Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

04/07/2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Here is a discussion from EWTN. I think this is what you are talking about, Right? This seems to ...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Here is a discussion from EWTN. I think this is what you are talking about, Right? This seems to be congruent with your remarks...

I am listening to it now....

www.youtube.com

--hide--

Dr. Ray...very good.

04/07/2013 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: Elizabeth, have you ever heard of Catholic Psychology? If you are interested in psychology, ...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

Elizabeth, have you ever heard of Catholic Psychology? If you are interested in psychology, I would suggest studying it from a Catholic perspective.

We must understand that all science is the fruit of a Catholic worldview and Catholic presumptions regarding the world. In short it means that the world is not animated by ghosts and spirits and mythical beings as the ancient Greeks and Romans believed. With these presumptions about the world, science would not make sense. It is the Catholic presumption of the world that the world as created by a Divine Being and as such was designed to work in an ordered fashion that has allowed science to flourish...science being the method we use to discover the order that God has designed into our world. Because of this faith and science can never conflict since they are both the pursuit of the same truth.

Here is a definition of Catholic Psychology from the following link.

www.catholicpsych.com

"What is a Catholic Psychologist then? JPII called mental health professionals to pursue their training in an atmosphere of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness. This means that a Catholic Psychologist is a person trained in the psychological sciences, who is also trained in Catholic philosophy and theology. A Catholic Psychologist believes that all truths are derived from the Source of truth, and therefore cannot contradict each other. Psychological principles can’t contradict theological or philosophical principles! If science is the pursuit of truth, and psychological science pursues psychological truth, then the truths arrived at through the study of the human psyche must coincide with principles already known to be true through philosophy and theology. Exciting new discoveries in brain imaging and other physical sciences also integrate perfectly with this bigger picture."

In addition to Paul Vitz's book, "Psychology as Religion, the Cult of Self Worship"...

www.amazon.com

another good book regarding psychology and religion is Fulton Sheen's "Peace of Soul"

www.amazon.com

Hi Dan,
Yes, I have heard of Catholic Psychology. Thank you for the info and links. I need all the information I can get. I am at a crossroads. thanks again, Dan. God bless!

--hide--

04/08/2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: The fact that this small group of persons exists here is a miracle for me. Praise God...

The fact that this small group of persons exists here is a miracle for me. Praise God. It has helped me grow in leaps and bounds and I needed it when I was out working with so many poor people here. One of the men from CM invited me to it. It is one big miracle that has happened through CM for me!

I work with many very poor and suffering people and it helps me to cope and to forget about my clients and their lives and their cases. I originally went to the group to forget about my clients--which I was desperate to do during my off hours.

Now I am drinking from a fountain of knowledge of the classics and classical education. Some of it is educaton I should have had in Catholic school I went to, but the psychology you refer to was taught there instead! and with no structure or format. The teacher, a priest was loafing along in 1974-75 and not teaching us any religion! The class was called Christian Psychology. We read Erich Fromm. I did not believe in what I was reading in the book and I was skeptical of everything in psychology as a high school student.

He was liberal and so were many priests and nuns at the time. He even tried to get me alone. Figure that one out.

--hide--

Well, considering the state of the Church in the US, we don't have to look very far for culprits. It's hard to imagine becoming a priest anymore. Professional bums is what I'd call them.

04/08/2013 new
(Quote) Paul-302787 said: Now that is my style of ecumenism, not the "let's all gather around and forget our differences&quo...
(Quote) Paul-302787 said:

Now that is my style of ecumenism, not the "let's all gather around and forget our differences" kind of junk.
--hide--

both parts of ecumenism are valid. Yes we need to confirm the amazing fact that we believe in the essential of the trinity. But yes we also need to point out facts such as the bible being a catholic book.-But I have noticed that honest protestants and evangelicals will grant right away that there was ONLY the catholic church for many centuries.
04/08/2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: Well, considering the state of the Church in the US, we don't have to look very fa...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

Well, considering the state of the Church in the US, we don't have to look very far for culprits. It's hard to imagine becoming a priest anymore. Professional bums is what I'd call them.

