Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 7th 2013 new

A second war?

They're (and remember the U.S. still has troops stationed in South Korea) still fighting the first! No peace treaty was ever signed, only an armistice.

Apr 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Charles-211696 said: A second war? They're (and remember the U.S. still has troops stationed in South...
(Quote) Charles-211696 said:

A second war?

They're (and remember the U.S. still has troops stationed in South Korea) still fighting the first! No peace treaty was ever signed, only an armistice.

--hide--
I have nothing to base this on, but I have a feeling both the US and South Korea are getting fed up with the cost and aggravation from dealing with a nutball who's Happy Meal is missing a few french fries. Probably all air strikes- bombing runs, shipborne cruise missiles, etc., Ground forces would be used for mop-up operations only and hopefully just South Korean troops. They've known where the targets are for a long time. We'll alert the Chinese first- we'd better. God help any pilot that gets shot down though! I think it would be done in part for humanitarian reasons. With any luck, a cruise missile would find Baby Huey sipping on a glass of Chivas Regal and send him to Commie heaven.

Apr 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: I have nothing to base this on, but I have a feeling both the US and South Korea are getting fed ...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

I have nothing to base this on, but I have a feeling both the US and South Korea are getting fed up with the cost and aggravation from dealing with a nutball who's Happy Meal is missing a few french fries. Probably all air strikes- bombing runs, shipborne cruise missiles, etc., Ground forces would be used for mop-up operations only and hopefully just South Korean troops. They've known where the targets are for a long time. We'll alert the Chinese first- we'd better. God help any pilot that gets shot down though! I think it would be done in part for humanitarian reasons. With any luck, a cruise missile would find Baby Huey sipping on a glass of Chivas Regal and send him to Commie heaven.

--hide--

Here's the problem; even if we ignore NK nuclear weapons, they have so much conventional artilery in range of Seoul that there first couple of days will be a bloodbath for SK civilians, and there is basically absolutely nothing we can do about that. We can't destroy if fast enough to prevent a significant death toll.

I think you're right that the U.S. and SK are feeling less tolerant towards NK, but I doubt SK is willing to fire the first shot, and I doubt the U.S. would fire it without SK's blessing (or so I hope).

Apr 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-252799 said: en.wikipedia.org
(Quote) Brian-252799 said:

en.wikipedia.org

--hide--

I hope China gets really disgusted with the little general. Then NK might back off their nuclear weapons and
flexing their muscles.

We should send Dennis Rodman back in. He kept SJU busy with basketball--a good thing.

As we all know, any little thing could start a war.

Apr 10th 2013 new

1. Charles is right. The original war is not over.
2. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.
3. I'm betting on sometime in the next 5 years.

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: I have nothing to base this on, but I have a feeling both the US and South Korea are getting fed ...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

--hide--
Hi Peter, this situation reminds me of the classic MAD question : Would a U S President risk an American death toll over any other country ? I suspect that ROK, Japan, Taiwan, and many others in Asia will not be holding their breath for the U S nuclear umbrella policy to be observed. ( Nor will KSA, Kuwait, Eastern Europe, Emirates, Turkey, etc. )

After four years of reduction, retreat, and " redefinition ", this article is highly interesting. The last sentence particularly focuses the accounting of stability. Comment # 8 captures the dilemma of the modern progressive world.

pjmedia.com

Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernie-645443 said: Hi Peter, this situation reminds me of the classic MAD question : Would a U S President risk an ...
(Quote) Bernie-645443 said:

Hi Peter, this situation reminds me of the classic MAD question : Would a U S President risk an American death toll over any other country ? I suspect that ROK, Japan, Taiwan, and many others in Asia will not be holding their breath for the U S nuclear umbrella policy to be observed. ( Nor will KSA, Kuwait, Eastern Europe, Emirates, Turkey, etc. )

After four years of reduction, retreat, and " redefinition ", this article is highly interesting. The last sentence particularly focuses the accounting of stability. Comment # 8 captures the dilemma of the modern progressive world.

pjmedia.com

--hide--
Thanks Bernie, I may not have much luck getting dates here on CM but at least I'm learning stuff!

Apr 11th 2013 new

I can't find the article now, but yesterday I saw a news item about a NK army officer that defected. He stated that the army is currently very divided. Perhaps the best outcome is a coup?

Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Steve-650539 said: I can't find the article now, but yesterday I saw a news item about a NK army officer that de...
(Quote) Steve-650539 said:

I can't find the article now, but yesterday I saw a news item about a NK army officer that defected. He stated that the army is currently very divided. Perhaps the best outcome is a coup?

--hide--
I imagine that would be the best possible outcome- purging the country of the Kim dynasy, and hoping the generals are rational enough to sit down with the South Koreans. On the other hand the Kim cult may be the only thing holding them together, like Yugoslavia's Tito during the cold war.

Posts 1 - 10 of 15