Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I would say that it is probably an over statement to call all of them professional bu...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I would say that it is probably an over statement to call all of them professional bums but the ones who come in as predators may indeed deserve to be outed. Then there are the liberals who have ruined the church. This priest I mentioned was probably a liberal. They were prevalent in the 70s. There needs to be a revamping of the selection and review process. MAybe if they came up for regular performance reviews, they could clean up the clergy...

--hide--

We need clergy who actually believe in something instead of just money and power over real estate. With all the church closings, I've often said, "Why not close 'em all down?" Set up a paypal account so that there can be a direct money line to the diocese. I believe in God and the Church but I don't believe in the American Church. This thing is a farce.

Apr 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: We need clergy who actually believe in something instead of just money and power over ...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

We need clergy who actually believe in something instead of just money and power over real estate. With all the church closings, I've often said, "Why not close 'em all down?" Set up a paypal account so that there can be a direct money line to the diocese. I believe in God and the Church but I don't believe in the American Church. This thing is a farce.

--hide--
that is so sad that you do not believe in the Church

Apr 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I would say that it is probably an o...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I would say that it is probably an over statement to call all of them professional bums but the ones who come in as predators may indeed deserve to be outed. Then there are the liberals who have ruined the church. This priest I mentioned was probably a liberal. They were prevalent in the 70s. There needs to be a revamping of the selection and review process. MAybe if they came up for regular performance reviews, they could clean up the clergy...

--hide--

I am sorry you have gotten to a point where you feel this way. I would not want to be there.

Apr 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Fred-828727 said: that is so sad that you do not believe in the Church
(Quote) Fred-828727 said:

that is so sad that you do not believe in the Church

--hide--

I actually wrote that I believe in the Church. I'm just saying that the Church in this country does not seem to have much good left in it. If it did, would abortion have been legalized? Or gay marriage? I don't agree with everything Fr. Feeney wrote but that man knew the direction in which the Church in the US was heading back in the 1940s and 50s.

Apr 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on the book of Acts. I am loving everything I am lear...

Last night I attended my Parish Bible study on the book of Acts. I am loving everything I am learning in the study especially the up close view of St Paul and what he must have been like. Last night we were on Chapter 22 where Paul shares his conversion in Hebrew with the Jews and people present.

Our leader asked us to share oiur conversion stories. One story that was shared was about a woman who got her teaching credential in about 2006 or so and tried working in the public schools and did not like it but then went to a local Christian school where there is a high school included.

One day she was doing study hall and heard the teens stating that Catholics are not Christians. She let it go but later it was coming up again and she confronted the teens gently and said yes we are Christians. The next thing she knew a 16 year old was 12 inches from her face telling her she was going to hell. How the encounter ended was unclear but she stood her ground.
Word spread and over night 2/3 of parents had called the school threatening to remove their children because a Catholic was teaching there.
This woman agreed to resign, if that was what the board wanted. They passed out a tract that showed some history of a Baptist relationship to Catholics and the lady said she understaood when reading that tract why there was such hatred.

The board and the Principal did decide she had to resign( and not return after Christmas). She did that.

This is illegal in our state but this is what she went through. She told the story with grace and with poise. She stated that she went through a renewed conversion after this had happened.

I found this story to be amazing. Unfortunately, there is a lot of the small mindedness prevalent in this part of California where I now reside. Amazing that they felt they could get her to resign based on this fact and not be sued. and Amazing that they could be so adamant that she could disrupt the environment..

--hide--
Hi Marian. Just getting back on CM after a few days away and wanted respond to your thread. Haven't read thru all the posts but just want to say as a recent returnee to the faith, it hurts my ears the prejudice that is allowed against us. Just this am on a secular group I do someone referred to being a "recovering catholic". I countered but in this group its hard to mention Jesus by name. I did tell of my recent "spiritual awakening" but didn't rebuke the previous coment (which is frowned upon). Its hard. But I am grateful that I now have the passion and faith and I know the more I grow in it, the more I will be able to share it and defend it. Amen! God bless you all

Apr 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Susan-940526 said: Hi Marian. Just getting back on CM after a few days away and wanted respond to your thread. Haven...
(Quote) Susan-940526 said:

Hi Marian. Just getting back on CM after a few days away and wanted respond to your thread. Haven't read thru all the posts but just want to say as a recent returnee to the faith, it hurts my ears the prejudice that is allowed against us. Just this am on a secular group I do someone referred to being a "recovering catholic". I countered but in this group its hard to mention Jesus by name. I did tell of my recent "spiritual awakening" but didn't rebuke the previous coment (which is frowned upon). Its hard. But I am grateful that I now have the passion and faith and I know the more I grow in it, the more I will be able to share it and defend it. Amen! God bless you all

--hide--

I am glad you feel you are in the right place and that God is reneweing your fiath and heart in so many ways. The Holy Spirit is who guides us along and when we sense that guidance, it does nto matter who likes it or not. If persons want to put down the church in the ways we have discussed here in this thread- though being anti-Catholic, they are missing something in how they perceive what the Church has to offer and we can only pray that God will show them the way. I have heard that awful phrase and usually that person is fighting with some aspect of morality and wants to feel alright with some pattern of behavior they like to engage in or something they want to do.

Apr 11th 2013 new

I really do believe that so far this has been a great topic and I would like to add that I have been getting some negativity from some Mormons that I have came across who are not happy about the fact that Obama gained the majority of the Catholic votes in this last election. Perhaps this could shed some light on the Anti Catholicism that has gotten worse.

Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: I really do believe that so far this has been a great topic and I would like to add that I ha...
(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said:

I really do believe that so far this has been a great topic and I would like to add that I have been getting some negativity from some Mormons that I have came across who are not happy about the fact that Obama gained the majority of the Catholic votes in this last election. Perhaps this could shed some light on the Anti Catholicism that has gotten worse.

--hide--

I doubt it was Catholics who voted him in. I don't know... I think Catholicism is and always has been a caulderon waiting to boil over, and the media turns up the heat a lot. stir the pot! Its getting cold!

Apr 11th 2013 new

The greatest threat to the Church is balkanization. That's what the EU is doing to mainland Europe but in the political realm: fracturing nation-states such as Spain into smaller entities. The same thing is happening in the Catholic Church but on the spiritual level. I believe that's why the formation of national bishops' conferences was encouraged before and after Vatican II: to break the Church into national entities and to wipe out the Vatican as a unifying force.

Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I doubt it was Catholics who voted him in. I don't know... I think Catholicism is and...

I doubt it was Catholics who voted him in. I don't know... I think Catholicism is and always has been a caulderon waiting to boil over, and the media turns up the heat a lot.

--hide--

Catholics may not have voted him in, although 53% of Catholic voters did vote for him. A large part of that 53% were Latinos who voted for him overwhelmingly.

But Cathoics, as a group, if they had voted in line with the Church's teachings, would have denied him the election.

We need to face the fact that most people who describe themselves as Catholic, really are not in proper union with the Church and should not call themselves Catholic. For far too many Catholics, being Catholic is more a cultural identity, similar to most Jews, than a true expression of their religious beliefs.

Posts 71 - 80 of 94