Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Why do we fall for looks I know its a big part but why cant we just fall in love withe iner person?

Apr 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jaime-556629 said: Why do we fall for looks I know its a big part but why cant we just fall in love withe iner perso...
(Quote) Jaime-556629 said:

Why do we fall for looks I know its a big part but why cant we just fall in love withe iner person?

--hide--
Jaime -- it's an age old question without any answers to totally resolve the issue. In reality, I believe most people "fall" for what they perceive as the "inner person" of another. Perception is often clouded by the emotional aspect of romance. But, that's another topic to debate.

If one pursues another merely because of outward appearances, that relationship is probably doomed and will be short-lived. People who use their God-given intelligence should realize that looks are fleeting. Perhaps there is glamor today, but tomorrow brings gray hair (or none at all), wrinkles, and other changes. Accidents can leave scars and disfigurement; so can combat incident and illness.

If someone passes you up because she doesn't think you are "tall, dark and handsome", then you're better off. Better to wait than have a shallow relationship.

Keep looking, Jaime. Also, continue to work on your inner self. All of us are flawed in one way or another; some in many ways. We are works in progress. You'll find that in the end, personality will prevail. That's more lasting than our external appearances.

Apr 3rd 2013 new
Thanks Ray God Bless Brother btw you like The Packers ?
Apr 3rd 2013 new

clap

As we say in Maine, THIS GUY'S A KEEPAH!

Apr 6th 2013 new

I've wondered about this as well. I definitely think having a good heart, being a sincerely nice person, and having a sense of humor are important in a relationship.

Apr 6th 2013 new

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction. --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Apr 6th 2013 new
(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Jaime -- it's an age old question without any answers to totally resolve the issue. In reality, I believe mos...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Jaime -- it's an age old question without any answers to totally resolve the issue. In reality, I believe most people "fall" for what they perceive as the "inner person" of another. Perception is often clouded by the emotional aspect of romance. But, that's another topic to debate.

If one pursues another merely because of outward appearances, that relationship is probably doomed and will be short-lived. People who use their God-given intelligence should realize that looks are fleeting. Perhaps there is glamor today, but tomorrow brings gray hair (or none at all), wrinkles, and other changes. Accidents can leave scars and disfigurement; so can combat incident and illness.

If someone passes you up because she doesn't think you are "tall, dark and handsome", then you're better off. Better to wait than have a shallow relationship.

Keep looking, Jaime. Also, continue to work on your inner self. All of us are flawed in one way or another; some in many ways. We are works in progress. You'll find that in the end, personality will prevail. That's more lasting than our external appearances.

--hide--

Well spoken, Ray. The visual is just the packaging. Heck, God could have chosen any package for any of us and, as you said, it can and will change with time or illness or accident. What is fascinating to me is that the 'me', the voice inside me, is the same voice as when I was 4, that it is today. It is just the same me. That is separate from any packaging and the 'me' would be the same person no matter what the appearance. So, yes, beware of those who choose based on looks. Bishop Sheen did, however once state, 'the man loves the beauty of the woman and the woman loves the WHOLE man.' It was elaborated on, in a talk I heard. I asked, well if that is the case then what about when the woman wrinkles and grays? Where does that leave the man's heart? The reply by the male speaker: 'the man comes to love the whole woman too.' It is so intriguing the way God designed us and trying to get as close to that as we can--difficult after the Fall of Adam and Eve.
Apr 8th 2013 new

For all the men: Read Proverbs 31 but pay special attention to verse 30--that's what's important--especially when searching for a Catholic wife!

Apr 8th 2013 new

Speaking of Proverbs 31.......There's a great book by Michele McKinney Hammond for Christian gals called In Search of the Proverbs 31 Man - great read!!!

Apr 8th 2013 new

Beauty catches the attention but character catches the heart.

Wondering: But how will you know a person's heart & character if you don't get to know them because their appearance just isn't to your liking? scratchchin

The beginning of Proverbs 31: Who can find a virtuous woman..for her price is far above rubies

Susie, I would like to find the book you suggested. Is it on Amazon?

Posts 1 - 10 of 16