Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

04/04/2013 new

I will attend the Divine Mercy Sunday.

Now that I have read the letter of Con I've been thinking that in my community have the Celebration of the Divine Mercy, we pray the novena and also every first Friday of the month we pray the chaplet but the priests do not participate in this grace.

My community is celebrating 7 years thanks to people who have always lived with this devotion in their countries and today we have in this community.. I thank God that I know this beautiful grace. I come from Mexico and at the time I was there and 100% devotion was of Lady
of Guadalupe. In recent years the devotion of Divine Mercy is spread in every place of my country.

Today I share this special devotion to children in faith formation and in music. My family and I pray the chaplet every day. My mom is the most devoted pray it at 3 in the afternoon

"I promise that the soul that will venerate this Image will not perish. I also promise victory over its enemies already here on earth, especially at the hour of death. I Myself will defend it as My own glory. (Diary 48)

04/04/2013 new

(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said: Yes, I am on my 7th day with the DM novena. "Every Catholic should be...
(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said:

Yes, I am on my 7th day with the DM novena. "Every Catholic should be familiar with the teaching of the Church on this matter, contained in paragraphs 668 to 679 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Only in the context of public revelation as taught by the Magisterium can we situate the words of private revelation given to Sr. Faustina." (ewtn)

--hide--

Me, too! Loving the peace it brings.

04/04/2013 new

I did the novena/Mass last year and am doing it this year. At my parish, we have an outdoor procession with the Blessed Sacrament and benediction so I'm looking forward to that.

04/04/2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: Actual Ex Cathedra statements are extremely rare, and there have not been many ...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

Actual Ex Cathedra statements are extremely rare, and there have not been many if I recall correctly. They are used to definte a doctrine which has been called into question. The last one I can find is the Assumption of Our Lady in 1950...I don't think JP II ever used it, and I certainly may be wrong, but could someone find the statement? Divine Mercy as a devotion is not the sort of thing that one would make an Ex Cathedra statement about. He encouraged the faithful in very strong language to adhere to this devotion, and named Divine Mercy Sunday as the "Sunday within the octave" or in the old rite "LOw Sunday."

--hide--

Ex cathedra pronouncements are not as rare as some would have you think. Bl. Pope John Paul II did, in fact, have recourse to his infallible magisterium when he defined the bounds of the Church's authority in regard to the sacerdotal ordination of women in his encyclical Ordinatio Sacerdotalis. ("Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful.")

That said, I do not know of the Holy Father using this papal prerogative in regard to the Divine Mercy Sunday, nor any of the private revelations of St. Maria Faustina Kowalska. If someone believes that the Holy Father did use his singular privelege, he should post the solemn judgment for all to see.

The infallibility which Our Lord wished His Church to possess and exercise is very closely defined at the First Vatican Council:

"Therefore, faithfully adhering to the tradition received from the beginning of the Christian faith, to the glory of God our Saviour, for the exaltation of the Catholic religion and for the salvation of the Christian people, with the approval of the Sacred Council, We teach and define as a divinely revealed dogma that when the Roman Pontiff speaks EX CATHEDRA, that is, when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his Supreme Apostolic Authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church, he possesses, by the divine assistance promised to him in blessed Peter, that infallibility which the divine Redeemer willed His Church to enjoy in defining doctrine concerning faith or morals. Therefore, such definitions of the Roman Pontiff are of themselves, and not by the consent of the Church, irreformable. So then, should anyone, which God forbid, have the temerity to reject this definition of ours: let him be anathema."

So, if the Holy Father did not:

1) exercise his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians,
2) exercise this office in virtue of his Supreme Apostolic Authority,
3) define a doctrine concerning faith or morals,
4) bind said doctrine to be held by the whole Church,

then he did not have recourse to his papal prerogative of infallibility.

04/04/2013 new

I agree with you, Sue. I have never met someone who opposes the devotion, but many who are unfamiliar with it.

04/04/2013 new

I have been praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for years, but this is the first year I am praying it (via conference call) with my 22 year old and my 26 year old, both in different parts of the country. And I love the fact that THEY suggested praying the novena together this year! Then, I turn to CM, to see how people are doing after the Triduum and here you are, also praying this wonderfully nourishing novena.

Tonight, we were also offering thankful prayers for the many faithful Catholics we've met over the years who have preached the Gospel to us, with their very lives. May God bless them (and us) abundantly! theheart

04/04/2013 new
(Quote) Susan-635047 said: I agree with you, Sue. I have never met someone who opposes the devotion, but many who are unfamiliar with it....
(Quote) Susan-635047 said:

I agree with you, Sue. I have never met someone who opposes the devotion, but many who are unfamiliar with it.

