Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Con-888377 said: Pope John Paul 11 used his power of Ex Cathedra so as no one could speak against it within...
(Quote) Con-888377 said:

Pope John Paul 11 used his power of Ex Cathedra so as no one could speak against it within the Church. This fact is not spoken about, especially by those that think they are pope for a day. The amount of resistance and opposition can sometimes be a good indicator of something spiritually good. Good on you and your family. Love displayed in loyalty goes down big in Heaven!

--hide--

Actual Ex Cathedra statements are extremely rare, and there have not been many if I recall correctly. They are used to definte a doctrine which has been called into question. The last one I can find is the Assumption of Our Lady in 1950...I don't think JP II ever used it, and I certainly may be wrong, but could someone find the statement? Divine Mercy as a devotion is not the sort of thing that one would make an Ex Cathedra statement about. He encouraged the faithful in very strong language to adhere to this devotion, and named Divine Mercy Sunday as the "Sunday within the octave" or in the old rite "LOw Sunday."

Apr 4th 2013 new

I have had a devotion to the Divine Mercy for a long time (I am part Polish so that helps), and I am all for Divine Mercy Sunday!

Apr 4th 2013 new

After reading the Diary of St. Faustina many years ago I developed a great love for The Chaplet of Divine Mercy and of course the feast of Divine Mercy! What a blessing! Our Church will be celebrating this Sunday, Thanks be to God!

Apr 4th 2013 new

Rosemarie, I just wanted to chime in on what you said...I had the wonderful opportunity of visiting the Phillipines about 5 years ago and was awestruck by the devotion of the people there, I just fell in love with your country!

Even though I live in "liberal" Washington state, we have a quite number of Priests who are very dedicated to the Blessed Mother and the Divine Mercy Devotion! The Priests at my parish are incredible, we are so BLESSED!!!

Apr 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Con-888377 said: Very true Rachel, it is the Churches best kept secret by a significant number of priests. Even thou...
(Quote) Con-888377 said:

Very true Rachel, it is the Churches best kept secret by a significant number of priests. Even though it is in the Ordo, which is the little book used to keep track of the Liturgical calendar in regards to Feasts and the praying of the Divine Office. For the Divine Mercy Sunday to still be unheard of after such a long time and having been promoted by one of the greatest Popes the Catholic Church has had given it by the Lord, means stubborn disobedience and obstructionism and the organisational level of the Church.

--hide--

We have the large Divine Mercy portrait in the front of the church since last Friday, but still many people don't know. We haven't had a homily on it, I guess. Not even an article in the bulletin.

Apr 4th 2013 new

Well said. I'm definitely all for it. Anyone who isn't I just don't understand.

Apr 4th 2013 new

I don't think that anyone necessarily has to be for or against it. Like Naomi posted, the Church does not require belief in private revelation.The Rosary is not required, either. It is fervently recommended, though.

I love a sung version of the Divine Mercy that I found on YouTube. I think my sister in law bought a CD so she could listen to it in her car.

Apr 4th 2013 new

Hi Therese,
I, also read the St. Faustina Diary about 12 years ago and fell in love EVERYTHING it hade to say. I am so grateful that Our Lord told Faustina what He

wanted and that she wrote it down. She was His sceratary! I love her faithfulness and obedience. This devotion offers so much. We have available to us

100 % MERCY. He is so generous! I am so grateful! I have been doing the novena for many years and am doing the one that started Friday. I can't

wait for The Lord to wash all my sins away! My soul could use a good cleaning!

Apr 4th 2013 new

Well said Elizabeth. It's not so much just private revelation like Jonh Leary or Jeanna Teloni etc. (which I do believe that Jesus and Mary and many Saints are speaking to them ) but it's that the Catholic church recognizes Blessed Faustina's revelation and what Jesus had told her.

So no, you don't have to believe in it but it's strongly recommended that one does because this is a "private revelation" that even the Catholic church recognizes. That's the difference.

Apr 4th 2013 new

Yes Rachel, it's a shame. That's why we need to emphasize it to our neighbors oursleves.

Posts 21 - 30 of 128