Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I am very sensitive to light, color and how it is used visually (and psychologically how it may a...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I am very sensitive to light, color and how it is used visually (and psychologically how it may affect persons) since I am an artist. I look forward to being able to use it more in teaching art again soon. I just love teaching it... and loved it last summer.

--hide--

The color of a child's clothes can affects them psychologically? scratchchin

Colors don't carry any inherent meaning - we as a culture give them meaning ourselves. Maybe the girls picked out those dresses themselves. As long as clothes are modest, the color really doesn't matter.

On a practical note, I don't like to wear black simply because it seems to pick up a lot of lint.

Apr 2nd 2013 new

Marian, you've hit a soft spot ~ and a sore spot ~ here! At our Easter Vigil Service, a sweet little 5 yr old went up to receive a blessing from Father at commuion. She was wearing a floor length white dress and looked so precious. On the other hand, several teens went to communion inappropriately garbed in black leggings - with nothing to cover their derrieres! What are they (and their mothers!) thinking! I long for the days when people chose their church clothes with consideration. I'm already dreading the warm summer months when tank tops and short shorts will make their appearance at Mass. It's so unnecessary for the brief hour that we spend there. Okay - so I'm old, but it's a sad commentary on our times that the younger generations are being brought up to think that anything goes - as long as it's 'in'!

On a brighter note, my eldest granddaughter was thrilled when I bought her elbow length opera gloves for her Jr. prom. She was the only one with them, and got many compliments from her friends who hadn't thought to do the same. Made sure to get another pair for her Sr. prom as well. Fortunately, she has an inate sense of what makes an outfit complete and appropriate to the occasion. And just an aside to Kevin - that was a 'cheesy' remark about the dotted swiss! laughing

And I did forsake the dark winter colors for Easter and went with a soft lavender sweater and silk floral scarf. It's still a bit chilly here, and the blessing of the Pascal fire is initiated outside of the church. Easter blessings all around and thanks for letting me vent! wave hug

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: I have no fashion sense. None. I only ever wear black, and the only colour in my outfits is usual...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I have no fashion sense. None. I only ever wear black, and the only colour in my outfits is usually the prints on my teeshirts - all bar one are Transformers related [the bar one is a zombie one ^__^]

I know the basics, don't mix primary colours, don't wear different prints top and bottom, don't mix horizontal and vertical lines, don't wear tights as pants, don't wear socks with sandals.

Plus, its hard to find good, modest clothing in my size. I mean, who thinks an outfit that looks great at size 10 would translate well to someone who's a size 26. [I'm not that big, I'm just using as an example, because that seems to be the trend, at least down here, common splice.

--hide--

Who says you can't wear socks with sandals??!! wink What if your feet get cold? eyebrow

You see it here in the northland quite often... embarassed

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Let's see, do I wear the dark grey suit or the dark brown. Decisions, decisions.
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Let's see, do I wear the dark grey suit or the dark brown. Decisions, decisions.

--hide--
laughing laughing

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: The color of a child's clothes can affects them psychologically? Colors don'...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

The color of a child's clothes can affects them psychologically?

Colors don't carry any inherent meaning - we as a culture give them meaning ourselves. Maybe the girls picked out those dresses themselves. As long as clothes are modest, the color really doesn't matter.

On a practical note, I don't like to wear black simply because it seems to pick up a lot of lint.

--hide--

I agree about the lint!

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I am very sensitive to light, color and how it is...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I am very sensitive to light, color and how it is used visually (and psychologically how it may affect persons) since I am an artist. I look forward to being able to use it more in teaching art again soon. I just love teaching it... and loved it last summer.

The color of a child's clothes can affects them psychologically?

--hide--

You stated:

"The color of a child's clothes can affects them psychologically?"

I am not sure what this means to you. Some persons are sensitive to color. If you are not, then you might not understand that. It is something intuitive and some people here seemed to understand. It seems that you did not understand me and I doubt there is anything I can say to change that but let me know what you did not understand.

I will only say this: I am from an ancient time and culture when little girls wore pastels, not black. That is the extent of that. Other than that I have been reminiscing about fabrics we enjoyed wearing while growing up and even now. If it is meaningless to you, then it is meaningless to you.

I am an artist and I was sharing a tiny amount of my memories, my personal artistic and intuitive process with those who care to share it.

HOWEVER, If you notice that we use colors in the liturgy,then you would note that colors are meant to have meaning.

Why else would we change the colors during various liturgies around the liturgical year?

