Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: I usually don't pray this as I understand its traditional to pray it at 1500hrs and I'm k...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I usually don't pray this as I understand its traditional to pray it at 1500hrs and I'm kinda pedantic about praying things at certain times that are suggested. I'm usually asleep or at work at 1500hrs! So I found I couldn't keep up with it. I tend to pray the standard 54 Novena and just pray that at whatever time I find agreeable.

As for ignorance vs. opposition, I find generally that people are neither and just can't bothered simply because of how society now views sin and its consquences. I know too many Catholics who think Hell isn't forever, Hell is just for the "Hitlers", that there's no sin that can seperate us from God, [which is true, but they view this in a sense where you dont' need confession just say "Oh gee God, sorry about that, you understand right?", oir don't even do that] you know, the usual Protestant nonsense of once saved always saved under some wishy washy cafeteria catholic flavour.

So if people don't view sin as having any real consquence, why bother praying something that's supposed to remove the punishment of sin?

Our Clergy really have their work cut out for them. I know its not popular, but we need to start talking about the H word again.

--hide--

An Irish priest friend of mine on hot days would give the people a choice 1: a long sermon 2: or the short $50 dollar sermon. Which went like this, "Hell it's hot!!!"

Apr 4th 2013 new
(Quote) Con-888377 said: That is what Jesus is offering, no punishment out of the goodness of His lacerated Heart.
(Quote) Con-888377 said:

That is what Jesus is offering, no punishment out of the goodness of His lacerated Heart.

--hide--

True. Which he allows all humanity to participate in(yes even non-catholics/non-christians) thru their love,suffering,selflessness and sorrow.All goodness comes from him.
Apr 4th 2013 new

[quote]Tom-112790 said:

there is a hell...but im not sure that there is full agreement on the eternity of it. i'm more of a purgatory guy. i am guessing that the majority of all humans end up in purgatory after

death....with a very small percentage either going straight to heaven or hell. but what do i know??

from what ive read of purgatory....its much better to resolve most issues here on earth to say the least [/quot

Hell is a personal choice because the person choses sin over serving God. There are consequences to our actions. That is why free will is something to be executed with spiritual caution. Buy yourself a Catehism of The Catholic Church and form a Catholic Conscience, one that is informed

Apr 4th 2013 new
(Quote) Con-888377 said: (Quote) Tom-112790 said: there is a hell...but im not sure that there is full agreement o...
(Quote) Con-888377 said:

[quote]Tom-112790 said:

there is a hell...but im not sure that there is full agreement on the eternity of it. i'm more of a purgatory guy. i am guessing that the majority of all humans end up in purgatory after

death....with a very small percentage either going straight to heaven or hell. but what do i know??

from what ive read of purgatory....its much better to resolve most issues here on earth to say the least [/quot

Hell is a personal choice because the person choses sin over serving God. There are consequences to our actions. That is why free will is something to be executed with spiritual caution. Buy yourself a Catehism of The Catholic Church and form a Catholic Conscience, one that is informed

--hide--

We all sin. And thanks for the advice on conscience--but I think most of us have one.And that conscience is from God. I really dont need --nor do others need--to be told what books to read about conscience.
Apr 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-112790 said: We all sin. And thanks for the advice on conscience--but I think most of us have one.And that cons...
(Quote) Tom-112790 said:

We all sin. And thanks for the advice on conscience--but I think most of us have one.And that conscience is from God. I really dont need --nor do others need--to be told what books to read about conscience.
--hide--

It is not my opinion, it is an instruction of the Catholic Church on the duty to form an Informed Conscience. You can't be a little bit Catholic as you can't be a little bit pregnant in the case of women.

Apr 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: I usually don't pray this as I understand its traditional to pray it at 1500hrs and I'm k...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I usually don't pray this as I understand its traditional to pray it at 1500hrs and I'm kinda pedantic about praying things at certain times that are suggested. I'm usually asleep or at work at 1500hrs! So I found I couldn't keep up with it. I tend to pray the standard 54 Novena and just pray that at whatever time I find agreeable.

As for ignorance vs. opposition, I find generally that people are neither and just can't bothered simply because of how society now views sin and its consquences. I know too many Catholics who think Hell isn't forever, Hell is just for the "Hitlers", that there's no sin that can seperate us from God, [which is true, but they view this in a sense where you dont' need confession just say "Oh gee God, sorry about that, you understand right?", oir don't even do that] you know, the usual Protestant nonsense of once saved always saved under some wishy washy cafeteria catholic flavour.

So if people don't view sin as having any real consquence, why bother praying something that's supposed to remove the punishment of sin?