--hide--

Sean you have been blind sided, you now have the opinion the anti Catholic Church militants are feeding to the general public. You have a look at the rise of Pedophilia globally and at all levels of society, not just the Churches. The Catholic Church is prime target number one because it is uncomprmising in it's Teachings. There has been an infiltration of the Catholic Church by Masonic placed operatives. The aim of the Operation is to break the Trust bond and the respect the clergy has had for centuries. The infilltration has been done slowly and at targeted levels. The operation began in earnest around 1900. This mess is not a product of Vatican 11. The operation was up and running well before Vatican 11. This was a bonus for the Masonic Leadership. It was just another gem of smoke and mirrors that they could use to hasten the collapse of the respect for the Leadership and the front line priests. These operatives entered our seminaries at Priest level and the Religious responsible for education of the next generation of Catholics. Little by little they got their operatives on seminary selection panels or were involved in the choosing of others for these panels. Candidates that showed great promise were rejected and told they didn't have a vocation, whilst those that had serious deficiencies to carry out priestly duties were accepted into the seminaries and were ticking bombs waiting to be deployed. Masonry at the Highest level is purely Satanic. I am not going into great detail because peoples safety is involved. Masons have infiltrated the Vatican itself. You may remember John Paul 11 challenging clergy who were participating in Masonic rituals. Membership of a Masonic group immediately excludes a Catholic from receiving the Sacraments until they resign their membership and recant their allegiance to the Lodge. They are the very people who funded the French Revelution. They funded the Russian Revolution and a multitude of other hot spots including the savage revolution that occured in Mexico and Cuba. All roads converged into one end to fill the world with loathing for priests and religious, including the Hirearchy in the Vatican and Bishops globally. The Damage has been done, we are experiencing the orchestrated loathing now and it will get worse. It could be seen as the stage being set for the return of the Lord Jesus Christ in His role of King and Judge. We should be preparing ourselves for the worst, and rather than reviling the priests we have got left we should be supporting them. The bad have blown their covers and have split or been jailed. The priests we have left are victims like us. We need to rally around them rather than sneering at them. Ultimately Christ is the judge and He has said pray for them and leave their judgement to Him. That doesn't mean we don't throw out any future hidden pedophiles. Pedophilia and homosexuality were used as weapons to achieve what armies and legions of the past could not do. Let us not be fooled. Let us not give joy to these Masonic groups as they see the faithful turning on their Priests and Religious.

04/08/2013 new

Hi, yes, I have 'friends' on Facebook who endlessly pillory Catholicism and Christianity in general for perceived illberal attitudes and superstition. But remain totally silent, for 'politically correct' reasons, when other faiths display the same attitudes. To me this seems unfair and intellectually inconsistent.

04/08/2013 new

(Quote) Jeff-959374 said: Hi, yes, I have 'friends' on Facebook who endlessly pillory Catholicism and Christianity i...
(Quote) Jeff-959374 said:

Hi, yes, I have 'friends' on Facebook who endlessly pillory Catholicism and Christianity in general for perceived illberal attitudes and superstition. But remain totally silent, for 'politically correct' reasons, when other faiths display the same attitudes. To me this seems unfair and intellectually inconsistent.

--hide--

I belong to a small group of Catholics that I mentioned above. The group is called Communio and two of our members regularly debate others in regard to anti catholic attitudes on Facebook. One teaches philosophy and just returned from stubenvill to deliver a paper on Morality.

They also watch for other inconsistencies out in the social media such as how Catholic pedophiles are big news but not across the rest of society quite as much. We read Aquinas, Augustine and more. I mentioned it in another post. The group was actually originated by Pope Benedict before he became pope. Do You remain silent no doubt because of your work? Many of us must do that. One of our members argues a lot as since he argues for a living as an attorney, it does not hurt him. His blog is at:

Lex Communis. He used to be a member here. I think it was only recently that his profile was remeoved.

