Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Apr 5th 2013 new
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Thank you Mary for putting those sites up for me. Again, it is a tearful experience for me and dear to my...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

Thank you Mary for putting those sites up for me. Again, it is a tearful experience for me and dear to my heart. The dad was a great speaker and writer and I enjoyed his enthusiasm for his son and the pope.

When Neill graduated from high school, I wanted to leave his mark on this part of our world. I had written a letter to the director of special education here in Knoxville thanking all the dedicated professionals and everyone who was in contact with Neill, the pier Tudors and even the kitchen staff.

I sent the letter to our local newspaper and said that it would make a great special interest story not only for my son but other kids from his class that were graduating as well. The head of the department

thought so too and we were interviewed and his picture was on the front page of the paper the next day. I had asked if the teacher's assistants would walk him across the stage because he was there because of their hard work and they were honored. I will never forget it. They had taped his tassel on his helmet and had a hard time getting him there because the clapping was disturbing for Neill but 23 years of hard work (not academic but just as much of an accomplishment) culminated that evening.

I was proud, the teachers were ecstatic and everyone that knew Neill were on their feet. It was wonderful! Thanks for listening to my story and here I am crying again. Eileen
--hide--
Eileen, I cried, too. hug Here's a poem for you...

Heaven's Very Special Child - by Edna Massimilla

A meeting was held quite far from earth,

"It's time again for another birth,"

Said the angels to the Lord above,

"This special child will need much love.

His progress may seem very slow,

Accomplishments he may not show,

And he'll require extra care

From the folks he meets way down there.

He may not run or laugh or play;

His thoughts may seem quite far away.

In many way he won't adapt,

And he'll be known as handicapped.

So let's be careful where he's sent,

We want his life to be content.

Please, Lord, find parents who

Will do a special job for you

They will not realize right away

The leading role they're asked to play

But with this child sent from above

Comes stronger faith and richer love.

And soon they'll know the privilege given

In caring for this gift from Heaven.

Their precious charge so meek and mild

Is Heaven's very special child."
Apr 5th 2013 new
[quote]Mary-486033 said: Eileen, I cried, too. Here's a poem for you...

Heaven's Very Special Child - by Edna Massimilla

A meeting was held quite far from earth,

"It's time again for another birth,"

Said the angels to the Lord above,

"This special child will need much love.

His progress may seem very slow,

Accomplishments he may not show,

And he'll require extra care

From the folks he meets way down there.

He may not run or laugh or play;

His thoughts may seem quite far away.

In many way he won't adapt,

And he'll be known as handicapped.

So let's be careful where he's sent,

We want his life to be content.

Please, Lord, find parents who

Will do a special job for you

They will not realize right away

The leading role they're asked to play

But with this child sent from above

Comes stronger faith and richer love.

And soon they'll know the privilege given

In caring for this gift from Heaven.

Their precious charge so meek and mild

Is Heaven's very special child." [/quo

That is a beautiful poem Mary. I can only say that God has a plan for each of us. When I was a child, my Mom asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I was in elementary school and I told her I wanted to work with retarded kids. She asked me why. I told her that I watched the kids in the White Building and they always seemed so happy and I wanted to be with them. It was a separate building from the school but right next door on the school grounds. I would peek in the windows and watch them at recess.

In high school, my mother pushed me toward the business route and started work at Monarch Life Insurance Co. I was in the steno pool and eventually worked as secretary to two Vice Presidents. I would visit the steno pool and in particular, Rose. I told her this wasn't for me and I wanted to be a nurse. She said her daughter was administrator of the LPN program in Westfield. Before I knew it, I was enrolled and graduating. I worked on the ortho-neuro floor. We took care of all kinds of people, ESP strokes and people with brain injuries etc. We had handicapped kids coming in to have shunts revised, brain cancer where the tumors were being debulked and were repeat patients.

I had my first child and was pregnant with my second shortly after I returned to work. I told my friends at work that this pregnancy just didn't feel right, nothing like Christopher. Well, at seven and a half months along, I lost Benjamin. I was asking God that if He ever would give me another child, not to take him away. Even if he wasn't perfect in the world's eyes, I would take care of him the rest of his life. Neill was born after a difficult delivery and the doctor put him on my belly and said "you have a beautiful big (he really said fat) baby boy." I looked at him and said "He is beautiful but there is something wrong with him" he asked me how I knew and I told him I could feel it with every iota of my being. The rest is history.

I have learned alot over the years. I was a shy but got over that. I learned every accomplishment is a miracle with special needs children. I learned to revise my expectations and take disappointments with a grain of salt. I saw prayer and faith in a different light. I asked Blessed Mary for support as she knew my pain and asked Jesus for patience and wisdom to do the best job and make the right decisions for Neill and all of us.

I see the innocence of a child every day and the wonder of the world through his eyes. Neill doesn't run but he walks and when we are on the walking trails or in the hood(as I like to call it)' joggers will pass or approach him and he is so enthralled with watching them, he laughs and will turn around and watch them as far as he can see them and the same with kids. Such a little thing but such enjoyment because he cannot do it.

Again, thank you for listening to my story and I have heard and seen the miracles of other families. They may not have a special needs child but their adventures are every bit as wonderful and special as mine. I have two other boys that have brought humor and trials of different sources into my life. All children are special. Again, thank you. Eileen
Apr 5th 2013 new
(Quote) Julie-42315 said: Three cheers!
(Quote) Julie-42315 said:

Three cheers!

--hide--

Neill thanks you too Julie! He is a little bit of a flirt.
Posts 11 - 13 of 13