Our Clergy really have their work cut out for them. I know its not popular, but we need to start talking about the H word again.

--hide--

The Chaplet may be said at any time. The three o'clock hour is powerful because of the Lord's Passion. If I can't say the whole chaplet at that time I will say, "O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fount of mercy for us, I trust in You" 3 times and comtemplate Our Lord's Passion asking for His Mercy. The chaplet is immensely powerful at the time of death. Since you are a nurse, it would be great for you to call upon His Mercy through this prayer when someone is dying. Once you start saying the chaplet you will feel the grace and want to continue.www.heaven-speaks.com

Apr 4th 2013 new

I'm with you.
I resent things being shoved down my throat.

Apr 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Con-888377 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: It's a private devotion.A good one at that,bu...
(Quote) Con-888377 said:

Quote:
Bernard-2709 said:

It's a private devotion.A good one at that,but no one is obliged to it.Just like apparitions.Some people think Fatima is good,and it gets resistance.I wouldn't worry about who is for or against,or indifferent.There are thousands of different devotions in the Church.

Notwith these promises attached and certainly not from the hand of a Pope. The fact of the Second Sunday of Easter being renamed is a powerful indicator of the regard Pop John Paul had for this special Feast. People seem to be confused the Divine Mercy Chaplet has nothing to do with the Feast. So why the reference to Fatima. This comes down to rejection of a request by Christ for the Feast and a belittling of John Pauls papacy. The Holy Spirit was involved in his appointment. God is being generous and people are rejecting something they haven't fully investigated. Christ did the right thing by acting through His representative at that time John Paul, the then Head of the Catholic Church.

--hide--
There is also the First Nine Fridays that come from Christ directly (Sacred Heart) that have been around for over 100 years.First Five Saturdays(Fatima) from the Mother of God with her Sons backing,and many more.Just saying.You get Pleanary Indulgence (daily) from the Rosary if said with Family,or inChurch. ETc....

Apr 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Con-888377 said: Greetings to all my Catholic Brothers and Sisters, I purposely am not addressing the many splinter ...
(Quote) Con-888377 said:

Greetings to all my Catholic Brothers and Sisters, I purposely am not addressing the many splinter groups with names for they have been hurt enough. I see this trend to label within the Church as a Divide and Conquer strategy of Satan that on the whole has been quite successful and has made many Catholics feel as if they were aliens in another country speaking another language. The Pope of any particular era is entrusted with Jewel of Great Price, "Us!" No exceptions or, acceptable, non acceptable, categories. I have been an active promoter of The Divine Mercy Devotion for now around 26 years. Throughout these years I have met with strong resistance against the devotion, sad to say. I would think that anything that promised so much for so little effort would be snatched up. Satan again has used the tactic of using mankind’s tendency to pride of intellect, which comes down to a defective or a conscience not in harmony with the Church’s teachings. Which for us is the Will of God. When St Peter was given the Keys of leadership, the Lord empowered him with great authority, with surety in matters of Faith and Morals to never be in error. This guarantee was to be our Spiritual Compass in living out our role in God's plan for us, it also is a protection to use in assessing if something is of God or Satan. Conscience has been the devils main weapon, which he excised from Vatican11 and twisted it’s interpretation for his own sinister purposes. It was Pride that brought him down. So if it worked to undo him then how could puny Humanity resist such a clever setup?? A tactic again based on Pride. Spiritual Pride is a killer, a killer of souls that we have often been warned about.

Now back to the topic at hand, Divine Mercy devotion. Pope John Paul 11 was asked once "What was it that he thought defined his Papacy?" He replied that it was to put in place the Divine Mercy Devotion and promulgating Divine Mercy Sunday to be observed on the Second Sunday of Easter. Now Sundays are seen as memorial of the Resurrection of the Lord and nothing is to be celebrated in its' place, like a Funeral etc. Occasionally there are Feasts in relation to Mary, Christ's mother and the other that comes to mind is St John the Baptist. No one can just arbitrarily decide a new theme for the Sunday Mass. Now for a Sunday in the Easter Octave to be assigned a new role is even more a “no go” zone, As it is a part of a group of Sundays liturgically assigned the name of the Easter Octave. These particular Sundays of the Easter Octave rate higher than the Sundays that make up the rest of the Liturgical calendar. Pope John Paul used his Papal Authority, Ex Cathedra (Infallible proclamation) in relation to the Divine Mercy Devotion and the then Sister Helen Faustina's cause for canonisation. So why the indifference to this Wondrous devotion? This, on the Sunday called Divine Mercy Sunday, offers something so wondrous from the Hand and Heart of God. The Grace offered is the total remission and removal of all punishment due to sin. The persons soul is returned to the state which it possessed at Baptism. A Pope has solemnly declared this to be so. So no armchair Theologians or Smirking Modernists have any right to mock or criticize. The Devotion is under the umbrella of an Infallible pronouncement, which calls us to Obedience. Another virtue that society sees as a weakness.

