Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 2nd 2013 new

I am one arguing against an "everything is a conspiracy" mentality. It isn't necessary to employ conspiracy theories in order to study and sort out what is happening with North Korea.

Ed

Apr 2nd 2013 new
(Quote) Sean-851370 said: US foreign policy isn't American at all. China and Russia should be major allies, but in the re...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

US foreign policy isn't American at all. China and Russia should be major allies, but in the realm of geopolitics they're threats to the empire of London and lower Manhattan.

--hide--
Okay, I'll bite. Why "should" China and Russia be major allies? Both are 2nd tier powers angling to move into the top rank. Neither regime owes anything to the Enlightenment ideals of representative democracy or classical liberalism; they are authoritarian and paranoid by nature and have no love for the West. North Korea is a tiny starved country run by a delusional whack-job. They have yet to successfully test a nuclear weapon, despite their bluster, and they have only barely managed to launch rockets past Japan. They are zero threat to the US directly. I suspect very strongly this is just saber-rattling to show Kim's own people how "strong" he is and how "determined to stand up to the Imperialist Forces and the Puppet Group."
Apr 2nd 2013 new

In 1990, while my husband was stationed there, I lived in South Korea for 10 months. Whenever S Korean forces held military exercises, either singly or jointly with the US forces, N Korea would protest, make claims of attack plots against them. It was explained to us that it was a "show" repeated every time, with no forward movement toward actual aggression. Most bullies do act that way--huff and puff and shake a fist trying to instil fear. However, how a bully's target reacts has a lot to do with what happens next. Running in fear or showing some sort of weakness can make the bully either laugh and stay in place or laugh and seize the opportunity to give someone a good pummeling. If the target stands too strongly, leaning forward toward the bully too far, the bully may have to lash out in defense of pride, whether he really wanted to throw the punch or not. It's a crazy dance of strategy and psychology...and guessing. And when the bully is of questionable mental health, the dance is all the more unpredictable.

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I am one arguing against an "everything is a conspiracy" mentality.
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I am one arguing against an "everything is a conspiracy" mentality. It isn't necessary to employ conspiracy theories in order to study and sort out what is happening with North Korea.

Ed

--hide--

What's a conspiracy theory? Anything that doesn't appear in an American newspaper? Are Russia Today and Press TV evil because they're not American?

Apr 2nd 2013 new
That North Korean king Kim is now going to regenerate the nuclear plants. He is trouble, man a dangerous creature.
Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: That's right.When people don't understand something,they call it a conspiracy and write i...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

That's right.When people don't understand something,they call it a conspiracy and write it off,or label you as crazy.

--hide--

Yep...awareness of the real issues is greater outside the US. Americans live in a hermetically-sealed container.

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Edward-736480 said: Okay, I'll bite. Why "should" China and Russia be major allies? Both are 2nd tier powers ...
(Quote) Edward-736480 said: Okay, I'll bite. Why "should" China and Russia be major allies? Both are 2nd tier powers angling to move into the top rank. Neither regime owes anything to the Enlightenment ideals of representative democracy or classical liberalism; they are authoritarian and paranoid by nature and have no love for the West. North Korea is a tiny starved country run by a delusional whack-job. They have yet to successfully test a nuclear weapon, despite their bluster, and they have only barely managed to launch rockets past Japan. They are zero threat to the US directly. I suspect very strongly this is just saber-rattling to show Kim's own people how "strong" he is and how "determined to stand up to the Imperialist Forces and the Puppet Group."
--hide--

China and Russia should be first-rate world powers and partners of the US. But the foreign policy of the US is largely that of the Anglo-American financial empire, which is determined to take down China and Russia because those nations are daring to show independence. Large nation-states are the main threat to the world empire of finance capitalism. No doubt in my mind that the economic rise of China has been sabotaged as much as possible, a project that has involved the offshoring of much manufacturing capacity from the US and Europe to China in order to exploit slave labor. With the US and the euro project going down the tubes, China's export markets are drying up. Meanwhile, Nato and the West are cutting off China's sources of raw materials in Africa. That's the real problem of globalization: once you get in, you can't get out. It's like a cult really.

Apr 2nd 2013 new

I will leave you to believe whatever you wish.

Ed

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I will leave you to believe whatever you wish. Ed
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I will leave you to believe whatever you wish.

Ed

--hide--

Well, what do you believe? That we live in a world where everything happens randomly?

Apr 2nd 2013 new
To a certain extent, yes. And while you accuse the rest of us of bias against non-US news sources, I have to say you sound lacking in critical appraisal of *non* US outlets. My statements regarding China and Russia being anti-democratic and authoritarian stand. Feel free to blame the Bavarian Illuminati or whomever, if you like, but I reserve my own right to believe that the world is a messier, more chaotic place than you seem comfortable with.
Posts 31 - 40 of 110