others that Kim wasn't operating with a full deck of cards, and others should take care. Contrived mental instability as a weapon. We'll probably never know, of course.

I realize that it is a dangerous game to mess with nations whose leaders aren't quite sane. And there's also the problem of Kim's fanatical military, who might be sorely tempted to take matters into their own hands. Nevertheless, we need to draw a line somewhere. The United States can't kowtow to a bunch of blackmailers and extortionists. I suggest we up the ante a bit, and see what happens. A suggestion of a little show of force from our side might suggest to the North Koreans that we will no longer play their game.

James ☺

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: (Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Paul et alia,I did mention it ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Quote:
James-17080 said:

Hi Paul et alia,

I did mention it ;-)

James ☺

Yes, you did!

--hide--

laughing I did something right today. At least I didn't get a date off by ≈ 1000 years. I'm still rankled that I did that boggled

James ☺

Apr 1st 2013 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: I did something right today. At least I didn't get a date off by ≈ 1000 years. ...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

I did something right today. At least I didn't get a date off by ≈ 1000 years. I'm still rankled that I did that

James ☺

--hide--

Don't be rankled, James. Just accept the fact that as you age, things like that will happen more and more even if the Lord is good enough to leave you with most of your mental faculties until the end.

Heck, I was in a minor auto accident a couple of weeks ago; not my fault. I had two cameras on me; the one on my IPhone and a Nikon Coolpix; and I did not take a single picture on the scene. Forgot to get witness statements and even messed up copying some of the required info. I was so mad at the driver for just pulling out of an illegal parking spot. Got even madder because my car sustained the worst damage and I was willing to forget it since it is 12+ years old. But the guy insisted because he did not want to spend maybe a couple hours of his own time and buying a small can of touch paint to reapir the very minor damage to his car.

I used to be able to handle things like that without batting an eye. Not anymore.

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: (Quote) James-17080 said: I did something right today. At least I d...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Quote:
James-17080 said:

I did something right today. At least I didn't get a date off by ≈ 1000 years. I'm still rankled that I did that

James ☺

Don't be rankled, James. Just accept the fact that as you age, things like that will happen more and more even if the Lord is good enough to leave you with most of your mental faculties until the end.

Heck, I was in a minor auto accident a couple of weeks ago; not my fault. I had two cameras on me; the one on my IPhone and a Nikon Coolpix; and I did not take a single picture on the scene. Forgot to get witness statements and even messed up copying some of the required info. I was so mad at the driver for just pulling out of an illegal parking spot. Got even madder because my car sustained the worst damage and I was willing to forget it since it is 12+ years old. But the guy insisted because he did not want to spend maybe a couple hours of his own time and buying a small can of touch paint to reapir the very minor damage to his car.

I used to be able to handle things like that without batting an eye. Not anymore.

--hide--

Hi Paul et alia,

Paul, you're okay, right? Did you get injured?

Hm. A knucklehead pulls out of an illegal parking spot. Where were the cops? Make a U-turn, and they're all around. Get into an accident, and they're nowhere to be seen.

I don't worry about driving anymore, but I did glance and the first problem in the Graduate Record Exam in mathematics. Problem 1: Find the arc length of a circle of radius 1 from 0 ≤ φ ≤ π. I thought for a moment, and I got the answer in my head. The answer is π.

Last night, I was messing around with a simple problem in theoretical mechanics. Part of the problem involved finding the distance from the center of a square to the corner. For some reason, the gears wouldn't work, and I had a devil of a time figuring out that the distance was (1/2)∙sqrt(2)∙s, assuming s is the length of the side of the square.

I dunno, Paul. They say as we get older, we get wiser. In my case, I just get dumber. And that's depressing, at least a little bit.

James ☺

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Sean, Please, not yet another conspiracy theory. Ed
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Sean,

Please, not yet another conspiracy theory.

Ed

--hide--

It's not "conspiracy theory" if you pay attention to non-Western media. What's the point of the Asia pivot? Obama's a very dangerous man, crazier than even GW Bush.

Apr 2nd 2013 new

Well I definitely agree with your comment that ...... "Obama's a very dangerous man,"

Ed

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: www.youtube.com
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

www.youtube.com

--hide--

Yeah...London and Wall Street are the real world empire and their ancestors go back to the banking families of Florence, Genoa, Venice and other Italian city-states. It's has been incredibly difficult for countries to try to break free of this empire. A major difficulty is that most people don't even know that such an empire exists. US foreign policy isn't American at all. China and Russia should be major allies, but in the realm of geopolitics they're threats to the empire of London and lower Manhattan.

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfEBupAeo4 <...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

Quote:
Bernard-2709 said:

www.youtube.com

Yeah...London and Wall Street are the real world empire and their ancestors go back to the banking families of Florence, Genoa, Venice and other Italian city-states. It's has been incredibly difficult for countries to try to break free of this empire. A major difficulty is that most people don't even know that such an empire exists. US foreign policy isn't American at all. China and Russia should be major allies, but in the realm of geopolitics they're threats to the empire of London and lower Manhattan.

--hide--
That's right.When people don't understand something,they call it a conspiracy and write it off,or label you as crazy.

Posts 21 - 30 of 110