Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Martha-945168 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I agree and understand. I was trying t...
(Quote) Martha-945168 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I agree and understand. I was trying to imagine how as a 4 year old it would have affected me to wear that print with the back groud in black. That was how I managed to get it onto a personal level. Otherwise they looked very cute. Gils are wearing black all of the time now. I don't take notice but thought about how it was when I was yong in ANCIENT TIMES where we wore beautiful shades like yellow. I was blessed to have some beautiful yellow and pastel dresses. In 8th grade I had a VERY awesome yellow dress that was very flattering. I still have it. I just have great memories of wearing pretty pastels.

I love to see girls wearing pretty pastels colors too.

--hide--

I normally don't notice this much or at all, but because it was Easter I decided to notice a little more to see what moms are doing in this regard in today's world.

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Kevin-40666 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Do you remember anything your mom wore t...
(Quote) Kevin-40666 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Do you remember anything your mom wore to church back then? Hats? and so on?

Mine never wore more than one hat to church.

--hide--

You mean at one time, yes?

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: (Quote) Kevin-40666 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: <...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Quote:
Kevin-40666 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Mine never wore more than one hat to church.

You mean at one time, yes?

--hide--

Yes, she always wore only one hat at a time,

rather than wearing hats to church. smile

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Thanks Barbara. Some girls who had moms who sewed for them probably have more memories li...

Thanks Barbara. Some girls who had moms who sewed for them probably have more memories like this. I sewed my own clothes as I learned in about 8th grade. i am curious about your pink dress and what youmeant by layers, you mean slips and layers of fabric?

--hide--

Marian, The pastel pink dress!

It had a little rounded collar and short puffed sleeves, the top portion was silky.
At the waist going downward there was a big ruffle/layer, then a second, then a third. Probably looked like little bo peep! My can can made it stand out so pretty---loved to wear that can can!!! Oh, but I thought it was the prettiest dress ever! The white lacy hat was curved close to my head, as the silky ribbons were tied in a bow and the ends fell gracefully down to touch my dress. When My picture was taken, I wanted to "be sure" they saw my new soft white gloves, so I held up my hands part way and had a BIG smile! Now lets not forget the lace on the white socks, and the shiney new mary janes!
I was probably 7 or 8, Can you see it?

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Do you remember anything your mom wore to church back then? Hats? and so on?

--hide--

Marian, My mother is now 93 and doing well.

Yes, she always had on a nice, conservative, dress with a hat and my dad always wore a suit and tie for Church. All females wore dresses (below the knee) and males, (even young boys) wore dress slacks, light colored shirt and a tie to church! There was a very nice store called "The Dixie" who had the best selection of hats. The three of us young girls were allowed "one" hat for the year and that was for Easter, so it was "special" and you selected carefully.! It was a treat to even go to the Dixie and look! We wore our hats thru the Spring and Summer. When it got to be Fall we wore a small round chapel cap made out of black lace, only the older girls could wear the longer veil type (my older sisters). Mother had several hats, but it was a collection from over the years.
You definately had "church clothes", school clothes, and play clothes. The same with shoes, three/four pairs, so when your school shoes started to wear, they were then the play shoes (along with the tennis shoes)!
Oh, and I had never heard the word teenager when I was young, we had the "little kids" and the "big kids". We had rules and went by them, they created a good foundation to build on. I treasure those years of being young and all the nice memories that went with it!

Apr 3rd 2013 new

I remember mom and dad always dressed for church, he in his church clothes, suit and tie,and polished shoes, Mother went to the early Mass,but dressed very nice.They alsways had us dressed in the frilly dresses, hats and mary janes, the boys dressed in jackets, dark pants and ties, and of course polished shoes.

When my daughter was younger, i dressed her in the beautiful dresses with the mary janes, pocketbook and hat, and my son was dressed in a navy blue suit with dark shoes. I have a few pictures, and wish there were more pictures.

I remember when a Mr. Gretzsky bought 3 party dresses when he came back from New York City, for my sister, cousin and me. My mother kept these dresses for years but some how they disappeared. Oh well, memories!

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Helen-881220 said: I remember mom and dad always dressed for church, he in his church clothes, suit and tie,and poli...
(Quote) Helen-881220 said:

I remember mom and dad always dressed for church, he in his church clothes, suit and tie,and polished shoes, Mother went to the early Mass,but dressed very nice.They alsways had us dressed in the frilly dresses, hats and mary janes, the boys dressed in jackets, dark pants and ties, and of course polished shoes.

When my daughter was younger, i dressed her in the beautiful dresses with the mary janes, pocketbook and hat, and my son was dressed in a navy blue suit with dark shoes. I have a few pictures, and wish there were more pictures.