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I was in mass and noticed two little...
(Quote) Laura-695247 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Last night I was in mass and noticed two little girls who were wearing black floral print dresses. I feel sad because so many persons think black is a color and seem to think it is wearable on Easter Sunday. Some adults and their mom was wearing black in her ourtfit too.

These children will never know the beautiful dresses we girls grew up wearing that were made of beautiful fabrics and that have colors like light yellow, light blue, pink chiffon, and other beautiful linens and so on. OK maybe theyr will, but not like some of us from an earlier time did.

I can't believe how black is in so many boldly colored outfits and seems to be fashionable for many people. I will always love ditsy prints(small florals) and pastels in spring. I wore a light yellow top with a light pastel paisley skirt. I did nto buy it for the easter holiday, I already had it but I just wish some of the most feminine clothes would make a full comeback. I know some are trying to return.

There is a lot more feminine dresses that are back, now that I think about it- but I can't wrap my mind around dressing a child in black, even if there are flowers on the fabric.

Maybe they are preping to be nuns!

(Just kidding Marian)! Black might be a generation thing. Their parents might be around my age or younger. Since a teen I have always worn a lot of black, back when wearing black was considered an outrage. I don't know. I feel comfortable in black. Maybe it hides cool-aid spills?

--hide--

YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE HIT THE NAIL SQUARELY ON THE HEAD!

I am certain it is generational. That is why I said I am from an ancient time... link when little girls wore pastels.

Apr 3rd 2013 new

Finding nice clothes in our house is always a struggle. I try not to give my girls another reason to focus on themselves and their looks and their clothes, so we all find something out of the closet to wear. Too cold for sandals, so I ended up in black boots - plenty of black on everyone I think. But we didn't stand out since the church was full of the Easter bonnet type people in pastels all the way down to the boy in sweats who brought up the gifts.

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Katherine-137883 said: Finding nice clothes in our house is always a struggle. I try not to give my girls another re...
(Quote) Katherine-137883 said:

Finding nice clothes in our house is always a struggle. I try not to give my girls another reason to focus on themselves and their looks and their clothes, so we all find something out of the closet to wear. Too cold for sandals, so I ended up in black boots - plenty of black on everyone I think. But we didn't stand out since the church was full of the Easter bonnet type people in pastels all the way down to the boy in sweats who brought up the gifts.

--hide--

Well black is the color of cool---otherwise Simon Cowell would not wear it.

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Ria-570234 said: Marian, you've hit a soft spot ~ and a sore spot ~ here! At our Easter Vigil Service, a sweet l...
(Quote) Ria-570234 said:

Marian, you've hit a soft spot ~ and a sore spot ~ here! At our Easter Vigil Service, a sweet little 5 yr old went up to receive a blessing from Father at commuion. She was wearing a floor length white dress and looked so precious. On the other hand, several teens went to communion inappropriately garbed in black leggings - with nothing to cover their derrieres! What are they (and their mothers!) thinking! I long for the days when people chose their church clothes with consideration. I'm already dreading the warm summer months when tank tops and short shorts will make their appearance at Mass. It's so unnecessary for the brief hour that we spend there. Okay - so I'm old, but it's a sad commentary on our times that the younger generations are being brought up to think that anything goes - as long as it's 'in'!

On a brighter note, my eldest granddaughter was thrilled when I bought her elbow length opera gloves for her Jr. prom. She was the only one with them, and got many compliments from her friends who hadn't thought to do the same. Made sure to get another pair for her Sr. prom as well. Fortunately, she has an inate sense of what makes an outfit complete and appropriate to the occasion. And just an aside to Kevin - that was a 'cheesy' remark about the dotted swiss!

And I did forsake the dark winter colors for Easter and went with a soft lavender sweater and silk floral scarf. It's still a bit chilly here, and the blessing of the Pascal fire is initiated outside of the church. Easter blessings all around and thanks for letting me vent!

--hide--

Where have you been? I haven't seen you in ages!

I do have to say that as I suspected, this color thing is generational. I hope it improves. Maybe this summer some gals will see something new out there and it will be an improvement.

We had beautiful and odd weather here EasterSunday. We had thundershowers which is new for us at this time of year. I have fond memories of sherbert colors and easter egg colors on small children at this time of year and that is what motivated this thread. I fear some may have mistunderstood my intuitive ramblings. Those who misunderstood- no doubt did not keep reading as we began to discuss fabrics as well..... OH WELL. heartbeat

WHERE have you been Ria?

Posts 51 - 60 of 104