Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 8th 2013 new

Aw, that's a bummer! And that's kind of strange that they would have it just in summer. Hang in there!

Apr 8th 2013 new

Another thing would be to see about faith building programs or devotionals! Just simply going to other things (perhaps Benediction on Wednesday or participating in the First Saturday Devotion) and people will want to talk to you. Don't just try to make friends with the singles, but with anyone really. At least you could get started. ;-)

I'm with you on the tired thing Megan...my job is a killer for my social ife...doesn't matter if I'm not actually working, I'm so tired and worn out I'm not good company for a situation where I have to put on my good face.

Apr 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Megan-667121 said: Naomi- Oh man, that had to be as bad as changing houses, lol. Funny you mention that about coffe ...
(Quote) Megan-667121 said:

Naomi- Oh man, that had to be as bad as changing houses, lol. Funny you mention that about coffe and donuts. We had after mass today and I went and hung out for like 10 minutes, enjoying my coffee and donut and no one said hi. It was ME saying hello and trying to strike up conversations, but nothing :( Ahh well, maybe the next time. I went out and enjoyed the sunshine and warm temps instead. Oh Virginia is a lovely place!!

--hide--

You could always just move to the South. We talk to strangers, feed them, and welcome them to our houses down here. ;-) wave

Apr 8th 2013 new

I've moved quite a bit over the years for school and work, but I've only been Catholic since the last move. What has worked for me in general when moving to a new city is joining volunteer organizations. I'm in a national organization so there's always an instant network so to speak wherever I move. I love the arts so I usually find a young professionals group for that. I think the same rules can apply to church. At my home parish, I met a bunch of people through RCIA. There are also young adult activities as well and other activities (Bible study, etc). At my other parish, there are less activities and mostly older people and families so outside of polite conversation here and there after mass, I only officially know the monsignor at that parish. I met several friends by going to recollections as well (although I am not a member).

So get out there, be a little bit of a social butterfly and good luck!

Apr 8th 2013 new
In this case I'd rent a Mercedes and bring along a little kid with me every Sunday. Jk. Who cares what they think. Did someone express to you that this churches mold is that parishioners be married with kids and have money? Because if they did then someone should contact Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld to do a reunion show and have that as one of the things that happens to them.
Apr 8th 2013 new

Thanks Joy. I'm trying too!

Naomi- The summer I spent in STL nearly killed me (100 degrees heat AND humidity for SIX straight weeks!!!), so while I don't mind visiting the south, moving there might not be the smartest idea, lol!

Apr 8th 2013 new

Claudine- All good ideas, if only I could figure out which volunteer/service organization I wanted to join up with, lol. But seriously, I'm making an effort with our local Young Professionals org. but alas they have a lot of stuff on worknights when I really just wanna hit the gym and go home :/ I am trying though being a social butterfly when you don't want to bug other people is hard.

Apr 8th 2013 new

Frank- OK, you made me LOL for real! :) To be serious, no one expressed that to me, but its the impression I got from just looking around during mass. It also leads in to my rant agains the Catholic Church, which seems to only WANT those kind of people, and thus caters to them exclusively. And to the old folks with money. Seems to me that the church doesn't care about our demographic unless we can give it lots of money....

Apr 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Megan-667121 said: Claudine- All good ideas, if only I could figure out which volunteer/service organization I wante...

Claudine- All good ideas, if only I could figure out which volunteer/service organization I wanted to join up with, lol. But seriously, I'm making an effort with our local Young Professionals org. but alas they have a lot of stuff on worknights when I really just wanna hit the gym and go home :/ I am trying though being a social butterfly when you don't want to bug other people is hard.

--hide--

I hear you Megan! That's why it has to be something you enjoy, that you wouldn't mind doing after a long day of work. However, sometimes, you really DO need to just stay in and recharge instead of going to every event. I bet there are a bunch of groups in Rochester. I hope you find at least one that you like.

Apr 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Megan-667121 said: Frank- OK, you made me LOL for real! :) To be serious, no one expressed that to me, but its the impression I g...

Frank- OK, you made me LOL for real! :) To be serious, no one expressed that to me, but its the impression I got from just looking around during mass. It also leads in to my rant agains the Catholic Church, which seems to only WANT those kind of people, and thus caters to them exclusively. And to the old folks with money. Seems to me that the church doesn't care about our demographic unless we can give it lots of money....

--hide--

Lol Thanks Megan, I'm glad I could make you laugh. Don't worry about it though. I know it's tough because people see a single person at mass and that brings on anxiety at least for me. It's another cross we need to bear I guess.
Posts 31 - 40 of 40