Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Some girls who had moms who sewed for the...
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Some girls who had moms who sewed for them probably have more memories like this. I sewed my own clothes as I learned in about 8th grade. i am curious about your pink dress and what youmeant by layers, you mean slips and layers of fabric?

Marian, I too, began sewing around 8th grade, and I still like to make things, but mostly for my girls or grandkids. I love to make their Halloween costumes, pinafores, and doll clothes.

And as for the dotted swiss curtains?? Well, I made pastel blue dotted swiss curtains for the bathroom, and then when my girls were 2 and 5, I was short on money, so I used the old curtains to make "Blue Fairy" costumes for both girls! Wands out of aluminum foil. Such a thrifty Mama!!

Yes, my mom always had my sister and me in pastel dresses for Easter, and she always got out that white shoe polish (that had the slanted top that looked like the old LePage's glue top) to spruce up our shoes. We did have little purses and gloves, hats, and bows in our hair (mine was in braids). My favorite year was when my Aunt Shirley in New York sent me the softest white skull hat with rhinestones, that tied under the chin, AND a matching muffler. It was maybe white rabbit's fur. My dad was out of work at the time, and I felt like a princess, even though I had on my cousin's hand-me-down dress...

--hide--

THANK YOU Beverly for sharing your memories and how much the gestures of your parents and Aunt meant to you! I received some dresses too and I enjoyed wearing them so much!
Your Blue Fairy Costume story is wonderful!

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: What is a can can? a slip? I wish...

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

What is a can can? a slip? I wish I could see a picture Barbara! Please!!!!!! YES I can see it and want to see a picture!!!!!

Marian, I think that she means what my family called a "petticoat"--you know, the kind that was made of netting material, and worn under full skirts to make them "poof out"! My other Aunt Meridith, sewed them for all of the girl cousins one year as Christmas gifts (instead of pj's that year!), and we DID use them to do the Can-Can!!!

--hide--

YOU CERTAINLY HAVE wonderful memories! How wonderful to hear about these!

Apr 5th 2013 new

I may be doing some sewing this summer for myself and maybe for a foster child I am working with.... This thread has been an inspiration for me and I hope for others who love to sew and who appreciate these various beautiful types of things...

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Do you remember anything your mom wore to church back then? Hats? and so on?
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Do you remember anything your mom wore to church back then? Hats? and so on?

--hide--
My mother and Aunt Irene always wore a hat to church, and they were beautiful women. My mother had a number of hats with netting veils that would come down over her forehead. My three favorite ones were a navy blue one with velvel leaves and small rhinestones; a cream color one with a rose colored flower; and a light moss green one that just had several folds of fabric across the top. She mostly wore the navy one because it matched her Navy Blue dress coat. She wore the green hat with a matching suit and a silky white blouse. The Cream hat she wore with a red suit and a red polka dotted blouse that had small red jewel type buttons. It was sheer and she always had a slip underneathe. With her black heels, jet black hair and blue eyes, she was a KNOCKOUT! heartbeat faint

I still have the red suit and polka dotted blouse in my cedar chest, along with the silk nightgown and matching dressing gown robe that she wore on her honeymoon in 1942. It is full length pink, with a tulip hem, in a small print of flower bouquets. The best part of the fabric is that the flower bouquets are tied with blue ribbons that curl around and have "Yes" and "No" printed on them! She bought it at City of Paris in San Francisco--it was her only "trousseau" item! embarassed

My favorite dress, though, was one that had "capped" sleeves and a mandarin type neckline. It was Ashes of Roses color....She's still a pretty woman at 92! And yes, she wore a pink hat to Mass this Easter!

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Kevin-40666 said: Is a swiss dresss one with holes in it ?
(Quote) Kevin-40666 said:

Is a swiss dresss one with holes in it ?

--hide--
Yes, it's a holey one....

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Do you remember anything your mom wor...

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Do you remember anything your mom wore to church back then? Hats? and so on?

My mother and Aunt Irene always wore a hat to church, and they were beautiful women. My mother had a number of hats with netting veils that would come down over her forehead. My three favorite ones were a navy blue one with velvel leaves and small rhinestones; a cream color one with a rose colored flower; and a light moss green one that just had several folds of fabric across the top. She mostly wore the navy one because it matched her Navy Blue dress coat. She wore the green hat with a matching suit and a silky white blouse. The Cream hat she wore with a red suit and a red polka dotted blouse that had small red jewel type buttons. It was sheer and she always had a slip underneathe. With her black heels, jet black hair and blue eyes, she was a KNOCKOUT!

I still have the red suit and polka dotted blouse in my cedar chest, along with the silk nightgown and matching dressing gown robe that she wore on her honeymoon in 1942. It is full length pink, with a tulip hem, in a small print of flower bouquets. The best part of the fabric is that the flower bouquets are tied with blue ribbons that curl around and have "Yes" and "No" printed on them! She bought it at City of Paris in San Francisco--it was her only "trousseau" item!

My favorite dress, though, was one that had "capped" sleeves and a mandarin type neckline. It was Ashes of Roses color....She's still a pretty woman at 92! And yes, she wore a pink hat to Mass this Easter!

--hide--

These outfits sound just beautiful! The red blouse and the sheer fabric. I can imagine the nightgown is amazing with yes and no on it!? I LOVE THIS It sounds funny and sweet! It sounds like clothes were really made to flatter a woman in those days. They were more formed and more properly designed and fitted. I WOULD love to see pictures of these items! It is enchanting to read this!!! Now that I think of it my mom once had a red wool dress that had a slimskirt and was made of very fine wool and finished with a silk ribbon in placed on the top. I don't think I ever saw her wear it.

I am enchanted !

Apr 5th 2013 new

Marian, I just saw a teaser for the newish movie "Parental Guidance" and the little granddaughter comes out of the dressing room wearing a black dress, and the grandmother laments:

She looks like a 10 year old widow!

That is so right! That is why little girls shouldn't wear black.

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Kevin-40666 said: Is a swiss dresss one with holes in it ?
(Quote) Kevin-40666 said:

--hide--

You're thinking of eyelet.

Apr 5th 2013 new

We always got at least a new dress, possibly a new spring coat. We wore gloves & a hat back in the 50's & early 60's, too. It was always such a treat to wear our new clothes on Easter Sunday & look around

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Carol-737878 said: (Quote) Kevin-40666 said: Is a swiss dresss one with holes in it ...
(Quote) Carol-737878 said:

Quote:
Kevin-40666 said:

You're thinking of eyelet.

--hide--

Now that I read this post, that is what I am thinking of.

What I was thinking of is Swiss cheese, which is making me hungry. smile

Posts 91 - 100 of 104