If we take a look back through time and see God's pattern of dealing with the sins of mankind nothing comes close to this Divine Mercy gift in revealed efficacy other than the Birth and Death of Our Lord Jesus Christ. With things of great benefit to man, as given by God, there is usually some great evil that it combats and defeats. Take the Sacraments as the main example, and the things done by Man throughout history against them. The Sacraments return order to our chaotic beings that have been ravaged by Sin. There's an unpopular word, Sin. Society has changed the name "Sin" to "Indulge" it's not Sin now! It's doing something a little bit naughty, a bit of a giggle! If it feels good, how could it be wrong?? Another clever cliché from Hell’s kitchen! Society follows a handsome Pied Piper and dances to the tune of Spiritual Death and Alienation, all the way into Eternal Death in Hell!

The Divine Mercy Gift has been given to us in our life time for us to use and take benefit from. It is a gift of love from the Lord, The Father and The Holy Spirit. With such a great gift on offer what is it that it is designed to defeat. Something is coming that warrants this preparation. I do not know what this is, but as night follows day it has been demonstrated throughout Church History to be the pattern of Divine intervention . So why the resistance? Why the Indifference? Why the Opposition to a Papal declared devotion, free from error of any kind?? Have Catholic individuals taken the power of infallibility to be their own?? When God gave this authority to one, also to the bishops in union with the Pope. Even Bishops don't have access to this authority without the Popes involvement and participation.

Where do you stand?? Are you Sheep or Goat? A thing to remember, it was the blood of a lamb painted over the doorways of the Israelites that indicated to the Angel of Death to pass over that home and do no harm, as the sign of Covenant was over their doorway. What special protective benefits are yet to be revealed by God for complying with His stated wishes in regard to this Devotion? It comes down to this, are you a Catholic that lives by what the Church declares morally and spiritually good for us? Even though you don't like it?? Or are you in the camp of The Cafeteria Catholic, taking that which appeals and rejecting that which doesn't, which is the sign of a defective conscience, out of balance with our loving God.

This Sunday may be, for some of us, the last chance to avail our selves of this Pearl of Great Price. It may even turn out to be the World's last opportunity; only God knows the answer to that question. I hope you take this opportunity to paint the Lamb’s Blood over the doorway to your Heart!

I wish you Love, I wish you Grace and I wish you wisdom in considering your response, ultimately, to God the one that created you to be with and in Him.

--hide--

Thank you for bringing up this topic. I don't think it is a matter of for or against. I am sorry you have had roadblocks about this devotion through the years. Like you said that just shows how powerful it is. As you know, it was really hidden in the church for years. I was blessed over 20 years ago to discover it and we used to have a Divine Mercy Conference each year. When the pope established Divine Mercy Sunday he wanted it to move to the parishes. Try to remember that even though you have known about it for years it wasn't a Feast Day and Faustina wasn't a saint until 2000, which makes it a very young feast day in the church. I am thrilled that each year we have more and more participants at our Divine Mercy celebration. After mass we say the chaplet, have adoration, a homily and then veneration of a 1st degree relic of St. Faustina. It has taken the devotion of certain parishioners to patiently continue to put out the word. I am noticing in other parishes it is spreading:) Many have the Divine Mercy picture hanging in the church. After Good Friday services, it was still in the 3 o'clock hour, our pastor stayed in the church and lead the first day of the novena and chaplet and gave a little homily on the devotion. That was a first for him:)!!! I felt so blessed that I was there.

It seems many people in the church don't really understand Plenary Indulgences either and don't understand how to partake in this gift. Continue spreading the word and having faith and praying for our priests. Many times it is the laity that need to take a lead in these devotions, the priests have their hands full of so many things.

Apr 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: It's a private devotion.A good one at that,but no one is obliged to it.Just like apparitions....
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

It's a private devotion.A good one at that,but no one is obliged to it.Just like apparitions.Some people think Fatima is good,and it gets resistance.I wouldn't worry about who is for or against,or indifferent.There are thousands of different devotions in the Church.

--hide--

Well, Bernard, it's nice to see that there are some things we agree on! wave

Posts 51 - 60 of 128