I remember when a Mr. Gretzsky bought 3 party dresses when he came back from New York City, for my sister, cousin and me. My mother kept these dresses for years but some how they disappeared. Oh well, memories!

--hide--

Helen, YES, the polished shoes were a must!
I remember Dad shining those shoes to a high buff! The bottoms better be clean too, because the people behind you could see the bottom of your shoes when you were kneeling.

*I do remember once, a older lady had forgotten to take the price tag off the bottom of her shoes, we could see it when she was kneeling at the alter rail!

Apr 3rd 2013 new

My grandmother always kept herself in her Sunday best also. I so remember her beautiful blue dress with a little collar, her Sunday hat and short white gloves.

She was born in 1900, and her husband died in 1950, and she was left with one young son (15) to milk the dairy cows, feed the livstock and grow corn for the cattle. Her other 4 sons were serving in WWII, she was the matriach of the family, much loved by all her sons and daughters.

She was the one that instilled dressing on the Lord's Day! Every Lord' Day!

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I was in mass and noticed two little girls who were wearing black floral print dresses...

Last night I was in mass and noticed two little girls who were wearing black floral print dresses. I feel sad because so many persons think black is a color and seem to think it is wearable on Easter Sunday. Some adults and their mom was wearing black in her ourtfit too.

These children will never know the beautiful dresses we girls grew up wearing that were made of beautiful fabrics and that have colors like light yellow, light blue, pink chiffon, and other beautiful linens and so on. OK maybe theyr will, but not like some of us from an earlier time did.

I can't believe how black is in so many boldly colored outfits and seems to be fashionable for many people. I will always love ditsy prints(small florals) and pastels in spring. I wore a light yellow top with a light pastel paisley skirt. I did nto buy it for the easter holiday, I already had it but I just wish some of the most feminine clothes would make a full comeback. I know some are trying to return.

There is a lot more feminine dresses that are back, now that I think about it- but I can't wrap my mind around dressing a child in black, even if there are flowers on the fabric.

--hide--

I have 3 sisters and every Easter we would decide who would get to wear what hat:) We also wore gloves, ya I'm that old lol! We always had a pretty spring dress with our Easter bonnets and little white patent leather shoes. It was really exciting when I got old enough I got a little heel on the shoes biggrin I'm like you, I still like my springtime outfits. I love white, so this year it was a little chilly so I wore a white fitted cardigan sweater with a white cotton skirt with lace trim and a gossimer gold scarf. I matched the priest lol!
I had boys so I was limited but they always had a new suit and tie. When they were little they had light blue or light green suits, so I got the color in that way:)
I was reading an article just today about black wedding gowns. They showed quite a few pictures and the dresses were very beautiful but....I don't know....
At my son's wedding the bride wore white but her maids wore black and I really didn't like them. I prefer color. My other daughter-in-law always wears black, she's into the Goth thing, but she even married in white.

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I was in mass and noticed two little ...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Last night I was in mass and noticed two little girls who were wearing black floral print dresses. I feel sad because so many persons think black is a color and seem to think it is wearable on Easter Sunday. Some adults and their mom was wearing black in her ourtfit too.

These children will never know the beautiful dresses we girls grew up wearing that were made of beautiful fabrics and that have colors like light yellow, light blue, pink chiffon, and other beautiful linens and so on. OK maybe theyr will, but not like some of us from an earlier time did.

I can't believe how black is in so many boldly colored outfits and seems to be fashionable for many people. I will always love ditsy prints(small florals) and pastels in spring. I wore a light yellow top with a light pastel paisley skirt. I did nto buy it for the easter holiday, I already had it but I just wish some of the most feminine clothes would make a full comeback. I know some are trying to return.

There is a lot more feminine dresses that are back, now that I think about it- but I can't wrap my mind around dressing a child in black, even if there are flowers on the fabric.

I have 3 sisters and every Easter we would decide who would get to wear what hat:) We also wore gloves, ya I'm that old lol! We always had a pretty spring dress with our Easter bonnets and little white patent leather shoes. It was really exciting when I got old enough I got a little heel on the shoes I'm like you, I still like my springtime outfits. I love white, so this year it was a little chilly so I wore a white fitted cardigan sweater with a white cotton skirt with lace trim and a gossimer gold scarf. I matched the priest lol!
I had boys so I was limited but they always had a new suit and tie. When they were little they had light blue or light green suits, so I got the color in that way:)
I was reading an article just today about black wedding gowns. They showed quite a few pictures and the dresses were very beautiful but....I don't know....
At my son's wedding the bride wore white but her maids wore black and I really didn't like them. I prefer color. My other daughter-in-law always wears black, she's into the Goth thing, but she even married in white.

--hide--

LAura do you have an old picture of you girls dressed up? I bet it would be beautiful! gardener

Posts 71 - 80 of 104