Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 10th 2013 new

1. Captain Kangaroo.
2. Bing Crosby & the Hollywood Palace.
3. Paper straws (my parents did not allow chewing gum, this was the closest thing we had!).
4. Hostess Sno-balls, a 2-pack for 9 cents
5. Swimming all day. We had a pool, and during the summer months we'd spend ten hours a day in the water.

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Oh wow. :-)) 1. long summer nights on the front porch talking and laughing 2. long...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Oh wow. :-))

1. long summer nights on the front porch talking and laughing

2. long talks at the dinner table during the winter

3. my daily visits with grandma Gen to watch Bonanza and High Chapparal with her.

4. Summers at the cabin

5. riding bikes, playing ball, roaming the neighborhood with my friends and walking my St. Bernard :-).

Lots of things to miss :-). Walking over to pick up my friend Lacy for Mass and she was always late, so we would have to race like crazy through two backyards hopping fences, coming out right beside the convent lol and race across the school yard to get to Mass on time. They put a lock on the gate once thinking it would slow us down or stop us, but it didn't, we just climbed the fence, dresses, heels and all. We never missed Mass though :-) Had a few torn stockings but we always made it :-). If we had ever been late we wouldn't have been allowed to go together.

--hide--
Lauren, you're lucky your grandmother liked Bonanza. Whem mine came to visit we had to switch to Lawrence Welk- pure torture! Bonanza was a weekly ritual in our house. cowboy CowGirl

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: 1. Anticipating a letter from my Grandpa in Ireland and then sitting don and writing a 3 page r...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

1. Anticipating a letter from my Grandpa in Ireland and then sitting don and writing a 3 page response front and back.

2. Bike riding with my sister...freedom

3. Listening to my Mother's spooky childhood stories.

4. Playing Old Maid, Buttons, Bingo, board games at the kitchen table drinking tea with my Mom and sisters and brother.

5, Learning how to dance on the porch to records on the victrolka.
--hide--
Eileen, I too remember the freedom of riding our bikes for miles along country roads. There have always been dangerous people out there, but they were not on anyone's 'radar' back then. By today's standards, my parents would be considered negligent because they had no idea where we were all day in the summer.

Apr 10th 2013 new

1. 2 1/2 months off in the summer. I say we institute that in the grown-up world.
2. "Grandkids" week with my grandma, cousins, and brothers in the mountains of WV in July. This included picking blackberries and making our own jam, jumping/swimming in the creek with our "creek shoes" (shale bottomed creek would tear up barefoot feet), playing wiffleball until dark, catching fireflies, and roasting hotdogs over an open flame.
3. Ice cream trucks in the summer time.
4. Sledding down our driveway after a good wet snow.
5. Riding bikes, jumping ramps, playing freezetag, and "King of the Mountain".

Apr 10th 2013 new

1. Being able to walk farther with my crutches.

2. Wiffle ball games in the back yard.

3. St. Brigid's Parish, where I received my First Communion and was confirmed. (The Archdiocese of Detroit closed it in the late '80s; the building is now home to a Protestant church.)

4. One of the custodial staff at Renaissance High School who was a fellow Trekkie and called me "Captain". vulcan

5. The family dogs -- Josie, who died in October 1984, and Tippy, who joined the family a few months after we lost Josie.

Apr 10th 2013 new

Collecting eggs on my grandparents' farm, walking 1.5 miles to high school, fresh peaches, plums, apricots, nectarines from the farm, listening to Elvis Presley on the radio, cruising on Saturday nights, movies that cost 25 cents, my white buck shoes, summer vacation Bible school, the beautiful home sewn clothes my mother lovingly made for me, and the 55 Chevy my dad bought me for HS graduation.

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Lauren, you're lucky your grandmother liked Bonanza. Whem mine came to visit we had to switch...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Lauren, you're lucky your grandmother liked Bonanza. Whem mine came to visit we had to switch to Lawrence Welk- pure torture! Bonanza was a weekly ritual in our house.

--hide--

My dad was the Lawrence Welk lover lol I remember them well. And, Hee Haw!!! I had an Aunt who never missed Hee Haw for anything. On Saturday mornings we would watch Roy Rogers. I actually love Westerns. Rawhide, The Rifleman, The Big Valley. . .those are some really good memories :-)

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: My dad was the Lawrence Welk lover lol I remember them well. And, Hee Haw!!! I had an A...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

My dad was the Lawrence Welk lover lol I remember them well. And, Hee Haw!!! I had an Aunt who never missed Hee Haw for anything. On Saturday mornings we would watch Roy Rogers. I actually love Westerns. Rawhide, The Rifleman, The Big Valley. . .those are some really good memories :-)

--hide--
Still miss the Duke. All you mentioned plus Hopalong Cassidy, the Cisco Kid, Have gun will Travel, Gunsmoke...probably more but I can't recall right now.

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Still miss the Duke. All you mentioned plus Hopalong Cassidy, the Cisco Kid, Have gun will Travel...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Still miss the Duke. All you mentioned plus Hopalong Cassidy, the Cisco Kid, Have gun will Travel, Gunsmoke...probably more but I can't recall right now.

--hide--

Yes Gunsmoke, how could I have forgotten that one lol. . .The Gene Autry films as well. . .

Apr 10th 2013 new
Airwolf, CHIP's
Posts 21 - 30 of 36