--hide--

As private revelation, it's ok, since it does not hurt one way or the other and is not part of the 'depositum fidei', on the other hand, as some sort of yardstick by which one's devotional life is measured...well, I'll stick with the Rosary, thank you. I think removing the celebration of the Octave of Easter, which had an extra-millennial tradition of celebration, and replacing the 8th day of Easter (Low Sunday) with a 'fit it in somewhere' feast detracts from the Easter message. I've head the arguments...and not convinced this was the best place, if it had to be pushed into the liturgical year, that this feast should have been named. It was JP-II's decision as was his right as the supreme legislator, but as a prudent decision not bearing on faith or morals not observing it or participating is a neutral act.

As someone else pointed out, it was not infallibly declared. The devotion is entirely optional, as is any private revelation, If you get something good out of it, that's good. Many have heard of it, are familiar with it, but it does nothing for them. And that is OK, too.
04/04/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-847286 said: I don't think that anyone necessarily has to be for or against it. Like Naomi posted, the Chur...
(Quote) Mary-847286 said:

I don't think that anyone necessarily has to be for or against it. Like Naomi posted, the Church does not require belief in private revelation.The Rosary is not required, either. It is fervently recommended, though.

I love a sung version of the Divine Mercy that I found on YouTube. I think my sister in law bought a CD so she could listen to it in her car.

--hide--
That said the Church regards as foolish someone who ignores that which the Church recommends as beneficial to achieving salvation. The promises attached to this devotion appear to be being ignored. The Holy Father promulgated the Second Sunday of Easter to be known as Divine Mercy Sunday. He did this at the canonisation of Saint Faustina. This has not come from some obscure backwater, it had the personal attention of a Pope. These matters appear to be ignored and replies seem to imply novelty status to this devotion. The request for this Feast came via the spoken word of Christ. Rejecting this gift is a slap in the face of Our generous Savior. The amount of effort put in by Blessed John Paul 11 was because he believed this was the main reason he came to the Papcy.The Pope himself was chosen by the Holy Spirit. His actions were what Jesus asked for, there is no other Devotion that gives complete forgiveness of sin and the punishment due to those sins is remitted also, and the soul is returned to it's wonderous state after Baptism. I know people have a problem with this. It is seen as Hocus Pocus and ot the right image for the modern Church. It has been proclaimed and pu into the Roman Missal and by that fact alone is required to be observed. Whether someone elieves or nt has no effect on the Feast which is a reality and the only appropriate esponse is one of gratitude.

04/04/2013 new

(Quote) Bryan-7889 said: As private revelation, it's ok, since it does not hurt one way or the other and is not part of...
(Quote) Bryan-7889 said:

As private revelation, it's ok, since it does not hurt one way or the other and is not part of the 'depositum fidei', on the other hand, as some sort of yardstick by which one's devotional life is measured...well, I'll stick with the Rosary, thank you. I think removing the celebration of the Octave of Easter, which had an extra-millennial tradition of celebration, and replacing the 8th day of Easter (Low Sunday) with a 'fit it in somewhere' feast detracts from the Easter message. I've head the arguments...and not convinced this was the best place, if it had to be pushed into the liturgical year, that this feast should have been named. It was JP-II's decision as was his right as the supreme legislator, but as a prudent decision not bearing on faith or morals not observing it or participating is a neutral act.

As someone else pointed out, it was not infallibly declared. The devotion is entirely optional, as is any private revelation, If you get something good out of it, that's good. Many have heard of it, are familiar with it, but it does nothing for them. And that is OK, too.
--hide--

That's why we have a Pope, to disregard his promulgation is to disrespect the Papal office. This is another type of Cafeteria Catholic Society for armchair Mini Popes who want the Church run their way or the highway. Bad example to our youth is all that is accomplished.

04/04/2013 new

(Quote) Susan-635047 said: I agree with you, Sue. I have never met someone who opposes the devotion, but many who are unfami...
(Quote) Susan-635047 said:

--hide--
To est the water Susan try promoting the devotion the length and breadth of your diocese. Which is what I have done for 29 years and priests still resist, even though it has been placed in the Roman Missal as an observable Feast. There is not an option to ignore, it is disobedience to a duly appointed Pope and disrespecting Christ's request for this Feast.

Posts 31 - 40 of 128