04/08/2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: The fact that this small group of pe...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

The fact that this small group of persons exists here is a miracle for me. Praise God. It has helped me grow in leaps and bounds and I needed it when I was out working with so many poor people here. One of the men from CM invited me to it. It is one big miracle that has happened through CM for me!

I work with many very poor and suffering people and it helps me to cope and to forget about my clients and their lives and their cases. I originally went to the group to forget about my clients--which I was desperate to do during my off hours.

Now I am drinking from a fountain of knowledge of the classics and classical education. Some of it is educaton I should have had in Catholic school I went to, but the psychology you refer to was taught there instead! and with no structure or format. The teacher, a priest was loafing along in 1974-75 and not teaching us any religion! The class was called Christian Psychology. We read Erich Fromm. I did not believe in what I was reading in the book and I was skeptical of everything in psychology as a high school student.

He was liberal and so were many priests and nuns at the time. He even tried to get me alone. Figure that one out.

--hide--

I would say that it is probably an over statement to call all of them professional bums but the ones who come in as predators may indeed deserve to be outed. Then there are the liberals who have ruined the church. This priest I mentioned was probably a liberal. They were prevalent in the 70s. There needs to be a revamping of the selection and review process. MAybe if they came up for regular performance reviews, they could clean up the clergy...

04/08/2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Do You remain silent no doubt because of your work? Many of us must do that. One of our members ...

Do You remain silent no doubt because of your work? Many of us must do that. One of our members argues a lot as since he argues for a living as an attorney, it does not hurt him. His blog is at:

Lex Communis. He used to be a member here. I think it was only recently that his profile was remeoved.

--hide--

Thank you for that. I'll be sure to look up the site you mention. I'm not silent exactly on Facebook, but I confess I am not exactly soapbox material either. A recent issue arose with proposed new legislation to permit same-sex marriage. When the Church of England asked for special dispensation such that the law would not be statutory for the CofE two things happened. Firstly, there was a vicious tirade against the Cof E on Facebook followed by one against Catholicism (even though the Catholic church had not at that stage asked for any dispensation). Secondly, The Muslim Council of Graet Britain pleaded discrimination as they had not been allowed the opportunity to officially renounce gay marriage and have their views also enshrined in law. When I pointed this out on Facebook absolutely nobody commented or responded at all. I think muslims are entitled to reject gay marriage and should not be forced to accept it, but their position is the same as ours and the CofE's - but no-one wished to comment. Whatever else this is it is certainly inconsistent!

04/08/2013 new

(Quote) Jeff-959374 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Do You remain silent no doubt because of your wo...
(Quote) Jeff-959374 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Do You remain silent no doubt because of your work? Many of us must do that. One of our members argues a lot as since he argues for a living as an attorney, it does not hurt him. His blog is at:

Thank you for that. I'll be sure to look up the site you mention. I'm not silent exactly on Facebook, but I confess I am not exactly soapbox material either. A recent issue arose with proposed new legislation to permit same-sex marriage. When the Church of England asked for special dispensation such that the law would not be statutory for the CofE two things happened. Firstly, there was a vicious tirade against the Cof E on Facebook followed by one against Catholicism (even though the Catholic church had not at that stage asked for any dispensation). Secondly, The Muslim Council of Graet Britain pleaded discrimination as they had not been allowed the opportunity to officially renounce gay marriage and have their views also enshrined in law. When I pointed this out on Facebook absolutely nobody commented or responded at all. I think muslims are entitled to reject gay marriage and should not be forced to accept it, but their position is the same as ours and the CofE's - but no-one wished to comment. Whatever else this is it is certainly inconsistent!

--hide--

Welcome to the forums Jeff! i hope you enjoy being on the forums!

Posts 61 - 70 of 94